Fillydelphia Oracle: Literature Reviews 174 members · 138 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
mushroompone
Group Admin

Hello, everyone! I'm back in a new edition of the Fillydelphia Oracle, a revitalization of the Pens and Couches review group. Curious as to why you're getting this review? Read more about it here!

EPedestal of Stone
The Cutie Mark Crusaders were supposed to be forever.
Zontan · 5.5k words  ·  106  6 · 1.4k views

When tragedy strikes, the CMCs find themselves pulled in separate directions and questioning the future of their friendship. This review will contain spoilers - skip to the end for my spoiler-free final thoughts!

Opening Thoughts

I want to first address the fact that Zontan have what I would call a close working relationship - we obviously review fics together here, but we also read and write together frequently. I’ve read some of his works, he’s read some of mine, and we generally support each other as friends and as artists. I mention that because I can certainly be found in many places acting as his cheerleader, but I assure you that this review is as objective as possible (I am only human, after all). All of that said, I did not work on this story with Zon. This was all him.

As far as expectations, this is a short fic about the CMC tagged sad. I expect to get my heart broken. Since it appears to be set in the future (this judging from the first line), I expect to have my heart broken in that unique way that only post-canon fics appear to manage.

With a clear mind and conscience, let’s get into the review.

Plot/Concept

The description makes it seem as if this story has a singular, firm catalyst - a disagreement the girls can’t get past, a friendship-ending secret, perhaps even the death of one of their members. I was steeled for anything, as many a sadfic has taught me to do. But this isn’t that. This is something else entirely.

The plot of this story isn’t exactly simple, even if it is exceptionally easy to follow and understand (thanks in no small part to the author’s thoughtful structuring). It isn’t a single explosive fight that brings about the end of the crusaders, but rather a realization that they have more to do in this life as individuals. 

The catalyst, if we boil it down to a single thing, is Sugar Belle’s sudden illness. This pulls Apple Bloom away from her teaching position on extended medical leave, and places Sweetie and Scootaloo in the difficult position of supporting their friend through a time of stress and strife. The focus isn’t truly here, though - rather, it is on the way this crisis throws each of the crusaders’ priorities into light. I’ll talk more about what these are and why they work so well in the characterization chapter, but I want to be sure to say how brilliantly subtle the entire set-up is.

There’s a thousand sadfics out there about friendships ending. It’s a cheat code to tears in this show. You can probably find a hundred fics right now with the same basic premise (the CMCs break up) without much trouble. But this fic isn’t those for one simple fact: it is gentle. Sure, you could call up any of those hundred fics and have a good cry, but you’re going to end up feeling manipulated - the vast majority of safics for sadness’ sake don’t hold back. They whack you over the head with their concept and bring on the tears.

This is not that. This is gentle hand delivering an emotionally nuanced and deliciously complex (though not complicated) premise. It is realistic enough to not be manipulated, but dramatized enough to make a thoroughly satisfying read.

5 / 5

Pacing/Length

Okay, I’ll admit: I cheat at pacing.

It’s not a big deal. Lots of people cheat at pacing. The three act structure is a tried and true method to keeping your storytelling flowing at just the right pace, and making sure no one element of your story receives accidental undue emphasis. The story is divided into three parts. The first act (about 25% of total word count) introduces all the major characters, establishes their “starting points”, and sets up the main conflict. The second act (about 50%) is the meat of the story - increasing stakes, obstacles, character development, etc. The third act (final 25%) essentially mirrors the first, in that we get to see the “end points” of each character, resolve the conflict, and tie up any narrative loose ends. Got it? Good.

This story follows the three act structure… well, not quite to a T if we’re actually counting words, but it’s more about the spirit of the thing. A first act establishes everything we need (timeframe, lead characters, sources of conflict, etc), a second act builds tension at a steady pace, and a third act delivers all the payoff you could want. Everything is given to us as readers at exactly the right points, allowing plenty of time for tension to build before it resolves, introducing important information before the exact second it is needed, setting up character flaws and allowing time and space to make mistakes before they are healed - basically everything that says this story was planned in advance. I don’t get the sense that this was written in a feverish and barely-contained burst of emotion at an odd hour of the night (as so many sadfics seem to be).

As far as length goes, this is the perfect package. It contains its story sensibly without harping on about lessons or cutting out the quieter moments of atmosphere. As with a well-written story, there isn’t much else to say - it’s just done right.

5 / 5

Characterization

Let’s talk more about subtlety.

There is absolutely a difference between subtle character and a lack of character. Too many authors insert their idealized self into characters they're uncomfortable writing, believing that they are complicated, and therefore will impart this onto their characters. But this never really works out this way - you end up with the proverbial Mary Sue everyone’s always in a twist over.

Subtlety in character does not come from an endless whittling down of recognizable flaws and poor behavior into a beige paste of all-encompassing sameness. It also doesn’t come from characters who only occasionally show their true colors, or reveal themselves to be someone new at an opportune time. It does, however, come from planting seeds early on, allowing them to grow through the rising conflict, and finally giving them the chance to blossom in the final act.

Pedestal of Stone is a story about changing priorities and friends growing apart, but this isn’t a vague or nebulous fear in the least. In fact, the friends’ new directions are planted early: Scootaloo is chided for her continuing competitiveness, Apple Bloom leaves her job at the drop of a hat to help her brother’s wife (a relation at enough of a distance that it doesn’t really require an extended medical absence), and Sweetie remarks how great her life is with her friends by her side. We get callbacks to these new priorities in the second act as they develop alongside the conflict: Apple Bloom talks about how good it feels to be among family (even under the circumstances), Scootaloo gets in with the Wonderbolts (at the expense of her time helping Apple Bloom), and Sweetie revs up the narrative tension by inserting herself into these personal issues - anything to keep the crusaders together. We then, of course, get payoff in the third act… though I’ll leave it unspoiled for those who haven’t read the fic itself.

Whether purposeful or not, the narrative rule of threes is very prominent here. We are introduced to a concept, reminded of it at a key point, and given some payoff for having noticed in the late stages of the story. This is what makes the character development come across as so natural and so subtle - if you weren’t taking notes like I was, you might not have seen the connections, yet their very presence deepens the narrative. It’s the little things that contribute to that greater whole. The characters are focused, even if they may not come across as singularly obsessed with their “thing”.

I would be remiss if I didn’t talk about character from a more general perspective: it’s perfect. Grounded in the show, pushed that extra mile for focal characters, compressed appropriately for supporting characters. This is another mark of a great author: knowing which characters get the spotlight and which are only there for support. Rarity’s single-scene appearance is necessary to the story, but it doesn’t require her to be any more than a mentor. She isn’t given any more than is needed, and so she doesn’t end up outshining Sweetie Belle.

5 / 5

Writing Quality

I think reaching this section and finding that I don’t have much to say was a bit of a shock to me. I feel like, if any one element of a story is truly great, I should have lots to say about it. But, honestly, I think what makes the style of this piece so great is how it vanishes so completely into the plot. It isn’t distracting. It never betrays the emotions of the piece with poor phrasing. It is never too much or too little. Never over or under dramatized. It is simply there, doing what good writing does: telling a story.

What really shines in this story is the dialogue. I’m going to resist sharing snippets for two important reasons: I want to avoid spoilers, and I would have a very difficult time choosing. I will say, however, that this is the poster child for a dialogue-driven story - conversations are effective, driving the plot with every line, and all in perfect voice. Never once was I lost as to who was speaking - a common problem with dialogue-heavy fics from less experienced authors - as all character voices are thoughtfully differentiated, and the author knows how to balance a scene.

To call the style “utilitarian” doesn’t feel right, as I feel like that word has a connotation of doing heavy-lifting while looking as ugly as possible, and that’s not at all what this is. The writing is wonderful and expertly done, so much so that it disappears into the dialogue, conflict, and characters.

5 / 5

Je Ne Sais Quoi

My notes are simply riddled with the word “subtle”, supported eagerly by “gentle” and “natural” and “subdued”. Everything about this story is handled with the utmost care. Each element listed above is done right and with ease - none of it feels forced, over-thought, or over-planned.

I think something I haven’t adequately covered is how well this story lives in the world of FiM. This is done in a million and one ways - if I tried to name them all, I’d go blue in the face. But from clever asides about the musical nature of the show to gentle reminders about canon characters growing up, from tiny tweaks on familiar characters to show how much they’ve grown to a thoughtful expansion on the meaning of the CMCs’ destinies, this story is all about growth. It feels so naturally grown from the show, expanded to include new details which are grounded so firmly in the familiar. The simplest way to put it would probably be “comfort food” - this isn’t a bawl-your-eyes-out sadfic meant to snip your heartstrings, it’s the sort of thing that will warm you from the inside out, perhaps even shed a tear of joy as you reflect on the world you know and love.

I can’t recommend it enough. It’s absolutely one of my favorite stories out there. Please do yourself a favor and set aside some time to enjoy it!

Final Thoughts

A warm, loving exploration of the future of the CMCs delivered with expert style, pacing, and adherence to theme. My first perfect score with the Oracle - I give it my full and hearty recommendation.

5 / 5

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1