Humanized Ponies! 3,473 members · 5,606 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Just a question, do you "humanize" the pony names or do you keep them as is?

Ex: Rainbow Dash as a human; is she still named Rainbow Dash or does her name become something like "Raina Dashiell"?

In the few humanized stories that I've read, they've all been the same as their pony names. I like the idea of more 'human' names, however.

I gave most of them different names in my humanized. It just wouldn't make sense having a chick named "Fluttershy" in my alt universe.

But I did try to keep their names fairly close to the canon.

481205 That can really depend on the writer, and also sometimes, the universe that the humanized ponies are set in.

Part of what you have to do with humanized ponies (or other forms that are not ponies) is that they still have to feel like the characters. Like say, you're given a humanized pony story and when you read it, you can say "Yes, this an MLP fanfiction", that's the sign of it done right.

The best way to give them human names in a humanized world is definitely when you made them ponies first, but then they changed to humans, and have to have human names in order to fit in.

But anyway, that's entirely up to the writer and again, going by what the rules in the universe set. If it's the real world, it's more than likely that giving them human names is the better bet. However, in some humanized universes, they keep their pony names.

What matters the most is that the reader feels they are reading the characters, even with different names. If you can look at, as you said, Raina Dashiell being the human Rainbow Dash and still connect the role to that character, you've succeeded.

It depends, are you planning on putting the mane six in the normal world? If you are putting the mane six in the human world then I suggest that you use there names as nicknames, do you understand me?

Dang it, I just read that in the guard's voice. You're a classy man.

I hadn't read it in the the guard's voice... till you mentioned it. No hope now.

Anyway. I have made a universe that is supposed to be very close to a replica of canon. In fact... they still use much of the same language. My thinking is that they actually evolved or were magically reformed from the pony forms some millennia ago. They aren't aware of this, but pony nature is in their culture, language and dna.

But that's my universe. If it's supposed to be characters based on the ponies on Earth, then yea... new names are needed.

I prefer pony names. After all, I'm here to read about the ponies that I've come to care about, not random people I've never heard of before.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8