Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

The more I think about it the more I come to realize compared to Twilight, Sunset does not deserve to become an Alicorn. Ignoring Cadence(I only understand Winning Cadence through "A Moment in the Sun" where she seems like a good kid but nothing that shows her deserving demigod hood, and "Northern Venture" where she is perfectly content to let Sunset die)
Twilight to earn her wings and muscles(for Earth Ponies) has: saved the world twice, saved Equestria once, helped save the Crystal Empire, helped many ponies become better and feel better, acted as a leader but also let those under her command take the reigns when they needed to.

Sunset has done none of that, she has saved many lives but she has not been as good of a leader as Twilight(if you can even call her a leader, I mean Kirkri follows her but no-one else does), nor done as much good, nor helped as many people. Many others more deserving then her in the verse did not become alicorns. I want her to become an Alicorn because I'm attached to Freeport, I want Freeport to be run by a wise immortal ruler for all of eternity, rather then Sunset's children(who in future generations will fall into debauchery), a counsel of great minds(ahem current system), even a democracy would not be good enough in my mind, democracies are flawed and can fall to oligarchies and dictatorships. I love Freeport enough that I want it to have an immortal, incorruptible, great leader guiding it with wisdom for all of eternity.
But maybe if Sunset could stay wise, kind, and uncrupted for all of eternity she would already have her wings and muscles.

No-one is perfect and eternity is a very long time. Plus I feel Sunset is one of those ponies who grows because she is pushed into a situation rather than the other way round.

I think in time she should become one. Denying her forever feels like a bad move.

perfect and staying a good leader are different. Celestia in this verse has been shown to have faults yet she has been an amazing ruler for more the a thousand years. She doubtless made mistakes but she has learned from them and grown.
Both Sunset and Twilight have also grown from adversity and have become better when they have been pushed into situations(with Twilight I'm thinking all the big world ending stuff and many interactions with friends) but the difference is Twilight has acted as more of a leader then Sunset, has been willing to listen to her own faults more(Not that Sunset is narcestic and thinks she's perfect, its just she like many have a hard time hearing critisim) and has simply done more.

As Torch pointed out there have been many great hero's willing to sacrifice their lives for others, only 4 of them are Alicorns.

Sunset is a hero worthy of praise and adulation but I don't think she is worthy or wings and muscles

At the same time I think there needs to be Alicorns outside of Equestria so that Equestria doesn't dominate the world.

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

I think Northern Venture shows that Sunset has some deep-seated issues related to alicorndom. Probably the most important difference is that unlike Twilight stumbling into it, Sunset made becoming an alicorn her life’s ambition (or deeply unhealthy self-destructive obsession). Sunset would be much better off dropping the whole idea of alicorndom until she gets some of those issues sorted out.

I agree, I just think Sunset hasn't earned Alicornhood, if someone else for another nation who is worthy gains demigod status I am all for it.

Alicorns is a strictly pony thing and very few nations have ponies other than Equestria. What I'm saying is outside Equestria she may be the best choice.

I mean there are some who seek power that are worthy of it. Wanting Alicornhood is not a bad thing, but only if its for a larger purpose(I want to be emperor, not for the sake of being emperor but because my country needs stability and restructuring(Hi Augustus)) Sunset wants Alicornhood for its own sake(seeking the Kingship because the title) thats not good nor the making of a good leader-Alicorn or no.
It is possible that Sunset in her mid 50's becomes worthy in both deed and the fact she no longer seeks wings and muscles for their own sake, and then becomes an Alicorn but I would still think of all the great ponies and non ponies that were heroes that fit those categories and did not become demigods.

Twilight got her Alicornhood from the Elements of Harmony, I always liked to believe the Elements did not have to go to ponies(and doesn't the young six prove that? I haven't watched past season 5). If so then if Twilight was a Donkey but in all other aspects the same person then wouldn't she still get the powers of Demigod hood, just a different way?
(Also best of unworthy options is not a good way of choosing great power)

True but I feel that the Alicorns are too pony centric. Look at Griffonstone, it's a wreck also the elements were made by ponies. Besides Alicorns are not beings of incredible purity even they have shadow sides. Besides should we really assume that is a strict set of criteria to become an Alicorn, I believe the question becomes what is she going to beocme the Alicorn of, each Alicorn represents an aspect of something. I see Sunset as the Alicorn of Ambition one who is willing to put her life on the line for her goals. Not every Alicorn is in the moral good area.

to your first point, yes Alicorn is to pony centric but that doesn't mean it isn't possible for other types of Demigods to exits.
secound point: I don't think the Elements where made by ponies unless the tree of harmony was made by ponies and I always the Tree of Harmony was a eternal part of the world. Similar to an actual God then a demigod.
3rd where is there evil alicorns? Luna was corrupted by the nightmares but she is in no way evil, and I don't think we see enough of her to know whether this was a mistake that she learned from or proof she was unworthy. (also it wasn't complelty her fault).
Finally: Sunset isn't ambitious she's obsessed, if someone who wants to be king for the power, their ambitious. If someone wants to be king for the fancy clothes and title their ridiculas and need to be dissuaded from getting the monarchy.

Um Starswirl and his group created the tree. They said so when they returned, also from what I can tell Sunset is a seeker of power from what I can tell she doesn't care for all the trappings that come with it.

Ponibius
Group Contributor

It's been shown that Sunset's obsession with becoming an alicorn is a big part of what stood in her way of becoming an alicorn. The mere idea someone got to ascend before her was enough to make her assault another pony, and that decision and her inability to control herself have cost her. Her wanting to become an alicorn has largely been about herself, her desire to prove she's better than everyone else, and to prove she is worthy of her (surrogate) mommy's love. It's never been about helping others or being a good leader, it's all been an ego trip for her. Why it's been becoming an increasingly toxic part of her life, and why she's been becoming increasingly self destructive. She's hitting a point where she thinks she should have already ascended or be ascending real soon and it hasn't happened. Which just doesn't line up with her own view of herself.

As for the consequences of all that baggage, we'll probably see here in Northern Venture.

again havnt watched past season 5 so oops

she's not a seeker of power, your right it's not equivalent to wanting the clothes it's like wanting the kingship for the sole sake of being king

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

I’d say that analysis misses the years of character development she’s gone through. It certainly accurate for Sunset at the time of “A Moment in the Sun” but she’s gone through over three years of in-universe character development and maturing since then. Sunset’s changed a fair bit over the course of the series.

A big part of her arc in Northern Venture is realizing that none of the reasons she wanted to be an alicorn really apply after all the character development she’s gone through. The fact that she doesn’t even have an answer to “Why do you want to be an alicorn?” is pretty telling. The only reason she’s chasing that goal is inertia, because in her life and personality shifted away from that long ago.

As I understand it, in the Winningverse there are essentially two types of alicorns, lesser and greater alicorns. Twilight, Cadence, and potentially Sunset are lesser alicorns. Celestia, Luna, Sunbeam Sparkle in the AU, and what Shadow Kicker potentially could have been are greater alicorns. The difference is that lesser alicorns have access to large amounts of all three tribes magic, but not much more. Greater alicorns have access to something like quintuple(very rough estimate) the amount of magic as lesser alicorns, are immortal, and can see destinies to some degree.

So Sunbeam never really had a chance at becoming immortal God-Ruler of Freeport in the first place.

then I see no reason for Sunset to become an Alicorn

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19