Second Person Stories 1,827 members · 1,561 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

As we all know a big part of any fic is characterization. How we can identify with the cast and share their emotions. What we learn about them and what we can learn from them. This is increasingly difficult for a protagonist done in second person perspective.

As of late, I've been hearing a few things about what makes a good character in 2nd POV stories. I've heard some complaints about a protagonist having backstory while at the same time hearing praise for fleshing out a character. Happy and sad motivations, consistency and pacing, and more conflicting bits and pieces of what I've heard a successful 'you' character should be.

So now I want to ask my fellow lovers of the genre: What makes a good second person perspective protagonist?

What makes them interesting, but at the same time engaging? What can be done seriously without going too far? What sort of dreams or fears can we believably give them?

Please, writers or readers, share your opinion.

Well I like writing in a way that leaves out a lot of the smaller details here and there to let the reader fill in the gaps for themselves so they can add more of there own personality to the character and be more willing to except what you make them do in the story.

Also, the writer must make sure when 'you' meet said pony they are destine with that it has to be realistic while also adding little quarks that make their meeting funny, sad, happy etc. Something that just sets the pace for the rest of the story because we all know a good beginning will help set the pace for a great ending.

That would be my jumbled up thoughts on the matter.

862768 I really liked how you explained your thoughts, it made a lot of sense. And I agree, bad luck makes for great story development. Lol

My problem is that my stories seem to come off as more first person stories with just "you" slapped on them instead. It's a problem when you go too far, it's why I decided to stop giving the characters names-including nicknames- and somehow even then I do stuff that makes it hard to relate to them the same way.

personally i enjoy it when the "you" makes a bad decision or two just like anyone else would as opposed to a holier than thou character making all the altruistic actions with no repercussions whatsoever , and considering it's second person the only backstory that seems needed is how the events unfolded of coming to equestria or something like that. while a "you" with a full on description and/or backstory seems to be an un-named character. The protagonist could try to be that great moral upstanding person just to fail where it counts as selfish rather than good. i guess my main point is they need to be flawed in my opinion, because you rarely find a wallet and not think of the money in it for you

The guy in GorisTheDeathclaw's stories is pretty much the master of bad luck...

Well, I went into my fic with the mindset of, make him a blank slate, so the reader can put themselves into the character. Once that connection is more or less solidified, I then wanted to ease them into the backstory and deeper personality traits. I'm not really certain if it worked the way I intended, but, hey, that's my two bits.

TFZ

Well lets see, second person while I can say I have never written anything of real significance, I have read quite a few second person stories all of them driving in different views and, goals what I like to do is give the reader small tidbits of the character like breadcrumbs.

Drawing them in so to speak. I like to takes things slow proper pacing can make any story acceptable and, when you have a blank slate its easier to see yourself in said situation its entertaining to me because you're seeing another view on life whether you want your life to be defined, or you just want your like to be laid back, or perhaps you want your life to be rewarding.

This is mostly based off the characters said profession like a thief 'you're' always sneaking always scheming 'your' life is rewarding for yourself, but for others 'you' are a grievance.

'you' are selfish 'you' are non caring or perhaps 'you' are caring, you see I mostly look at the character based off a profession now to say 'you' are good at it Is a totally different story.

Like what if 'you' are always caught<!> then said thought processes occurs, and you are able to flesh out feeling based on the situation.

This is why I like reading 'what will you do' it shows different views. Will you're character steal again or will 'you' redeem yourself? or will 'you' run away and try to start over? will 'you' be a martyr? but what if 'you' are not caught? will 'you' do one last job and disappear or will "you" perhaps fall in love and abandon your thrill to steal? or will 'you' not care and continue to steal.

Many paths are unlocked when 'you' chose even the most simple action or choice much like real life only you control the consequences.

Like if you stole from the royal treasury Celestia will more then likely have 'you' under lock and key and demand why 'you' chose to steal from her.

Perhaps it will hurt her if she loved you or perhaps you are unlucky and get scheduled to be executed. things like these is why I like to read thank 'you' for taking the time to read my comment. :twilightsheepish:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9