Reviewers' Mansion 284 members · 653 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
Nailah
Group Admin
EOff To The Races
Rainbow Dash takes Applejack on their first date.
applejackofalltrades · 14k words  ·  43  4 · 662 views

Summary: A couple of days after Applejack finally broke her apple-bucking record, Rainbow Dash takes her on a date. Fun times and bonding are in store for the two when they end up at a race in Appleoosa. They have a whole day to spend, why not have some fun out on the town?

Initial thoughts: Off to the Races is the story I will be reviewing today a sequel to "Sweet, sweet record of mine" You don't need to read the prequel to undestand this story, but it would give more insight to how Rainbow and Applejack got to this point. The story is rather simple and straightforward. Applejack and Rainbow are going on their 1st official date. The story focuses on Aj's POV and how untraditional it is, not only for her to not date an earth pony, ,but to also date a mare. The whole feeling throughout the majority of the story is her coming to terms with it being okay for her to be with Rainbow, no matter what others think. My only issue with this idea, is that Aj has always been the stubborn/blunt one of the mane six, and it doesn't really fit for her to be so hesitant about this. Other than that, this is a simple delightful romance story that can easily please the audience it's focused on.

7/10

Heart of the story: The majority of this story focuses on Aj and her POV on how she feels about her date with Rainbow, how it affects her life on the farm, and how others might see her differently for her dating a mare rather than a stallion. It is a simple idea, with a simple resolution. I'm surprised AJ didn't realize it right away. The fact the date was in Appleloosa was a good setup for a way for her to talk to her cousin and get some good clarity on what to do regarding her relationship, her life, and just her overall happiness. Granted, it's not a complicated plot at all. It's very simple and to the point but that doesnt' make it bad. Sometimes it's nice just to read something you don't need to think too hard about. It was a nice little story,

7/10

Writing/Grammar:
I didn't see any mistakes throughout the piece. Good job. It reads great on mobile too.

Characterization:
Applejack: Stubborn, honest, hard working, dedicated, family driven. Aj's character here is a little different from how I pictured her. I can understand her hesitation to a degree, but I did feel it was a bit overplayed, and had wished Aj would have been able to see it for herself, rather than be told by her cousin to just tell her family. A true family that loves ya, won't judge ya for who you date.

Rainbow Dash: She's the support for AJ to lean on throughout the story, and it makes sense. Rainbow dash is loyal, confident, cocky, and aggressive about what she likes, espicially when it comes to her marefriend. Even though she didn't have as much time in the spotlight, I could feel Rainbow Dash, this is the amazing mare we all know and love.

7/10

Originality/Execution: Not the most original idea ever. The execution felt just right for this kind of story, as it never felt draggy, but it was also never boring.

7/10

Overall thoughts and Feedback: It was a nice simple story about life, love and relationships. I liked it and would recommend it for anyone that enjoys this ship.

Final score: 7+7+7+7+7=35/50
8.5/10

Headpat worthy: Yes

Boop worthy:

Needs work:

<For archive purposes: 8.5/10>"

Cool! Thanks for the review :> not too bad for an “older” fic :D

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2