Pride and Positivity 247 members · 107 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
SigmasonicX
Group Admin

Pride and Positivity 2021 has wrapped up! People will still be able to add stories to the group for another several hours, but then I'll lock it down and you'll have to contact me to add it. I'll make donations for all of them.

Counting up entries both here and on Offprint, we had a total of 58 stories, beating last year's 53, and I know there are more late entries coming. It should be noted that last year, I went out of my way to contact authors to alert them to the event and accept stories that were definitely not made for it, and I accepted any number of entries from authors. I didn't do that this year, so most of these entries were from people who knew Pride and Positivity was happening already.

In total, $1120 has been donated for the event. This is less than last year's $2160, but I didn't have any users matching my donations this year.

I will admit some disappointment that this year's event didn't blow last year's out of the water, but the life circumstances of many people who participated last year but not this year have changed, not to mention the general exodus this site has seen. Though on that note, I am reminded of what I last in last year's wrap up post:

Hopefully when we do this next year, we'll be in a better place than we are now.

I'll be honest, I don't know how this event has really affected FimFiction. Entries to this event have gotten many downvotes still, and the reaction to the event has shown more organized hatred than last year, but in a way, this could be seen as a sign that the event is working. That said, this year's event hasn't been the fun celebration I wanted.

I should mention that when I started this event, I was intending it to be the last on FimFiction. Now, I'm not entirely sure. Is it better to abandon FimFiction at this point, or keep fighting for it? I've seen arguments for both, and for now, I'll just say I'm considering both options. Maybe FimFiction will be in a good enough place next year that this will be a celebration and not a fight for the site's soul.

In any case, I hope that this event once again allowed the LGBT+ users and allies on this site to feel free to assert their place, and see that there are plenty of people to support them.

You do you, obviously, but I’m coming at this from a perspective from someone who was active in 2013 and then sort of dropped off until this year.

I remember the old LGBT group back when Krass was running it and how many stories were being submitted to it—how few. I remember when there were 12 trans stories on the site and all the authors knew each other. So going from that to seeing story after story after story being posted was inspiring to see.

And I fully credit this event for that.

Yeah, there was a lot of downvotes and organized hate. There was also a lot of readership and stories getting featured. Again, time after time, stories for this event where up in the featured box with more likes than dislikes despite the opposition.

Maybe it’s because I missed out on the heyday of the site, but this looks pretty great from where I’m standing, and your event is partly responsible. If you do decide it’s the last one, which is fully understandable, I can only hope someone else picks up the mantle.

Either way, thank you.

I'm happy I was able to participate with my two fics! I wanted to do four, but life is what it is. As for the decision on whether to continue this next year or not, well, I see both points. But I will second thedarkprep on my own thoughts, which was that this was a very positive experience despite the downvote brigading. And from the authors I've talked to about this, most of us had a bit of a laugh at the whole thing. I dunno, I get that your perspective is going to be different, but you say this wasn't as fun as last year but I had a blast.

Also I've said this to you before but I'm floored by your giving nature. That is a crazy amount of money for one person to raise for charity in a month and change. It's moving to see you so dedicated with this, and I'm very glad to say we're acquainted. I know a few big names in the fandom, but tbh, I'm the most honored and humbled to say I know you over anyone else, because I truly believe no one else in this fandom embodies the spirit of the show like you do with this event. So thank you for your work with it, and for letting all the rest of us play our little part in this event :twilightsmile:

Sure my story was incredible stressful to live through, but the amount of people backing me up on said story was enough to keep me going (and now the story leads by 10 likes, which feels like a victory). I had fun writing, and I think that all of the charity giving is really cool (and the fact that you spent over a thousand bucks, too).

The amount of support this event has risen is amazing, thank you for that.

I saw fight. You specifically don't have to do it if you're ready to stop, but hopefully someone will work to ensure it becomes a celebration. Go Pride!

Personally, I'd hate to see Fimfic wither and die. Maybe Gen5 will bring more people, or maybe it won't, but I think it'd be worth it to keep the site going even if it doesn't see as much traffic as it used to. I'd like for Pride and Positivity to keep happening both here and on Offprint, too. It may not have been an overwhelming success as we'd hoped, but every beginning is difficult, especially when fighting a battle against a deeply-rooted stigma and hatred, but I'm sure the event can gradually develop into somethong to be really proud of, if given enough time and effort :twilightsmile:
That being said, many thanks to everyone who participated (and to Sigmasonic for organizing the event, of course)! And don't any of you be discouraged by the dislikes; your heart was in the right place and that's what matters the most!

I've enjoyed reading the stories that this event inspires two years in a row now, and I'd definitely love to see it happen again in the future!

SigmasonicX
Group Admin

Thanks for the messages, everyone. Knowing this event has had a positive impact really does help.

Submissions to the group has closed. You'll have to message me to get any more stories in.

I’ve enjoyed taking part in this event, and it was nice that we were all able to do some measure of good, even if it was comparatively smaller than last year, let alone the fact you’ve donated so much on your own. There were a lot of good entries here, and I can honestly say this event’s given me some memories that will stick with me for a while yet.

The way I see it, despite all the negativity, we should be proud that we were all brave enough to put our thoughts on paper and post them for the world to see, for we are the ones who spread understanding through what we write, regardless what anyone says.

Regardless on whether or not this will be the last event, here’s to hoping next year will be better.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9