The Proofreader Group 4,264 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

EQD got back to me and liked what I wrote, although its biggest issue was the inconsistent narrator. It's meant to be 3rd person omniscient but there are times when it reads 3rd person limited. I haven't written 3rd person omniscient a lot before, so it made sense to me that I'd get the two confused.

I asked the prereader for notes on how to write the two and think I can tackle it alone, but it will take some work. If there is anybody that has a good understanding of the two, PM me!

Majora
Group Admin

In third person limited, the narrator describes events from the perspective of a single character at a time. This viewpoint allows the reader to experience the story through that character's eyes, knowing only what they know, feeling what they feel, and learning about other characters and events as the focal character does. It's like being in the room with one person and seeing everything from their vantage point. You get a deep dive into their thoughts, emotions, and perceptions, but you're limited to their understanding and perspective.

On the other hand, third person omniscient is like having a bird's-eye view of the entire narrative landscape. The narrator knows everything about all characters, events, and settings, regardless of whether the characters are aware of these details or not. This perspective can dive into any character's thoughts, jump between different scenes, and provide insights and information that no single character might know.

To avoid inconsistent narration:

1. Stick to one perspective: If you choose third person limited, focus on one character's perspective per scene or chapter. Don't suddenly jump into another character's thoughts within the same section OR into the narrator's.

2. Maintain narrative distance: In third person omniscient, maintain a consistent narrative distance. You can delve into different characters' minds, but do it with a uniform approach, maintaining an overarching view throughout the story.

3. Be mindful of knowledge: In third person limited, remember that your narrator doesn't know what other characters are thinking or things happening elsewhere. In contrast, in third person omniscient, you have the liberty to share any character's thoughts and unseen events, but ensure it serves the story and isn't just information overload.

4. Consistency in tone and style: Each perspective has a distinct tone. The limited perspective is more intimate and subjective, while the omniscient perspective is more objective and broad. Stick to the tone that matches your chosen perspective.

I didn't type too much did I? I can't help you personally but maybe this'll help out. I tried to summarize the diffrence between the two without too much information you may already know. Good luck friend

-Sanity is overrated

Ps- Typed on a phone in a the passenger seat at work, forgive inconsisties or broken information via lack of proofreading.

That’s cool.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3