The Lunaverse 2,571 members · 202 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13
Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

"If she's so dangerous that the law considers her an actually disaster, why doesn't somepony make it illegal for her to enter Ponyville"

Questions like this have popped up a couple times now in the comments for GOtL Ch3. Now this is of course a shared universe project, so contributors are free to put their own spin on the subject, but I still figured I should try and clear some things up before anyone gets too many weird ideas. To that end, I've compiled my original intentions and thoughts on the matter into this one easy to find post.

1) The laws involved here have been abused. They were only ever meant to be applied to localized phenomena like the Everfree Forest or to exceptionally large/dangerous monsters like an ursa or dragon. The previous representative had to take advantage of several legal loopholes, plus a fair amount of obscuring the details to make it work, and even then it probably only sticks because Ponyville is a backwater nowhere town that rarely gets an oversight check.

As such there's really no way to use the classification to bar Dash from entering Ponyville. First off, as far as the books are concerned it would be like trying to legislate a fundamental constant, like gravity or the value of Pi. More importantly though, any attempt to do so on the grounds that she also happens to be a pony would only result in drawing attention to the fact that laws involved have been abused, thus losing the classification and the associated disaster relief funding

It really would be a rather silly story anyway. Maybe if Dash was a main character, but as is trying to focus too much on it would only put her into too much of an undo spotlight.

2) Very few citizens of Ponyville actually know about it. Raindrops, who works side by side with Dash didn't know. Trixie only knew because Cheerilee told her, and the teacher was the only pony that came in to file a direct claim. As I see it this is because the mayor is running what could be considered a minor scam; where citizens report damages claims to city hall, which are then compiled into a monthly claim for the town as a whole; then the citizens are paid the bare minimum to cover the damage with all excess funding going into the town's coffers to pay for public works projects. I suppose the cynical could assume that the mayor is taking a personal cut to put in her own pockets, but as Cheerilee seems complacent with the current setup, I doubt that.

Keeping the number of ponies that actually know what's going on as low as possible would seem very important here. The more folks who know the greater the chance becomes that the legal abuses would come to an auditor's attention. I personally doubt that even Dash herself knows.

3) It was mostly just a one-off comedy gag. Don't try to overthink or take it too seriously. :pinkiehappy:

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

But overthinking a comedy gag can be comedic all on its own...

Blackbelt
Group Contributor

and here I was gonna make a joke about Scoot getting the same classification.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

312763 Maybe when she's older :rainbowlaugh:

Blackbelt
Group Contributor

You'll see what I mean when I get my story finished.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

But of course, heck the fact that I posted two rather drawn out overly detailed points before basicly saying not to do exactly that is kinda of its own joke as well.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

312778 Thw tornado cutie mark idea I had for Scootaloo feels more fitting than ever now :rainbowlaugh:

Blackbelt
Group Contributor

I always pictured a scooter wheel peeling out, kicking up a cloud of dust

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

312816 I always thought her talent would be in stunts in generals, not just with her scooter. I could see her making lots of loopings and barrel rolls and stuff once she can properly fly.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

312816 312820
I kinda like cutie marks that blend the talents together. So a peeling-out scooter wheel kicking up a tornado, or a speeding scooter wheel trailing lightning.

What interests me is how RD would react to the knowledge that she's been declared a destructive force of nature. Given the most of her bluster covers up self-doubt both in this timeline and in the Celestiaverse, I don't think that she'd take it all that well. (She'd also wonder why other ponies :derpyderp1:weren't on the list.)

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

You know, as fun as it is to explore Dash's hidden weak-side in the likes of Sonic Rainboom and Carrot Top of the Line, it is important to remember that ego of hers isn't all bluster. A good portion of it really is her being that full of herself. I suppose she might be concerned if she took it 100% serious when some one told her, but she's probably far more likely to blow the whole thing off as a ludicrous joke. Heck she might even be proud to know she's on the same kind of list as Everfree storms and wild dragons. It certainly paints her as a force to be reckoned with, kinda like the notion that highly trained martial artist can be classified as a living weapons.

As for other ponies? Well, L:Ditzy is consciously careful to avoid engaging in activities where her eye condition could cause unwanted damage, so she isn't near as much of problem as her more carelessly reckless M! counterpart who is pretty much proof positive that no one came up with a similar idea in the mane-line, or else fixing town hall in The Last Roundup would have been easy.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Oh, an addendum I just thought to add. Beyond the can't take Rainbow to court because it would risk revealing the legal shenanigans that got her classified as a disaster in the first place, I'd wager the Mayor has another reason for ignoring most Rainbow's bad behaviors.

It would not at all surprise my if the Posey's are making a sizable annual donation to the town budget to help incentivize the Mayor to just let Rainbow get away with being lazy at her job and occasionally destructive to the town.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13