Alternate History Bronies 732 members · 629 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

Henry Turtledove is a masterful alternate history writer. While Eric Flint began the Ring of Fire series, wherein a group of early 2000's mid-westerners are transplanted to the Thirty Years War around 1632, and influence events.

Twenty plus years ago.

It's Harry Turtledove, and I've read several of his novels.

In 1632, the modern day Americans are from a fictional town in West Virginia.

Eric Flint's kinky as frick.

I do not say this as a condemnation. (It would be the pot calling the kettle black, there!) But man does it leak into his stories sometimes.

7361896 Flint? I can definitely see that about Stirling, but where does it show in Flint?

I have read both; But not recently.
Personal favourites by Harry Turtledove include "The Guns of the South" and the The Videssos cycle (sometimes also referred to as the Lost Legion series)
I been meaning to follow up on Eric Flint's 1632; but never got around to it. The Thirty Years War holds a tiny bit of interest for me, but I despise religious warfare.

It is pretty evident in his collaborations with David Weber, about the slavers and the free world Torch, which has an explicitly D/s relationship between two characters, among other things.

Although actually the super-kinky Baen author I was thinking of was John Ringo. :D Oops! His There Will Be Dragons has an...interesting scene in it, and I gather that's just the beginning.

Harry Turtledove is one of my favorite authors. I really like his longer series and the stuff he wrote about alternative WWII got me interested in the Eastern Front. Worldwar is probably my favorite, but Derlavai and Southern Victory are really good too. The most interesting part for me is that he connects all his viewpoint characters. It really helps me feel like it could be a real world where something just happened to take a different path.

He has some interesting sci-fi stuff out there too.

7361954 Yeah, Ringo. He's got other flaws too - I read There Will Be Dragons, but never cared to pick up the sequel.

7361914 The 1632-verse is great at the beginning, but it tends to get spread out and lose track of the plot further on. I'd definitely recommend at least the first several books, though - 1632, 1633, 1634: The Ram Rebellion, and the first two Grantville Gazette's.

Thanks for the info. Now I just have to find the time, as well as the books.

The same can be said of David Weber's Honorverse novels. I lost track of amount of books he has of her; Plus spin-offs. The last big event I (sort of) remember was Manticore and Haven joining forces in order to fight the upcoming war with the Solarian League.

I used to like Turtledove, but definitely fell out as I grew more interested in real history, and more annoyed with his obsession with giving every character an explicit sex scene.

:pinkiegasp:Yes, I've read Eric Flint's work. I've read 1632, Ring of Fire 1, Grantville Gazette 1, 1633, Ring of Fire 2, 1634: The Baltic War, 1634: The Galileo Affair, Grantville Gazette 2, 1634: The Bavarian Crisis, 1636: The Kremlin Games and 1636: Commander Cantrell in the West Indies.

I also read S.M. Stirling's Island in the Sea of Time, but I can't help but feel he missed a trick that Flint had taken the ball with and ran.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12