Sad 2,625 members · 4,384 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

So apparently detractors of Sad Alicorn!Twilight stories have started labeling them "Emocorn" stories.

As a writer of such a story I'm naturally a little bothered by this and am worried that people might immediately write of good Sad Twilicorn stories as just being "emocorn" stories.

" I think one of the biggest things that separates Sad stories from Tragedies (and one of the reasons I prefer Sad to Tragedy) is that Sad stories usually don't end sadly. That, no matter how much the characters go through, there are moments of happiness and a chance for a happy ending at the end. I feel like a lot of people who buy into the "emocorn" train of thought seem to reduce Sad stories down to simple Tragedy without taking into account the differences between the two genres.

Having said that, I'd like to pose a question to this group as aficionados of sad stories; do you think stories with the Sad designation are unfairly discriminated against on the grounds of being "emo?

Stereotypes are stereotypes

882911 By the power of dubs...

882911 Well I haven't really noticed any stereotyping, but yeah agree with you that sad stories shouldn't be labeled as "EMO" as I myself have read a few good quality Sad, and Tragedy stories.

People still call stuff emo? I thought that word went out of fashion years ago.

I've never actually written a sad story. I thought I did once, but it's since turned into a pretty clear cut tragedy. Now if only i could finish it...

I think you shouldn't try to cater to those whole would have avoided your story anyways, although I will say the 'depressed alicorn twilight' bit is a little overdone. Like, it was overdone before alicorn Twilight was confirmed. I remember one fic, where she lives for a thousand years then BLOWS HERSELF UP because she's sad about her dead family and friends.

You know, ignoring the family and friends she left behind when she BLEW HERSELF UP. I get it, you're trying to be sad and all, but suicide is almost always a spur of the moment decision. You see the part where Twilight calmly goes about her life for a week after making the decision? That's where she should have changed her mind.

Blaag.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6