The Conversion Bureau 770 members · 388 stories
Comments ( 32 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 32
Chatoyance
Group Admin

This is a thread to discuss the status of current stories, so that one need not use their blog for minor and petty issues.

Chatoyance
Group Admin

And, to inaugurate this thread, I will talk about my own chapter 11 of HUMAN In Equestria.

It may be a day or two coming. I'm having a Rumtopf of a migraine, which is slowing my work down. Sorry for that. I still need to finish the chapter, and I still need to do the picture. There is an inversion layer here in Olympia, and I often get migraines when the air is bad. I don't get along well with smog.

So please be patient. I know this chapter has been delayed. I am trying to get it done in a reasonable time. Sorry!

Comment posted by Simon Cowell deleted Aug 4th, 2013

Ah, I suffer from them myself. It's the worst. You don't even want to look at a monitor because it makes your head throb. Take all the time you need.

Nexidava
Group Admin

Glad to see you back! :twilightsmile:

Don't worry, take all the time you need. I know I've said this before, but please do remember that your output is still significantly above average. We don't hold you to the same standard that you hold yourself to. Just take your time, give other issues the time they need, and don't worry - we'll still be here when you get back.

Above all, I want to know that you are happy and healthy. After that, I'm happy to read whatever you are able to put out, however much or little it is.

I can sympathise with you on the migraines. I get them myself, and have lost entire weeks lying in bed without using my eyes to prevent myself from getting another one. I'll never hold you responsible for something outside of your control, so again, don't worry.

Thanks for the update.
I look forward to reading more of your work! :pinkiehappy:

Happy you're back and that things went smoothly. That's always great when that kind of thing works out, like when you need to call up a help line and the person on the other end is able to cheerfully clear everything up for you, and you both hang up filled with good vibes.

Unhappy to hear about the migraine. I've never had one but they sound like torture, and look like it too, if they feel anything like the visual depictions of those auras.

I'm amazed you're able to write as quickly as you do, in any case. Where do you fit in your pacing around and waffling?

How could she tell? [rimshot]
MARES AND THEIR PETS AMIRITE FOLKS please remember to tip your bartender

Noble Cause
Group Admin

Take as long as you need to recover from the migraine. They're not fun in general...

Chatoyance
Group Admin

Finally - I have the text of the next chapter finished. Now, I am working on the picture.

Comment posted by Guiding_Passion deleted Aug 4th, 2013
Chatoyance
Group Admin

Chapter 15 seems to be difficult for me to write. I suspect the cause is that it is too personal. Also, real life worries are getting to me. I know I have been delaying a lot. I apologize.

I will get the darn thing started soon. I'm just all emotionally weird right now.

I think anyone who hasn't been there probably hasn't lived life on their own sweat and tears yet.

This past week I've been in the throws of manic sadness / joy, because this weekend my leave for Bronycon was denied. (I was supposed to be a panelist and a musician...) But on the plus side... after 8 months of living without wheels, I finally got a very affordable and fun-to-drive car...

Still doesn't quite fill the void in my heart left from being unable to attend bronycon... again... due to military obligations. :fluttercry:

(Pushing 120mph next to a cop is a pretty good indicator that I'm not in the most stable of moods atm.) :pinkiecrazy:

A quick update I have decided to cancel my previously planned story and instead focus on my current Optimalverse one whilst making plans for a new one.

And on that note I was wondering if I could talk to you about something Chatoyance?

Chatoyance
Group Admin

Of course, Nine Tails. I am always reasonably easily reachable. Sometimes I am slow to check my mail, but that's about it.

Thanks Chatoyance I appreciate it.

Anyway would you prefer if I talk to you about it via PM's or are you fine with me discussing what I wanted to talk to you about here.

The thing I wanted to talk to you about concerns the short story Friendship Virus that you did last year.

Chatoyance
Group Admin

The thing I wanted to talk to you about concerns the short story Friendship Virus that you did last year.

You know what the TCB group needs? An enema. No, a section for discussing stories! I'll add that right now, and we can talk about it there! How's that?

That last part sounds good, but I'm not sure how we'll give the entire group an enema.

Chatoyance
Group Admin

I'll have to come up with something to excite folks about the TCB again. Dafaddah made a great effort with his contest, but there was a tiny response. I don't know yet. Anyway, the new area is up.

I take it interests been slumping?

Chatoyance
Group Admin

Well, consider - who is left writing true (not anti TCB, but real TCB) stories anymore?

As far as I can tell, that would be... me. Just me. I'd call that a serious slump. There have been exactly zero submissions in the submissions folder for the Bureau Group.

Basically, except for me keeping the torch alive, the TCB is gone as far as I can tell.

Some of the very best TCB authors won't touch it anymore - like Midnight Shadow. He'll never do another TCB story, basically because the anti TCB folks caused so much hurt that it just stopped being fun. I came back to the genre, but he... probably never will.

A lot of original authors just up and left altogether because of the antis. They just aren't coming back at all, I suspect.

And the remaining few... I haven't seen them write anything TCB for months.

Even Dafaddah hasn't updated his one remaining sort-of-TCB story for ages.

Yeah, it's summer and all, but... the fact is, it rather looks like the Antis succeeded in scaring most folks away from the Bureau, and destroying the momentum it had. That's sad.

But... there's me. I love a brilliant notion, and as far as I am concerned, there are only two truly original, truly powerful ideas that have come out of pony fanfiction.

One is the Conversion Bureau universe, the other is the Optimalverse. That's it. Everything else on the site is just... fanfiction. Just stories about ponies. Only the Bureau and the Optimalverse have power that transcends the source that inspired it. Both story universes are vastly greater than just ponies, and could easily be applied to original universes with nothing whatsoever to do with MLP:FIM.

The Conversion Bureau and the Optimalverse are greater than pony. They are true science fiction, and true literature. Not just fanfiction about a silly cartoon. That is what makes them so important and powerful.

It is also what makes it so sad that the Bureau stories have essentially ended, except for me.

Not just a slump - I am very possibly beating a dead horse. And that would be a tragedy.

Well then I guess its an excellent time for me to start writing my own Conversion Bureau stories since I will have little to no competition.

I know I'm neither the best or the fastest of writers, but I would hate to see this go the way of the Dodo.

Still perhaps I can help resurrect this sub-fandom I'm certainly not short on ideas.

I know in the past I've not been the most reliable person on my stance torewords the Conversion Bureau, but after about a year of debate I've finally decided that I am indeed for it. I do apologize for my fickleness in the past, but the reason for that is that it resonated with me, but I was afraid to embrace the idea since it flew in the face of beliefs and ideas I had previously held.

I personally would prefer to think of the ponies in the conversion bureaus as heroic beings come to save humanity from itself rather than as the mad conquerors that the Anti-CB group have branded them as.

I just wanted you to know this because your stories moved me in this direction and in a sense have both changed, inspired me to reevaluate my perceptions on a number of subjects, and I wanted to thank you. You could almost say in a way I have been converted.

In any case I think it will be fun to bring the conversion bureau back from the grave. So what do say, shall we be partners in crime in this scheme?

Chatoyance
Group Admin

The more the merrier. If the Bureau is to regain lost ground, we need as many people involved as we can get.

Chatoyance
Group Admin

I am creeping up with the next chapter of HUMAN in Equestria. I might be able to publish, finally, either late, late tonight, or early tomorrow, if all goes well.

It's been difficult - the air has been really bad, and I have been in migraine city. But I felt a little better yesterday, and was able to crank out 1200 words. Today, I brought it to over 5000, so that is a good chapter length. For part one of this section.

I need to do editing, and draw a picture. I should be able to do that after dinner.

From what I hear, the Bronycon TCB panel went well, and only one person, dressed in camo, caused any trouble. That's good to know. I so wish I could go to a convention like that. Maybe someday. I don't travel well.

If I went, I would go dressed up like Dr. Pastern, with a glowing Erlenmeyer in a case. I'd prepare a talk on the science of ponification as a bit of schtick. With proper slides, it could be amazing, I think. My background is biochemistry, so it's a natural fit. Sigh.

Ah good I'm glad. Well then I'll have to get started and do my part in order to help see this happen.

and to be honest Chatoyance it is fortuitous or perhaps ironic that you happened to respond to this post now.

This afternoon I had a sort of a eureka moment while I was driving around around trying to gather my thoughts. I came up with the idea for a story that I feel has the potential to be a magnificent conversion bureau story.

I intend for this story to be my own personal conversion story since it is based upon my real life struggles and tribulations. All the while I am attempting with it to create my own unique interpretation of of the conversion bureau universe.

Anyway I was planning on pm'ing you a teaser of what I get done tonight before I go to bed to see what you think. I'm sorry for doing it that way but this is the actual narrative and I don't want any spoilers for the general public, but I would so love to hear what you think of it. Anyway I hope thats okay, if not I understand.

I finished the Prologue for my story just now. That means it will face the fury of editing tomorrow, and be posted same day.

That said, there are a few things I want to say about it here so people will know in advance.

First, it's not following any conversion bureau canon that I am aware of. This is my attempt at my own version. I hope that doesn't bother anyone too much...

Second, I actually cannot stand science fiction. As a genre that is. I've liked individual science fictiony things, like Ender's Game, but when I 'do' enjoy something that is science fiction it's usually in spite of it, not because of it. The closest I can really get to being passionate about science fiction is Blazblue, and calling Blazblue science fiction is like calling Gurren Lagann science fiction. The distinction is nebulous at best.

Because of that, I'll be focusing on fantasy/magical elements a lot more than science type things. I sadly admit that when reading your stuff I actually skim the scientific detail portions, because it really just doesn't interest me for whatever reason. I'm far more interested in the characterizations and the fantasy elements.

I guess you could say I'm far more fixated on the spirit of things than the letter, but I hope my story will have something for the science fiction fans the same way I enjoyed your stories regardless.

Chapter One/Prologue is up. Time to reap my delicious bounty of down votes, courtesy of people who never bothered to read the story. ;3

Well, not to say I'm gone, I've got about five Bureau stories written... just no artwork for them

Chatoyance
Group Admin

Five in the morning, I've finally finished the writing of chapter sixteen of HUMAN in Equestria. I think. I think it's good enough. Next stage, editing, and drawing a picture. I know these chapters have been so slow. It's been complicated times for me.

But... it is coming. Soon.

I wouldn't worry about it. Even when traumatized you put out content faster than every other writer on my favorites list.

Sorry for taking so long with my first non-prologue chapter. I sorta got carried away and wrote up a 24 chapter outline for an Optimalverse story called: Heart's Desire. Complete with subplots and character/color scheme lists. It'll be based on the concept albums Epica and Black Halo, by Kamelot.

I swear I used to adlib this stuff as a matter of course, somehow I started turning into Twilight Sparkle. It's like sorting Magic the Gathering cards by Colour, Rarity, Artist, and Alphabetically all over again.

Chatoyance
Group Admin

If you are wondering about the delay on HUMAN in Equestria... I am sick. Very sick with the flu. Got it on the 17th. I will return to writing when I finally feel better.

*hugs tight* Get well soon!

Also, it's not TCB related, but I do have a fic in the works. My first real foray into dark too... the feels, they won't leave me alone! :pinkiesad2:

That sucks - Feel better!
Here's hoping you've got a good sick day regimen to at least not be totally miserable in the mean time.

Ick. That's no fun. Is the rest of the herd pampering you appropriately? Or are they sick too?

Noble Cause
Group Admin

Feel better soon, Chat! Take as long as you need!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 32