Twilight's Library 4,830 members · 6,274 stories
Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30
Oni
Group Admin

This is the Competition Thread (Duh).
First Competition will start on Monday, May 13th at 4:00PM This Time Zone and end 2 days later, in the same time zone.

The Prompt is the concept of scootaloo being an orphan (Tip of a hat to Arcum). Word constraints are a minimum of 3K words, all the way up to 11K Words. story does not have to finish or end in that word length, just be a viable story.

Turn in your stories via this thread.

The Judges are:

Myself, as a all-around judge focusing on grammar and spelling.
and LordChrysalis as the only of us that has published a story on here. he will be more focused on the story elements.

Judging will go as follows:

The Judges will split the entries into two halves, one to be read through by each. after reading through the submissions each judge will choose their 2 favorite stories. each of these will be read over by each of the judges. and we will decide on the best, and list the runners up alongside it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All later competitions will also be headed on this thread, or if we gain enough stories we will gather them in a secondary group while using this one as a hub.

976336 Scootaloo is a changeling :moustache:

Oni
Group Admin

To Clarify, when i mean to put the stories here, i mean to publish them then link them on here. an extra bit of time may be added if fimfic gets frisky with your story while it's going through.

Oni
Group Admin

976423 one of many ways to interpret the situation.

arcum42
Group Admin

Just make sure they aren't password protected, and even if the submission hasn't gone through, we'll be able to read them. I should probably add a Contest Entries and Contest Winners folder for this, thinking about it.

I suspect as the head of this group, I shouldn't participate in the contest myself (at least, under this name). Of course, I've mined most of my orphan Scootaloo ideas already anyways. (And I was, in fact, writing a scene involving a version of Scootaloo who is an orphan earlier today. It's for one of my ongoing fanfics, though.)

Also, I posted a notice about the contest over on the Scootaloo group, since I figured it was of general interest there.

976336 So yeah... IM STOKED. But in regards to thee topic, and or main theme of the fic. It just has to have her as an orphan right? It could be she's a orphan by day but a super hero at night sort of deal, or am I just completely clueless in this.:derpytongue2:

Also, any rating restrictions? :twilightblush:

Oni
Group Admin

976509 so long as she is an orphan in the fic and that is a main theme, your golden. The only rating restriction is no mature. (Gore or clop.)

Oni
Group Admin

976451 thanks.

Oni
Group Admin

976451 i can organize the fics myself through a secondary group, if you want.

I had a possible idea for a fic in this contest, though now I'm realizing it may not fit the prompt. Would it still count as an orphan!Scootaloo fic if Scootaloo starts out adopted and the premise is her learning of her biological family? (also, in this scenario, does it matter if the parents are alive or dead if I don't have plans for them to appear in the present?)

Oni
Group Admin

977435 orphan in the sense that the parents are gone. be they dead or otherwise disposed.

oh, and just so everyone knows. the comp has begun.

Oni
Group Admin

oh, the fics will be organized here

977063 Oh one more question here. Can we have more than just a oneshot? By which I mean, can we make it so that there is a possibility of future chapters? Or would it be preferable to have one shots only. :applejackunsure:

Oni
Group Admin

The Prompt is the concept of scootaloo being an orphan (Tip of a hat to Arcum). Word constraints are a minimum of 3K words, all the way up to 11K Words. story does not have to finish or end in that word length, just be a viable story.

by that i mean, if it is going to be more then what is submitted, what is submitted has to be a actual story in and of itself.

the actual storyline does not have to end in that wordlength.

986485 woops, i guess I didn't see that part of the original post :twilightblush:
oh that's embarrassing... Okay, I'm good now...
Have there been many story posts thus far btw?

Oni
Group Admin

986519 Nu, and this worries me...

986738 give it time. There may be a lot of last minute submissions. :raritywink:

Oni
Group Admin

986757 Quality over Qauntity. i feel the tiniest bit of regret choosing scootaorphan cause i'm quite sure a few submissions will make me cry/die a bit inside.

Oni
Group Admin

Time for the writing is extended to Thursday at 4PM in the same time period. suggestion from LordChrysalis that the amount of time allotted wasn't much for a good 3-7k story.

arcum42
Group Admin

I feel I bit guilty about not volunteering to judge, since I know ultimately that I'll read all of them, too. Too many things going on, though.

That's also why I'm not going to enter under anonymously under a different handle. for the record, if I had entered, here's the idea I probably would have used:

Scoots At Your Service
After Rainbow Dash saves Scootaloo from a Timberwolf, Scootaloo insists that according to the Crusader Code, she has to serve Rainbow Dash for the rest of her days. After an afternoon of misadventures as Scoots "helps" her, Rainbow gets suspicious.

Eventually she figures out that the "timberwolf" was built by the crusaders, and animated by Sweetie Belle. Scootaloo is actually an orphan, and it was all a setup to trick Rainbow into letting Scoots stay with her. Though upset, she takes Scootaloo in anyways...

Ok, so I didn't like Spike At Your Service, and think it would have been a better Scootaloo episode... :scootangel:

988703 lol, good Idea. Mine deals with her inner feelings of having to deal with being an orphan. Doesn't sound like much I know but... I'm no good with descriptions. :applejackunsure: oh well. It's a lot better then what it sounds. That I can promise you! :rainbowkiss:

987219 I'm actually glad it was extended. Although it's just about done as is I wasn't sure if it would go through moderation in time. And I didn't want to make any of the judges go through any hassles for me. :pinkiesmile:

arcum42
Group Admin

Thanks. Still might use it someday. Obviously not in this contest, though. Of course, I had an idea today about Apple Bloom and Twist as Magical Girls, battling Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara as they try to take over Ponyville with an army of giant spoons. I might write that, too. :scootangel:

Keep in mind that if you take the password protection off of the fanfic, anyone can access it via a link, even if it hasn't passed moderation, or, indeed, been submitted. In fact, you can add it to a group and other people will see it there and be able to read it without it having passed moderation. For example, this fanfic is not submitted.

This is, in fact, why my fanfic Cubic Zirconia had 6 likes by the time it was approved. I blogged about it and added it to groups right after submitting it, and approving it took almost a full day. :unsuresweetie:

988867 I had no idea that I could post stories to groups before being approved for moderation. THAT EXPLAINS SO MUCH! I always wondered how people could have like 10 votes already and they were so new to the recently updated tab on the site. Things are becoming clear! :yay:

arcum42
Group Admin

Yeah, didn't realise that would work till I absentmindedly did it. :pinkiehappy:

You can put them in feature boxes on your user page without them being submitted, too. I did this with a few of my canceled or stalled out unpublished fics, which is why I had an example on hand.

976336 I hope I'm not the only one that participated in this.:twilightoops:

Here's my fic though. It shouldn't have a password lock, but if it does just type in Scootaloo. <- Cap sensitive.

Oni
Group Admin

993058 you win by virtue of being the only entry.

seriously.

994127do I win Internet points?

Oni
Group Admin

994414 hmm, *hears conspiratorial whispering* 3 will do. yes, indubitably *must keep the precious. the preeeeeeeeeecioooooous*

994985 Sweet! I now have a grand total of 3!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30