Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

What's going to happen to the stories that havnt been updated in a long time? Will they be continued by a different author, cancelled? I'm sorry to be annoying

I’ve actually been wondering that myself.

updated, hopefully. Ultimately its up to the author.

You're not annoying.

But this guy?
They are awesome, and it confuses them.

Chengar Qordath
Group Admin

Yeah, authors get to decide whether to continue a story of pass it off to another writer.

I just prefer authors to be honest and to just cancel a story or preferably hand it over to someone else to take care of.

Ponibius
Group Contributor

Yeah, as said, it all depends on the individual authors. Unfortunately some authors lose the passion mid story, life gets in the way, or sometimes they just drop off the face of the earth.

I'd prefer if you were just honest and tell me when you step out of your home if you plan to return, or if you plan to give it to someone else. I realize it's yours to do with as you please, and not really any of my business, but please do keep me updated in real time on what you plan to do with all of your stuff. Everything that is yours. No matter what else of importance in your life might be going on and taking up your attention. Please make me a priority here.

That's hardly a fair comparison, ESPECIALLY when many Fanfic authors, ESPECIALLY the bigger ones like Chengar have Patreons. Which means it's not longer some little side hobby, but instead not unlike a JOB. Furthermore, the amount of time and energy required to update their fans to at least say "Hiatus" is typically pretty small. Even more so when often times one of the things that helps writers keep going is the love and devotion of their fans, and again their FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS.

This isn't some little project that someone has hidden away in their home solely for their own enjoyment. This has been put out on display on a busy street in public, where they have a donation jar right out next to their project space in public.

And lets not forget an oldy but a goody that usually stops a update: the author being an obsessive nutter and agonizing over every detail:trollestia:

No. They're still not required to keep you updated even then, unless you specifically signed a contract with them to that effect. If you're supporting someone financially (such as through Patreon), you always have the option to rescind that support if they fail to uphold their self-imposed promises.

On the other hand, the vast majority of authors on this site do this for fun. They have absolutely no obligation to keep their readers in the loop regarding their personal situation. So you can stop being so entitled any time now.

I don't think AyanamiRei was saying they are required I think she (sorry if this is putting words in your mouth) was saying that it would be nice. Yes they have no obligation and it shouldn't be demanded but there is nothing wrong for wanting an update on information. Even if you are not entitled to it that doesn't mean it is immoral to want it.

YES! That! I mean just putting up a simple notice to say that updates have stopped doesn't take much. Plus it stops people from sending messages asking when the next update will be.

It's a simple and quick thing an author can do. I don't see what the big deal is. I'm not asking for like...a written notice or blog updates or anything like that. Just something that would take an author a couple minutes at most, which in the long run could end up saving them time anyways.

Hell YOU are the one who used Required, NOT ME. I used the word "Prefer", NOT "Have" or "Must" or "Need".

And yet this thread exists, and you two are posting in it. That smacks of entitlement. Quit complaining about people who are providing free entertainment at their own pace, even if that pace has dropped to zero. If you're that starved for content, use the search function and wade through the bog instead of bothering other people.

I suspect that chengar is monitoring matters as we speak... type... whatever, so to avoid any thread lock, here.

I do hope though we've answered your question:twilightsmile:

Im sorry if I was acting entitled. I wanted more information I wasn't trying to demand it. If I hurt anyone's feelings or annoyed anyone I am really sorry.

You didn't. No worries mate. But if you are concerned in the future, maybe you should pass by chengar before posting.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19