School for New Writers 5,012 members · 9,620 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

When you create several pages, it's pretty difficult to determine errors among the thousands of words put in. While you may not always notice these, a reader certainly will. However, scrutiny is extremely important, even on that scale.

An error is like an ant. One little one is hard to notice and of no major concern. However, when there is several abound, it becomes noticeable and will often find comments pointing these out. A proofreader/editor can absolve this, yes, but it's also best to double-check.

The problem many people may face is that they don't know if they really wrote well or not and made sure to minimize errors and believe that they didn't make any based on a notion that they had experience writing. Everybody makes mistakes. Everybody.

It doesn't matter if spelling, grammar, tensing, whatever. It's important to always give your work another skim over before you get ready to post it. The only way anyone can be certain that they're writing has a very trivial amount of errors is to look through and make sure that they're absolutely certain that there is no mistakes.

Again, the problem can be largely abated if you consult the help of a proofreader/editor, who will happily take care of your draft and correct it for you. But even us proofreaders can miss certain mistakes and conflicts.

So, the next time you think you're ready to submit a chapter to your story, look it over one final time. You may notice some things that would've gone quite awry if they weren't corrected in the first place.

Yeah, I've noticed this. I making a story and I've got the first chapter done. I've read through it about 3 times and still finding little mistakes here and there, like a misplaced comma or a 'hte' or 'teh'.

I absolutely rip my story apart before I post it, it has to be utterly perfect.

One thing I've always done is the One Day Rule: Write it and do what you can when you finish. And then don't look at it for a day or more. That way, you have fresh eyes and a fresh mind on it.

Now isn't that ironic.

:rainbowlaugh:

I saw that too and thought it was strange. For some reason one of them leads to a blank page and the other one leads to this current page.

ye double posted yer lecture and the other thread was deleted.

Oh,

Must've been me repeatedly clicking since my internet isn't always so stellar and takes a while to load things. .-.

never do that

never do that

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12