Cinematic Adventures 245 members · 24 stories
Comments ( 208 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 208
Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Has anybody suggested the Fly to you yet? Not the modern Fly movie, I meant as in the classic with Vincent Price.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

The Creature From The Black Lagoon?

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Oh! I know! This just an idea:

Say that the TV broadcasts a horror channel with Svengoolie, or Elvira, as the host, and then the heroes are magically pulled into the movies that were shown on their channels, or so.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Oh and I can tell you something else, maybe some of the movie adaptions of Stephen King's best works should also be taken into consideration.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

It's not a bad thought. Especially when the classic monster movies were big during their hey day. Although, I've never seen the 'old' Fly movie but rather the 80s version that focuses heavily on body horror. To think that particular movie inspired an opera some years later.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Sunset Shimmer: (Struggling)"Help me...PLEASE!"

Twilight Sparkle: "Come back with us, Sunset. We'll help you."

Sunset Shimmer: "NO! Too...dangerous!"

What about Dark City? Granted, it's not quite a horror movie but it gets so dark at times it might as well be considered as one.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Better than 'Sin City' that's for sure. The girls and Spike go there... Their minds will be scarred for life.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

I first knew about this movie when I was reading the big book of monsters in cinematic titled: Monsters in the Movies by John Landis.

Admittedly, it was the "jungle girls" that got my attention, but it was the "Nazis" that made it even more interesting, upon first glance.

She Demons 1958

An independently made, black-and-white sci-fi movie.

So from what I could find on the internet, the movie revolves around these three passengers (two men, and a woman), who were shipwrecked on this uncharted island, after their boat was caught in a tropical storm. At first, they thought the island was deserted, but as it turns out, it was the secret base of the Nazis, with their leader being a mad scientist and war criminal, by the name Col. Karl Osler.

So here's how the movie got its title "She-Demons." Apparently, some times before the movie, Osler was conducting an experiment on harnessing the powers of the island's volcano to generate a powerful source of energy that's twice as powerful than 1.21 Gigawatts. At least that's how it sounded like to me from the movie, though I'm not expert on geologies and volcanic activities. So anyway, it was during one of these experiments that the doctor's wife and assistant, Mona, had an accident that horribly scarred her face which one of the commenters states makes Freddy Krueger look handsome.

Since then, Osler has been kidnapping beautiful women all over the world to take them back to his island, where he extracts something called "Character X" (which strangely sounds almost like Chemical X from Cartoon Network's original PPGs) from these women in order to heal his wife's burns and restore her beauty. However, by doing so, the women would be turned into the titular "She Demons," that one of our heroes had coined.

Here's a quick rundown to what the She Demons are:

In She-Demons form

In appearance, the She Demons have grotesque and deformed faces with jagged fangs that looked kinda like tusks, and their fingernails grow into long sharp claws. They'll attack any normal looking humans they see on sight, probably to take their anger out on having their beauties stolen from them. Reminds you of a certain former friend of Mistmane?

Diane Nellis Dancers as the She-Demons (in human form)

*I have no idea who these dancers are.

But the good news is their transformations only lasts for a few days, in which by then they will revert back to normal. Unfortunately, the experiment also robbed them of these poor unfortunate souls' memories of their past life, prior to being Nazi prisoners. Which means they cannot think for themselves, they can't coordinate any escape plans, or have the will to escape from the horrid life of being used as human lab rats to an evil mad scientist.

But on the bright side, when they're not angry, fiendish looking demons, they do like to dance.

And that's the story. We've got our heroes, the villains (the Nazis, of course. I mean, since when have there ever been a movie where the Nazis are the good guys?), the villains' horrible creations, and the conflict being that the island will soon explode, be it a volcanic eruption and being the target for the navy's bomb testing.

So anyway, long story short, I got to see this movie on YouTube, courtesy of a channel hosted by one "Ned the Dead's Chiller Theater," and well...I don't know what to say about this movie...it's not good, but it's also not bad. Just...how do I put it more gently...underdeveloped?

So we got the heroes, we got the bad guys, and we got the motives, but what they're kinda lacking is the tension, the drama, the suspense. When I first watched this movie, I was half-expected the She-Demons to display some sort of incredible feats of strength and agility like those of a real predator. I'm no expert on cinematic in the old days, but I'm almost certain that the producers could at least push themselves beyond that, if they had wanted their films to be on par to the classic monster movies like King Kong 1933, the Japanese classic Godzilla 1954, or how about the movie A Trip to the Moon 1902! Because here's the thing, had we seen the She Demons in action, being able to leap at tremendous height, or display acute senses of smell and uncanny tracking abilities, THEN they'd pose as an actual threat.

On the other hand, the Nazis on the island aren't any better. Only Osler, being the mastermind of this sick twisted operation, is the big bad, but his actor's performance as the character falls short in comparison to the Nazis in the cinematic favorites of Indiana Jones.

That's all the opinions, the strong points, and the flaws, I can list of at the top of my head, but I think the flaws going beyond that.

I need an expert opinion on this, especially since there's not many facts to go on about this movie, aside that it was terrible. Why TV Trope wouldn't even bother listing the tropes that gives the movie it's flaws, which I believe would've very helpful for not just us, but for the next generations of filmmakers to come.

Until then...Loona!

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Also, for the record, I'd like to say that if the ponies and Spike are going to be forced against their will to journey into this movie, then Mistmane would be a logical candidate for guest-star, because maybe she could talk some sense into the She-Demons and hopefully Mona, that there's more to life than just beauty and looks. True beauty shines from within, because let's be honest...we're all in the future compared to this movie. And if we come to this point in the past from the future, we'd be showing how smart we've gotten, when we've come to accept that no on is considered a monster, not by their appearances, but by how they act and treat other people.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

This looks like a movie that could definitely use the remake treatment, even if modern movie goers would have no idea that this was a real thing. But if it were to happen, it would definitely have to take these notes into account. It's one thing to have the protagonists and antagonists, as well as the motivation of the plot, but a horror movie is not 'horror' not without a drop of tension, a pinch of drama and just a hint of suspense. That's all the best horror movies we know succeed and not through some cheap jumpscares that are only made just to get high views on 'trailers'. We want to feel for our victims not just anxiously wait for them to die, we want to see certain viewpoints collide, but we also would like to try to understand who are the 'real' monsters.

Granted, the movie would have to be a little more modern from the whole 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' ordeal but I'm sure it would still work.

Though speaking of the whole 'beauty' thing... Loona is definitely quite a sight even if she's not a typical bonnie.

Jaws & The Shining are my favs and also The Lost Boys.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

The thing with Jaws is that it's not a typical horror movie with either a guy in a mask or severely scarred half-demon terrorizing the dumb college kids (Except for the smart yet timid final girl). No, that movie was based on an actual event that took place where there 'was' this shark that attacked people and there was a man hunt to stop it. Now granted this movie took a few additional liberties, especially how the original author told the story, but in the end it became one of the highest known shark attack movies of all time (If not THE best 'shark attack' movie of all time). So great, that I recall this dude who did a crossover with this movie and 'Sonic the Hedgehog' relying on this animation technique you usually see in those SFM 'Team Neighborhood' videos especially with the use of a few Valve characters.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

*After playing and binge watching the Thai horror game, Home Sweet Home, and after figuring the Boxcuttet Ghost out*

Me: ((0_0)) *shuddering and twitching from the trauma* “I’m never looking at Dragon Dropped the same way again...”

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I'm guessing it's one of the scariest horror games you've ever played in your life, isn't it?

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

I'm ok now. I'm ok. *Clears throat*

To answer your question, yes it is.

And let me tell you, whoever the producers are, they certainly know their Thailand myths and culture, because they certainly weren't pulling any punches to make the game, the story, and especially the ghosts, ghouls, and goblins we have to deal with, straight out of the Thailand folklores.

Well, except maybe the ghost girl from the first level, I think she's more of a spoof of Japan's Ju-On: the grudge, but still. *Shudders*

And not to spoil like Tom Holland or anything, if you haven't played the game, but had you known the full story behind that crazy ghost, you could say that episode Dragon Dropped, starring Spike, Gabby, and Rarity, is more a kid friendly version of the ghost.

Update 1: Now that I've brushed up on some Thailand mythologies on the spirits, I think the ghost girl is a type of Phi Tai Hong – vengeful spirits of people who were violently murdered.

Though, to be fair, she kinda had it coming. She brought it onto herself She killed herself. As they say about karma, "What comes around, goes around."

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I'll log onto that 'Stream' site and see what all the fuss is about. I did know a sequel to that came out a few years later, but I'd have to play the first game to understand the full lore.

You haven't played the sequel by any chance, did you?

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin
Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Boy, you are one brave lad to go through all that.

Oh yeah, that's right, well either way it's a great movie and I love it, even my father love it too.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

We'll see if there's a way to squeeze that movie into the series, but there's no guarantee. There are certain propagandas we need to go over before coming to a final decision.

Oh I was just saying that that's a favorite movie of mine, I'm not really saying that it should be in the series, if it is then that would be awesome but if it isn't then it's still okay.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

When we do reach a final decision on the status of the feature film, then we shall be sure to let you know.

No biggie man that's fine with me, you can take your time to think about it.:twilightsmile:

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Right now, there's a ton of work that Double E and I need to have accomplished before we start deciding on adding movies into the series (Much less, a horror movie in general). I'm still a bit on the fence about it, but I'll roll with whatever is decided.

All right no worries.:raritywink:

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

You mentioned briefly about 'The Shining' at some point. Did you ever see that 'Doctor Sleep' movie that came out recently? It's supposed to be a sequel to that one.

Comment posted by Slayer99 deleted Feb 27th, 2020
Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Nevermind, I just realized how dumb it is. Forget I even brought this up.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Van Helsing
One of the only time where the monster acknowledges the doctor as his father

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Boy, I haven't seen this movie in years. I think I've actually only ever seen this film at least one time in my life. I think my least favorite part of the whole movie was when that one actress died near the end.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

I did some quick research, since in some ways, these She-Demons kinda remind me of how the Dementor’s kiss steals a person’s soul and how it’s considered a fate worse than death.

It’s dubbed similarly as persistent vegetative state (PVS).

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I would hate to think of such a thing. It sounds like being put in an eternal coma. You're technically alive, but you're unable to do anything. I saw that happen one time on this episode of 'New Amsterdam' and the patient's state was so bad he may as well be dead.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

It sounds like being put in an eternal coma. You're technically alive, but you're unable to do anything.

Sounds like the kind of experience Mr. Freeze's wife, Nora Fries, experiences in the Batman series. You look dead, but you're actually alive. You appear to be sleeping, yet you're also awake. The world is moving around you, but you stayed the same.

I guess it's true with what some people say. There are fates worse than death.

Comment posted by Phantom-Dragon deleted Sep 21st, 2020
Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Also, here’s another warning.

Watch out for Piranha 3D. Especially with Christopher Lloy a.k.a Doctor Emmett Brown from Back to the Future in it.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Oh yes! Now I remember...

How could I forget that scene with “Miss Petunia” from Stephen King’s The Shining.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

As of now, Mr. Enigma and I have been working really hard with 'The Conjuring' and thus far it's turning out smashingly as we planned. We still have much left planned for the story and we barely had a ton of material covered but we are confident that what we have to offer is surely going to grasp a ton of attention for sure.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Good to hear

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Hippies? Ha! You’re gonna have to try harder than that—

OKAY. NOW I AM!

Why don't you try this movie on for size?

I'm guessing Color Out of Space would probably be overstepping it? Y'know, with it being a Lovecraft story and all.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

One of the few horror movies to win the Oscar for Best Picture.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

“Is it a Jungian thing? Like he needed to pretend to be someone else to let his darkest feelings out? He pretended to be a specter...until he became the Specter!”

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Um... I'm not sure where that quote came from, but that sure is a rather interesting one at best.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

My boss once had me collect video assets on a research video of The Wicker Man. *Shiver* Can you imagine being locked up inside a wooden statue, burned alive, with animals screaming in pain, with you? All the while being surrounded by an island of cultists?

Not a pleasing way to go out...

Unfortunately, Christopher Lee (a.k.a. Count Dracula from Hammer Film Productions, Count Dooku from Star Wars, and Saruman from Lord of the Rings) considered this movie to be his best work ever. And for good reason...

And this movie introduced me to the horror sub-genre of Folk Horror – which employs horrors to invoke fears – like The Blair Witch Project, La Llorona, Nang Nak, Sleepy Hollow, etc.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

As a person of Southeast Asian descent, this is probably one of those Folk Horrors that could really scare the living daylights out of my parents and cousins.

For me, the thing about suggesting a 'horror' film is that I REALLY need to make sure that it has the HORROR element in it. I'm a BIG fan of monster movies but we can all agree that most of the times they could slide out of the horror genre into something more along the lines of a thriller or gorefest.

Well, here's me tossing my two cents into the ring.

Well I'll toss in my quarters in into the ring as well.

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 208