Alternate History Bronies 733 members · 630 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

What if history in our world diverged into a alternate timeline with the help of ponies or humans, but the main timeline ponies/humans don't know about it, until a rift in time sends them back through time to the alternate timeline.

According to Wikipedia: Uchronia is the idea of a timeline that diverged itself, due to altering variables. The term was conned up by the French, Italians, Germans, and Spanish all called this genre of Alternate history stories Uchronia, due to the two phrases "Utopia" (A place that does not exsist) and "Chronos" which is latin for time. Therefore the term Uchronia means "A time that doesn't exsist" in a way a "non-time".

Link to Uchronia.net
Link to Alternate History page on Wikipedia

What do you think?

2506288 Right, sorry. When I write, I write as I think. I thought that ponies from the main timeline and a human (Lauren Faust maybe?) from his/her main timeline end up in that said point of Uchronia.

Actually Utopia mean a perfect society. Or a paradise.

Link 1 [Dictionary Definition]

Link 2 [ Tropes Definition]

Thus a Uchronia would be a timeline where everthing was perfect and there was no problems.

2506467 Well, if you use the greek term which means literally "No place", then it makes sense.

Actually it was a pun on the word Eutopos [Eutopia] or Good Place. It was like a lot of things on Greek culture a Philosophical Question / word problem. Can a perfect world ever be realized?

So no it doesn't really make sense. If you are going to use the definition of Utopia then you'd Have Perfect society. If you are going on a historical definition. You're left with a timeline built on the moral quandary of if such a timeline can exist? Which by you making it puts it in the definition of the first one. Unless it is truly not a Utopia then you show that it is in fact not a Utopia.

Since the reason Utopia means no place is that a Utopia in it's very definition is unobtainable in this part of our timeline outside of fiction where the Eutopia can be fulfilled.

2506810 Look, I don't want to argue with you. I just think that the idea was interesting enough to spawn up an idea from my subconscious.

Look, this is the Etymology of the word Utopia from Wikipedia:

The word utopia was coined in Greek by Sir Thomas More for his 1516 book Utopia, describing a fictional island society in the Atlantic Ocean. The word comes from the Greek: οὐ ("not") and τόπος ("place") and means "no place". The English homophone eutopia, derived from the Greek εὖ ("good" or "well") and τόπος ("place"), means "good place". This, because of the identical pronunciation of "utopia" and "eutopia", gives rise to a double meaning.

Wait a minute?
Ah, I see what you mean.:twilightoops:
Sorry about that. I did however leave a link to the website Uchronia.net and a link to what Alternate history is on wikipedia.

Truce?

Truce.

And how would Uchronia be different than any other HiE?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8