School for New Writers 5,013 members · 9,630 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

So, most characters on this site are your typical earth pony, pegasus, or unicorn. Perhaps sometimes you'll get an occasional batpony or alicorn OC, but I want to do something new. What is the craziest hybrid possible in the world of My Little Pony (cannon species please.)

I need some ideas about what species to make a certain character I want to write about and even what they look like/abilities. But mostly species! Things like Changelings, Kirins, Griffins, Seaponies, heck, even one of the comic species at this point! Tell me what the most interesting hybrid to you would be (yes they can be part pony) I would love to hear your ideas!

Kirin + zebra + batpony.

Nothing truly unique but has story potential to throw Equestria on its head with such an alicorn.

Actually... when I put a few cells on the question it breaks down. You already have a 'certain' character in mind and at that point I would say... "why not a pegasus, unicorn or earth pony?" As race clearly doesn't matter to the character or the story. (You do have a story, right?) It feels less like you care and more that you just want to tick off a diversity box.

What does the character being hybrid add to the story in question? If it would add drama then... how about a character flaw?

So I want to write a story set in the future of Equestria where there are more hyrbids due to all the species uniting after Twilights rule (G5 never happened) and sense this would be in the far future, hyrbids will have probably created even more hyrbids, maybe even creating their own species. That is why I'm looking beyond just pony hybrids because they aren't the only species (or the dominant one) in the future

You are assuming the interbreeding is the norm. (Your story so... yeah, it is)

So... when everything is put into the melting pot, if enough time passes, all will look relatively the same. (Though if The Cakes are any indication almosg nothing will change beyond a surpise! griffon instead of pegasus) Though smaller 'ethnicities' will disappear first as they just won't have a big enough impact to remain prominent features. Kirin, changelings and yaks (while one has fielded a small army [pathetic even by the bronze age standards] all are single village affairs) will fade fast with barely even a hint of a characteristic (those hints might be news worthy). In fact I don't expect anything to look kirinish or yakism except in geographicly near their present villages (after ten generations not even then).

The movies has a number of bipeds. Cat people, bird people... eh... yeti(?) people. Also minotuars. (Not to mention some ambiguous mutant things in Klugtown). Hippagriffs, griffins and more.

My general idea is the future will be cross between anthro and quadroped with feathers a prominent feature (whether they have wings is another matter) and working fingers being common (might stay a minority). Unicorn style magic might be in heavy decline (too few even havd horns as is) but if zebra and deer (comics) can be practiced by all that might surge in response.

The different ways of walking and a certain unity to features does sound very realistic. However, I also suspect there will be those who foresaw this genetic unification and wanting to maintain their differences, some species would've set aside breeding programs to help ensure that their pureblooded species survived. I can see most of the pony tribes doing this (Although Earth Ponies might be more open minded and I could see a lot of earthpony, yak, buffalo, and even zebra hybrids because they all specialize in strength or are more connected to the earth)
So I can see hybrids happening based on special talents, like who can fly, who can do magic, and who is connected to the earth. And then of coure, you have all the oddities inbetween

What about sleipnir? Maybe it's a hybrid pony and spider monster?

How about pony + human (pony with hands instead of front hooves)? Seems kinda cute to me

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8