Fan Club of A Man Undercover 52 members · 89 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23
A Man Undercover
Group Admin

For quite some time, an idea for a story centering on Discord, which would take place after "The Ending of the End" and before "The Last Problem" has been lodging itself in my head. I know what kind of story I want to make, but there are some things that I haven't exactly figured out yet.

In the story, Discord becomes distraught with guilt over the Grogar-scenario. Along with hearing a number of criticisms from various Equestrians outside of his friends, he begins to question why he was ever given the chance to be reformed in the first place and becomes doubtful that he’d ever do more good than bad because of the mistakes he made before. So, he decides to leave Equestria and isolate himself from his friends forever, believing that they would be better off without him. However, trouble arises while he’s away, and it’s something that only he can fix, which would prompt the Main Six, Celestia, and Luna to go search for him. Perhaps even just Celestia and Luna. Or them, Twilight, and Fluttershy.

I was hoping to make Discord a story about self-worth and purpose, as well as one where’s he faced with an ultimate test as a reformed villain. I haven’t exactly figured out what the test would be, though. Or what the arising danger is.

That’s why I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask you guys.

What do you all think Discord’s ultimate test and the arising danger should be?

Perhaps Discord's ultimate test and arising danger should be a villain that is the antithesis of Discord. A being of pure order that believes the universe needs correction and that, if Equestria is left unchecked, there would be another Windigo attack.

Not entirely sure what the threat should be, though. Could be an extraterrestial hive of technologically-advanced equines led by this hive mind that desires to strip everypony of their magic and their free will in the name of balance.

Sounds like an intriguing premise but by bringing in a threat that only Discord can defeat, doesn't it just invalidate his past actions by stating that he is, in fact, needed?

The concept sounds really good. Maybe the threat could be the real Grogar? It was such a waste to not use him anywhere in the show besides Discord's disguise.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

You make a good point, but what else would prompt the heroes to go find Discord?

I'm not sure but him going away would be good for everyone, at least for a time

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

As the summary states, I was planning on creating a story for Discord involving self-worth. Including forgiveness of oneself and striving to do good things more than bad things.

If Discord wasn’t needed for anything to begin with, wouldn’t that make his worth questionable?

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Except that the story involves him not telling anypony that he’s leaving. Not even Fluttershy.

That sounds like a great premise for a story. I'm trying to write a story that takes place in the exact same time as yours. I think the arising threat would have to be a new OC if you want to be completely original, though I do find the real Grogar idea to be amazing as well if you want to try it. Good luck.

His worth is already questionable due to his actions and apparent lack of growth. If he leaves and is forced to come back because everyone needs his help, it just makes it seem as though he was wrong in leaving and everyone needs him after all. Forgiveness and redemption are fine but sometimes, forgiveness isn't enough. Righting a wrong after making a huge deliberate mistake doesn't erase the mistake. Perhaps, instead of Discord leaving without telling anyone (which kind of seems sad and pitiful) and later showing up to save the day (in a moment of, "sorry-for-making-you-feel-bad-and-leaving-why-don't-you-stick-around-since-it's-clear-that-we-need-you), why not have the princesses banish him? Just some kind of punishment so that he can grasp the severity of what he'd done.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Perhaps, instead of Discord leaving without telling anyone (which kind of seems sad and pitiful) and later showing up to save the day (in a moment of, "sorry-for-making-you-feel-bad-and-leaving-why-don't-you-stick-around-since-it's-clear-that-we-need-you), why not have the princesses banish him? Just some kind of punishment so that he can grasp the severity of what he'd done.

Because it’s too harsh. Not to mention out of character for them to do. It would also make the story too much like those mean-spirited “Discord Gets Punished” stories, which I deeply despise. Considering how commonly done that type of thing has been...it would be predictable too.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Honestly, in my story, the reason he left and self-exiled himself was because he did grasp the severity of what he did.

I'd say the danger/Discord's test should be an Earth Pony stallion who desires to become an Alicorn and intentionally tries to lure the windigoes back to Equestria in hopes of becoming the hero and gaining a horn and wings. Ultimately, Discord defeats him and the Earth Pony stallion goes insane from denial, jealousy, and self-loathing before swearing revenge on the draconequus.

Fair to both. I'm just saying, by Discord banishing himself, it shows him taking responsibility and it works. It seems a little like those TV show plots where a character feels underappreciated, leaves and a crisis occurs where people miss them, leading to said character coming back and everyone realizes how important they are. Discord doesn't need people missing him or an ego boost; he did something truly awful and needs to be punished. I get you don't want to be mean-spirited but he can't either get off scot-free or gets a temporary punishment that makes him, the other characters and the audience feel bad for him.

Hmm, I like this idea. I would read it. I agree with the other people that have commented: the villain could be the real Grogar.
But this idea is really Interesting:
I like this idea and it’s very original, which is good.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Well, what would you suggest on the matter?

Of course he shouldn’t get off scot-free for what he did, but what do you think could help redeem him?

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Ironically, I've actually been planning on having the real Grogar be the main antagonist of a Student Six sequel spin-off I've been planning on making.
I like the idea MLPFollower had about a pony desiring to be a powerful being intent on creating his vision of order and being a hero to others, though. It really brings about what an antithesis of Discord would look like.

It actually even made me think that perhaps Prince Blueblood could be that pony, mainly considering he'd likely be jealous of the Main Six having all the glory and Twilight being set to become the newest ruler of Equestria.

Actually, that's a good question. Of course, I'm not the one writing it so it's really not up to me. Hmm...

You don't want a Discord-bashing story but it also has to have consequences...

Perhaps an in-universe explanation for the discrepancy in Discord's character? Maybe he was messed up from something?

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

What do you mean by "Discrepancy"?

Well, in "Twilight's Kingdom," Discord betrayed the group, realized the depths of his choice and gave a heartfelt apology devoid of any humor. After this, we get the sense that he truly learned about friendship. Later episodes depict Discord as striving to be better, to do right by those around him. In season 9 however, this character development goes right out the window for the sake of a plot twist. Aside from the logistical aspects of the Grogar Scheme, what makes this terrible is the fact that Discord knowingly went behind his quote-unquote "friends'" backs. Go back to Discord's apology in "Twilight's Kingdom" then re-watch the scene in "The Ending of the End" where he spills the beans about his little plan. In "The Ending of the End," Discord tries multiple times to not only downplay his actions with comedy but also to defend them, claiming that he was trying to do the right thing. Even when Fluttershy, his supposed best friend is in tears and begging to know why he'd do this, Discord looks like he doesn't care.

Or what if you did something like in the comics? (Cosmos/Accord)

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

I thought of it, but I haven’t been entirely sure.

Although, I had considered making my story partly a complete remake of the Cosmos arc by using the title character as the main villain. However, I haven’t been sure how to go about that.

That...is actually a really great sounding story idea. No idea what the "ultimate test" would be, but I do like 7356211's idea.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23