The Hero... Queen Chrysalis??? 1,736 members · 385 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

So in the Greek language there is a word that as far as I know has no identical or direct translation in English or other languages.

That word is "Φιλότιμο".

Φιλότιμο=Φίλος((friend))+τιμή((price, honor, cost. Usually refers to honor in most uses and has negative connotations when used with price or cost)).

((using my own knowledge of Greek I tried to translate the definitions given))

One who has the feeling of honor and dignity and wishes to be appreciated by others
The hardworking, diligent, trying consciously to meet its obligations or to stand out in the operating area with his/her actions
One who is generous with money, if that helps or takes care of someone
(by extension) distinguished by pride.

While the word doesn't exactly translate to pride... the actual word is "υπερηφάνεια" it isn't cut from it either. Some phrases where it is used say "Since we invented 'sorry' 'Φιλότιμο' was lost to us."

Now you might think... what does this have to do with Chrysalis? Well I'm glad you asked. You see I saw this http://www.fimfiction.net/story/230765/world-of-traitors in a recent lazy afternoon while in fimfiction. And I was like... wait-a-minute... this reminds me of something. So the word came to my mind. Then I read this... http://www.fimfiction.net/story/89289/noblesse-oblige and then comes the fitting video...

In any case I invite people to use this word to their advantage. I know some have portrayed Chrysalis hammy ((QUEEN OF HAM CHRYSALIS FTW!!!)) and prideful beyond measure but here's the thing. What if that pride to her honor... has reason? We know very well how cultural meetings can end up in misunderstandings that end up in wars. I don't exactly remember where this example is from but there was a race of aliens that used to greet other races by showing off their weapons and arsenals in their battleships. It was their custom... and the humans felt threatened and saw this as a sign of war and attacked them.

I wouldn't be suprised if the changelings acted as a Barbaric Horde that values honor greatly. And look at how Yaks declared war for the smallest of issues like ponies trying to please them. I realize that said misunderstandings can be solved, but stubborness and pride can lead to extreme results like a needless war. I wouldn't put it past Chrysalis for her to be a prideful warrior that took pleasure in conquering the opposing nation that "insulted" her.

For example pony thieves could have stolen love crystals thinking them for shiny gems full of magic. Or it could be the reverse... biological differencies could lead into mistaken food poisoning which could then escalate. But this isn't even needed to be a mistake and they don't even need to be a barbaric horde... it could be intentional. Staged by either side, backdoor politics, traitors or third party/nation that stages said misunderstanding to profit of the conflict or rule over them both after they are done waging war. Then changelings and Chrysalis get called up their honor, their pride, their dignity ((Φιλότιμο)) making a war erupt. I for one plan a story using said idea... but I just thought that sharing it might be good for everyone. So... what do you think?

I don't exactly remember where this example is from but there was a race of aliens that used to greet other races by showing off their weapons and arsenals in their battleships. It was their custom... and the humans felt threatened and saw this as a sign of war and attacked them.

It's from the great Science-Fiction show Babylon 5. The beginning of the Earth-Minbari war.

The reasoning behind the Minbari custom to display their weapons as a sign of peacefulness is also actually surprisingly logical. From their perspective, it's precisely a sign of peaceful intentions to show the other side exactly what you've got, while concealing your weapons would precisely mean that you plan something you're not letting on.

4572176 Very Interesting. Like "you cant plan a murder out loud" right?

4572203 Thank you for this. Any other thoughts?

Well... the comics aren't really canon, but ever since I've read the Chrysalis issue of FIENDship is Magic, I have trouble seeing Chrysalis as anything else but evil, honestly. I still want to see it differently, of course, and I still enjoy stories where Chryssie is painted in a different light. A Canterlot Wedding still left the interpretation open that maybe she was just worried about the well-being of her starving subjects, and I still like this interpretation very much. But if we go by this, more complex variants like yours aren't even necessarily needed, methinks.

Another interesting question is whether Chrysalis is the only changeling queen and whether other queens have different approaches. FIENDship is Magic somewhat suggests that Chrysalis is the only one. But my own fanfictions will also feature other queens than her in the near future, some of them more reasonable and even somewhat benevolent.

4572716 Well I was thinking about an alternative for the "starvation" thing. Like honor and being insulted.

I actually like the idea that they feed on positive emotions very much. I also think it's motive enough for what we see in Canterlot Wedding.

4573197 I see love as an allegory for life and the intensity with which we live our lives/emotions.

An emotion is an allegory for the intensity of our emotions. I actually like that, it's very dialectical. :pinkiehappy:

Okay, that's just me being snippy again. I can get behind the idea that they feast on some kind of "life energy" - it's arguably quite in line with what we see in the comics - as long as this is closely connected to actual positive emotions.

4573209 I would picture it like the force. Positive life force and emotions are like radiating suns while negative are like black holes.

Well, there are also entities in canon that feed on negative emotions. The Tantabus, for example.

4572716 During SDCC (I think this year), didn't Meghan basically say the shows weren't bound by the comics? I took that to mean the comics aren't canon. Also, the MLP comics are (as far as I've seen) not really as mature as the show.
==
On another note, that song is fucking amazing.

During SDCC (I think this year), didn't Meghan basically say the shows weren't bound by the comics? I took that to mean the comics aren't canon.

The comics are what could be called semi-canon. They indeed aren't strictly binding for the writers of the show - e.g. the Nightmare Rarity arc and the Tantabus episode contradict each other in several points. But as I see it, they also aren't completely unrelated. I go by the rule of thumb that if the comics contradict the show, the show takes precedence.

Also, the MLP comics are (as far as I've seen) not really as mature as the show.

Depends on which one you look at. The prequel story of Cadence and Shining Armor clearly isn't. I think it's rather silly. I also don't like the Nightmare Rarity arc, but the writers of the show also constantly fail to handle the Spike / Rarity relationship. On the other hand, Return of Chrysalis is an awesome adventure story, and Zen and the Art of the Gazebo Repair is great comedy. I would love to see a version of Art of the Gazebo Repair as an episode of the show.

The comics are what could be called semi-canon.

So like the old Star Wars EU I guess?

Is that a Peryton profile pic?

No, it's a caribou wearing a cape.

I see the comic as fanfic like so ther not canon but as clous as it can be i have not read them yet

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17