School for New Writers 5,012 members · 9,620 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
Piquo Pie
Group Contributor

Yes, I cheated with this lecture. But if you think you could explain it more eloquently than that then be my guest and use the space below.

*Standing ovation*
Now I get it!

Bluegrass Brooke
Group Contributor

4127131 Short, sweet, and to the point! Best kind of lecture in my book. :eeyup:

I remember my English teacher talking about this once :0 Very important

I am most absolutely going to remember that now. Thank you!

AIPĀ§ :rainbowdetermined2:

My sentences are probably all too long. Well, at least I don't fragment. I'll have to re-read my fic that I am about to post.

4151601 Well now I'm curious. Is it better to create fragments and run on sentences to vary line length, or have lots of lines of similar length? Ideally you would find a way to avoid both, but if you can't, then what?

My sentences aren't technically run-ons either, thanks to strategic phrasing and comma placement, but they are still on the long side (like this sentence, but usually a little longer).

I think there is always a way to avoid sentences being fragments, run-ons, or too similar. You can always combine two fragments, or break apart a run-on. Same goes for sentences of similar length. I might try to add an example when I am not typing on a smartphone screen, or can think of one.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9