Twishy 1,121 members · 504 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

Hey there,

After reading a chapter in The Audience by realitycheck i got thinking a bit.
In there he/she states that the norm for teaching Pegasi how to fly is flawed becouse not all wingshapes are the same and thus it could be concluded that the "weak flyers" such as Fluttershy and Scootaloo are not weak, they just need a different style of flight.

So my brain got working a bit, what if this was not just for Pegasi, but also for the others?
What if the shape of the horn could influence on what field of magic it would best be used for? What if the shape and size of the hoof of an Earth Pony could tell you wether the owner would be more usefull as a crafter, farmer, smith and the likes?
Just becouse the different shapes manipulate the magical field differently.

So thats where this idea for a story came up.

Story line:
After hearing Sweety say that her horn may just not be suited for magic after failing to levitate a feather for the umpteenth time her defacto teacher in magic 101 Twiligh Sparkle gets a idea.
A idea that might revolutionize the way foals are being taught how to use their own magic.

What if the size and shape of their influentors (Horn, hooves and wings) actually can be used as a indicator to what their special talent may be leaning towards (speaking in terms of magicalfields such as manipulation, conjuration, weather controll ectr.) and that the way things are taught now may cause problems because of the standartisation of teaching.
Curious and scholary like always Twi sets out to investigate this, along the way she recruits the help of the only pony she knows to know more about nature and evolutionary steps then her books; Fluttershy

And of course, as a TwiShy fan i cannot help myself to let the adorkable couple grow a bit more closer during the story :yay:

So here`s my question. Should i decide and make this into a story, would the prompt be good enough to carry it?

In my opinion that is a good premise i i will like to read it, but the final decision should be yours.

...I really like this idea!

Connecting the shipping to the plot would be a good idea too, it always irritates me when the author throws in a random pairing that the story would work just fine without, so I'd be a hypocrite for not praising the precaution you're taking of ensuring the pairing happens as a direct result of the plot :twilightsmile:

Of course, said unnecessary pairings tend to be stuff like TwiDash (:pinkiesick:) and Twixie (:flutterrage:) so yeah

I agree to this.
As for Twidash: Never happening, Dash is obviousely as straight. And eventually their differences would clash tremendously.
And don't even get me started on the potential problems Twixie has.

In my headcanon only Shy is a lesbian (Reason of thought: experience IRL; Its always the cute ones who play for the other team) and Twi is either bi or pan (Rest of the mane six is straight). And this pairing can work becouse they are both somewhat quiet and reserved, respectfull of the other, have no problems with a night in without all the hubbub amongs other things.

that's an awful lot of world building to go into a romance fic.

I get that it's tempting to have something unrelated and big going on to draw them together, but don't let that distract you from the fact that the primary conflict needs to be romance related- just look at 'flying high, falling hard' for an object lesson in what focusing on too many things can do to a fic.

There's not enough info to tell us who is or isn't straight, so the only good arguments are ones based on personality- Rarity and Dash is a crackship because their personalities just don't mesh well(and not in the love-to-hate-you way Applejack and Rarity do), not because any character is straight. If someone wants them to be gay for the purposes of their fic, well, that's their business, isn't it? (though making Rarity gay takes a biiit more work....)

In a story as this the romance would need to be created very carefully. Certainly not a overnight thing you see happen so often.
And something unrelated and big? Call me a idiot, but if i find it more likely for two friends to find eachother like this when working closely together (and thus learning a lot more about eachother then they normally would) on a project as this then by having a crush fall out of thin air.
But maybe thats just me being strange, but i`ve never had a relationship or a crush fall into my lap like what you normally read about.

And i know about the pitfalls you speak off, it will be hard i agree. And for the warning i thank you.

As for the shipping? Aah, we can all have our little dreams and headcannons right? :fluttershysad:

I think this is a good concept. There is a sound premise and room for development. Go for it, I say! I would probably give it a read. If you execute it well, it could be thoroughly entertaining.

For some ideas on how a story from this genre can play out (also, to see Twilight geeking out a whole lot), have a look at Mood Wings by tchernobog. Excellent piece of writing which encompasses many of the aspects of what you're aiming for in your own piece. Notice how the author doesn't bog down the story with ridiculous amounts of detail. Remember this.

Another good example is In Search of Knowledge by thehalfelf. It's CheeriTwi, so brace yourself from that. It's incomplete too, but the concept of that is, again, quite similar to your own. In fact if you read those two stories, it should give you enough idea of how to write this genre as to make any other background reading unnecessary (except the canon, of course).

1856860 I too, think Dash is straight, but that aside, great character she may be, between her...high self-esteem and...abrasive personality, she's not the most appealing romantic prospect. Not for Twilight, anyway, so I doubt Twi would fall for her in the first place

Ha ha, don't even get ME started on the problems with Twixie :ajsmug:

I can see either Twilight or Fluttershy as being lesbian, mainly due to the Woobie factor. Discovering one's sexuality would be an upsetting time, and who is better at getting the audience to feel sorry for them then Twilight or Fluttershy? This show IS all about tugging at our heartstrings, afterall

The other four I can see going either way, or both.

I agree, TwiShy works EXTREMELY well personality-wise :raritywink:

I know of In search of knowledge, and i will most definately read moodwings aswell. I find it wise to look at other writers to see how they tackled a certain problem.
Afterall: Why reïnvent the wheel?

I knew i wassn't the only one :yay:

Doctor Proctal
Group Contributor

Man, cealdra, I just love reading your stuff. You have such great ideas. I say go for it. Sounds fascinating.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10