Friendship is Magic: the Gathering 250 members · 46 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

Icons of the Realms is a product line by WizKids, creating pre-painted miniatures aimed at D&D players.

Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica is a D&D sourcebook for playing games set in Ravnica, released November 20 this year.

Icons of the Realms: Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica is an Icons of the Realms product using Ravnica cards and characters. The booster boxes (MSRP $15) say there are 44 minis in the set, but the minis themselves are each numbered out of 55; the starter packs (a different purchase from the booster boxes, MSRP $25/ea) comes with an additional 10 minis (five in each of the two packs, one for each guild), and if you purchase a whole case (32 boxes) you are permitted to purchase a Niv-Mizzet mini separately for $50 (and Niv-Mizzet is not among the other 54 minis). Each booster box contains one large/huge creature mini and three medium/small creature minis.

I bought a myself a brick (8 boxes), and thought I would share some photos of my pulls.

The full set of pulls
From left to right, back to front, these are:

If you're interested in the product, note that it's possible for duplicates to be in a box; both my Kraul Winged Warriors were in the same box, along with one of my two Indentured Spirits and one of my two Nightveil Specters. It was my duplicate box. :)

I think the Large krasis might be a Crocanura?

Let me get this straight. They're selling D&D minis, for use as simple figurines to use on your dungeon maps. But they're forcing you to go through a gachapon system to collect these figures.

If I want to, for example, run an encounter that calls for twelve Niv Mizzet figurines (perhaps he casts Mirror Image), I'd have to spend $600 and buy 12 boxes of random figurines?

I think I'll pass on this ludicrous business model. Please tell me I'm missing some key point here. Like these aren't simply D&D figurines, but are for some standalone collectable figurine game like the various Clix games from the mid 2000's.

Nah, the large Krasis has armor on its shoulders, spines along its back, a bullfrog neck, and a pointed snout. Crocanura doesn't have any of that.

The two starter packs aren't randomized, though they're aimed more at being PCs rather than encounters. (Of course, this being D&D, you could use them for whatever you wanted.)

For Niv-Mizzet, it's not $50 on top of a box. It's $50 on top of a case. 1 box = 4 minis, 8 boxes = 1 brick (what I bought), 4 bricks = 1 case. The case incentives (and WizKids has been putting out these Icons of the Realms for the past 4 years, with similar case incentives in each) are meant to be collector items, I think.

And no, this isn't a standalone thing like the Clix games. These are pre-painted minis aimed at being used for D&D. The quality of the models is actually pretty good, and the paint jobs are a lot better than Games Workshop's pre-painted minis. (Admittedly, Warhammer seems to have a much more invested mini-painting community than D&D.) The translucent figures (Blistercoil Weird and Arclight Pheonix, plus parts of the weapons on Precognitive Mage and Firefist) actually look really cool, too, and one of my friends wants me to customize the Arclight Phoenix to add an LED inside it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4