E.R.A 378 members · 339 stories
Comments ( 136 )
  • Viewing 101 - 150 of 136
A Man Undercover
Group Admin

At the moment, I really can’t remember, which is why I say that your messages are ones I frequently struggle keeping up with.

Well they’re all posted upthread. So go through my previous posts and point out the big words that are confusing you.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

You, on the other hand, can't seem to make the mental connection necessary to understand that your hatred of Radiant Hope doesn't change the fact that she ends Siege of the Crystal Empire as a basically good pony who is, in fact, trying to take steps to fix both her mistakes and help her friend Sombra fix his own.

And that is where you are wrong. Every moment of the fourth issue gave ample opportunity for Hope to remedy the mistakes she made, yet she never did anything! All she did was basically give Sombra a talking-to, which only seemed to fuel her role as a Mary Sue because it caused the story to fall in an expected and less-than-genuine turnout. And rather than expressing genuine regret for her actions, even when she said that she was a fool, all she did was give a stone face and once again revert to saying that everything she did was for Sombra. The latter basically caused it to feel like she was shifting the blame to Sombra in code.

That’s pretty much another reason for why I think the story was terribly-written and executed.

...that's, first of all, a word I learned in maybe 6th grade (and for the record I was in ordinary English classes, not advanced placement or anything); second of all, only four letters long and so hardly is a "big" word; and thirdly, not an uncommon or rarely-heard word at all.

Every moment of the fourth issue gave ample opportunity for to remedy the mistakes she made

Well she's just an ordinary unicorn in terms of capability (which is, incidentally, a major strike against the idea that she's a Mary Sue) so I hope you don't expect her to single-hoofedly throw down Sombra and defeat the umbrum herself. By the same token she can't exactly single-hoofedly break Cadance and Twilight free from being umbrum prisoners.

So what else can she realistically do? Maybe, say, talk to Sombra about destiny, how he seems to be convinced that he has to be a monster and yet she stands as living proof that you can change your destiny, by the fact that she was "destined" to become a princess and is instead an ordinary pony? Then give Sombra the crystal heart to show him that all it reflects is what he expects to see in it, and convince him to choose his own destiny and turn on the umbrum?

I bet you're one of those people who wishes Luke had cut off the Emperor's head. Or that Indiana Jones had managed to get the Cup of Christ.

All she did was basically give Sombra a talking-to

Because that was

1. The limit of what she could realistically do, and
  2. Exactly what was needed to get through to Sombra, as well as the only thing that could have done so.
A Man Undercover
Group Admin

So what else can she realistically do?

I would expect that she’d have done more than just stand around like an idiot while an entire battle was in front of her. Especially as a way of showing that she regretted her actions and wished to make up for them, which she didn’t do at all.

Maybe, say, talk to Sombra about destiny, how he seems to be convinced that he has to be a monster and yet she stands as living proof that you can change your destiny, by the fact that she was "destined" to become a princess and is instead an ordinary pony? Then give Sombra the crystal heart to show him that all it reflects is what he expects to see in it, and convince him to choose his own destiny and turn on the umbrum?

I certainly didn’t think that part was realistic or well-played, I’ll tell you that. Everything about it felt like she was openly expecting Sombra to listen to her simply because she cared about him and shared a great bond with him, but in reality…that doesn’t always work.

Suppose Sombra decided to “make his own destiny” and “choose what pony he wants to be” while still remaining evil? What then?

Suppose Sombra decided to “make his own destiny” and “choose what pony he wants to be” while still remaining evil? What then?

Then they're screwed, but there's nothing else she can do anyway so what difference does it make? She's just one unicorn, she could take a stand against the bad guys but it's not gonna do much, she's not a capable fighter or experienced hero. She either successfully talks Sombra out of being evil or she doesn't. If he turns on the Umbrum but is still evil, at least maybe him and the Umbrum fighting against each other might lead to one of them being taken out or something.

Radiant Hope trying to convince Sombra and failing is basically the same outcome as her not trying to talk him down. So might as well try and hope that the good Sombra she knew is still in there and willing to listen. I'm not sure what you want from her.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

I'm not sure what you want from her.

To prove that she’s a pony worth being loved, for one thing. To showcase the strength inside of her, and prove that she has a greater sense of brain in her skull.

I mean, you can’t possibly deny that she was being nothing more than an unlikable bimbo, can you?

Then they're screwed, but there's nothing else she can do anyway so what difference does it make?

She could’ve simply freed the princesses while everyone was distracted, for one. After all, since she’s so well-versed in magic, she must’ve had the power to undo their chains.

To prove that she’s a pony worth being loved, for one thing. To showcase the strength inside of her, and prove that she has a greater sense of brain in her skull.

By doing what, sir?

She could’ve simply freed the princesses while everyone was distracted

How? Does she have a key to a lock that I’m not aware of? And how do you know that anyone is that distracted?

After all, since she’s so well-versed in magic

You can’t know for certain that being good at one magical thing makes you good at another magical thing. In fact we’ve seen pretty clearly that magic in MLP generally takes the form of discrete spells: a spell that lets you make a mustache doesn’t necessarily allow you to grow out someone’s mane or tail, for example.

And even if she had somehow freed Cadance and Twilight, what then? They’re still in the middle of an army of umbrum and Sombra. They captured Twilight and Cadance before, why not again? Twilight and Cadance only weren’t stone because Sombra chose not to turn them to stone previously. What would stop him from doing so if they suddenly escaped?

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

How? Does she have a key to a lock that I’m not aware of?

You can’t know for certain that being good at one magical thing makes you good at another magical thing.

If Hope has the magical capabilities of helping Sombra become solid again, as well as prevent the Crystal Heart from taking him away, then I see no reason as to why she wouldn't be able to break the princesses' chains and free them.

What would stop him from doing so if they suddenly escaped?

Hope getting in the way and standing in front of them, just like she did when Twilight shot a beam at Sombra.

And even if she had somehow freed Cadance and Twilight, what then?

She'd have teleported them out, of course. I have no doubt that teleportation wouldn't be a mystery for her to do.

By doing what, sir?

By defying the Umbrum in general now that she knew their true nature. Because for one, why would she want to be their empress to begin with?

I mean, you can’t possibly deny that she was being nothing more than an unlikable bimbo, can you?

I absolutely can deny that, yes. Hope trying to talk Sombra down even then is the strategy that both makes the most sense of her character and is basically the best one she has at the time. It's the smartest thing for her to do, and if it doesn't work then she can try to think of something else.

If Hope has the magical capabilities of helping Sombra become solid again, as well as prevent the Crystal Heart from taking him away, then I see no reason as to why she wouldn't be able to break the princesses' chains and free them.

Radiant Hope is a talented healer with very powerful healing magic. There is no reason to assume this would automatically translate to her being powerful in other ways. Even in the show itself, back in Season one it was mentioned that most unicorns only have some magic skills related to their special talents. Ponies like Twilight are unique because her talent is magic itself.

By defying the Umbrum in general now that she knew their true nature. Because for one, why would she want to be their empress to begin with?

She doesn't. She's very clearly upset about it. But if she openly defies the Umbrum then chances are she's going to be put into chains too, or turned to stone, or who knows what else. Then she can't keep trying to convince Sombra to turn on them, or do anything else of use at all.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Radiant Hope is a talented healer with very powerful healing magic. There is no reason to assume this would automatically translate to her being powerful in other ways. Even in the show itself, back in Season one it was mentioned that most unicorns only have some magic skills related to their special talents. Ponies like Twilight are unique because her talent is magic itself.

Magic itself is Hope's talent as well. Not just healing. She proved herself to be a very accomplished unicorn capable of a great many magical feats, and the comics themselves showcased that.

It's the smartest thing for her to do,

More like the dumbest, if you ask me. Like I said, it felt as though she literally expected Sombra to become a good pony in the long run simply because of giving him a talking-to, and when you compare that to when Twilight convinced Starlight Glimmer to change...well, let's just say it was neither genuine or meaningful.
All that does is prove that she's still a hypocrite, because in spite of the chaos and disaster, she's only willing to help Sombra and no one else. Heck, she hardly did anything because she simply wanted to be kept in Sombra's good graces, especially considering he was basically her shield against the Umbrum.

Magic itself is Hope's talent as well. Not just healing. She proved herself to be a very accomplished unicorn capable of a great many magical feats, and the comics themselves showcased that.

No, she got her Cutie Mark for restoring and healing Sombra. Her Cutie Mark is a caduceus, which is sometimes used as a symbol for healing by medical organizations. It's pretty clear her talent isn't intended to be magic in general, but rather her healing abilities specifically. Now she does show the ability to teleport too, so it's not her only power but she never shows any destructive abilities at all.

More like the dumbest, if you ask me. Like I said, it felt as though she literally expected Sombra to become a good pony in the long run simply because of giving him a talking-to, and when you compare that to when Twilight convinced Starlight Glimmer to change...well, let's just say it was neither genuine or meaningful.

She was already starting to question if she was right that Sombra would change after the Umbrum took over. As her conversation with Sombra shows she's frustrated and even calls her hope that he could be good "Foolish Hope". She doesn't give up on him yet, as she still tries to talk sense into him but she clearly has doubt by this point. It's not that she's not considering that she could be wrong, she has, she just isn't giving up.

All that does is prove that she's still a hypocrite, because in spite of the chaos and disaster, she's only willing to help Sombra and no one else. Heck, she hardly did anything because she simply wanted to be kept in Sombra's good graces, especially considering he was basically her shield against the Umbrum.

So you expect her to make a pointless stand and get herself disposed of, basically. Even when she thinks there is still a chance she could get through to Sombra and have him stop this all, something she is probably far more capable of doing than fighting considering that she's Sombra's best friend and the only pony he's still showing care for, and she knows him better than anypony else. Meanwhile, she hasn't shown any combat magic at all and would likely just get her furry butt kicked if she attempted to fight.

Again, chances are that Hope taking up action against the Umbrum just get's her locked up or stoned and then she won't be helping anypony, Sombra or otherwise. She's also still not a hypocrite and it's already been explained why.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

She doesn't give up on him yet,

Exactly, which is why I believe she’s a one-dimensional Mary Sue, and that the end turnout was literally the most unrealistic I’ve ever seen. Hardly anything about Whitley’s Sombra comics has ever aligned with Sombra’s character and portrayal in the episodes before Season 9, which only makes the origin issue and Siege all-the-more infuriating.

So you expect her to make a pointless stand and get herself disposed of, basically.

No, I expect her to actually do something that’s smart and honorable, and standing with Sombra wasn’t one of them.

No, I expect her to actually do something that’s smart and honorable, and standing with Sombra wasn’t one of them.

Ah yes lets drive a katana through our stomach so we can be honorable.
Bro if you have the willpower to do that and expect anyone else to be like that... then good for you. But wake up to reality any time soon...

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

No need to.

At this point, I’m thinking that I may as well start doing comic reviews, with the Sombra comics by Jeremy Whitley being first on the list.

Cant even give a reply expecting everyone to die than commit something wrong lol.
Well greeks have a saying for cases like yours it goes like : "leave the crazy to his crazy"
I will apply this rule with ya from now on.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Like I said to another guy before, it’s better to have at least some sense of craziness inside you than none at all.

some sense of craziness

Key word SOME not totaly bruh.
Yeah massive C.O.P.E. vibes for some reason with that statement.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

In whatever case, I think making my reviews of MLP comics will honestly do me some good. I find that reviewing helps give a greater sense of clarity and less struggle in expression, especially compared to debating about something.

Sure why not? Your sunken ship is already on coral deep why not even further?

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

🙄I could due without the trolling, thank you.

Well i cant wait everytime seeing you get fact ratioed m8.
Hopefully on the next one too. See ya there!

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Hopefully, I’m not gonna give you the satisfaction. As usual, I’m much more precise and clear with my reviews, and I’ve hardly had a flaw in them pinpointed.

Is a carpenter necessarily a skilled lumberjack? Is a sailor necessarily a good swimmer? Is a banker necessarily a good stock broker?

I can see many reasons why Hope wouldn't be able to break the princess' chains. One, her power has not been shown to have the kind of brute force necessary to break metal. Two, magic in MLP is shown to exist as discrete spells, each of which do one specific thing. In order to use magic to open a lock without a key, or break a chain through something other than raw telekinetic power (which she isn't shown to possess), she'd need to know those specific spells. But there's no reason why she would.

Remember that Twilight Sparkle was considered a near-unmatched prodigy simply for knowing a mere twenty-five spells (Season 1 Episode 6, "Boast Busters"), which was suggested to be a lot more than most unicorns. That gives us a pretty good basis for what unicorns can and can't do, even prodigies like Twilight. It means that at most Radiant Hope might know a similar number of spells. Why would one of them be a lock picking spell? A break-chains spell?

Magic in MLP isn't just, you have a big ball of power and can make it do what you want through nothing but desire. You have to learn spells.

Hope getting in the way and standing in front of them

The umbrum can fly and there's a bunch of them. Your plan is, not to put to fine a point on it, stupid, which is probably why Radiant Hope didn't do it.

I have no doubt that teleportation wouldn't be a mystery for her to do.

I do. We only see three or four unicorns capable of teleporting in the main series: Twilight, Starlight, and Rarity, and maybe Star Swirl, can't remember. Rarity didn't manage it 'til Season 9 and she's been hanging out with Twilight for years by that point, so she can be presumed to have picked it up from her, it's not "normal" unicorn magic. Twilight and Starlight, meanwhile, are magical prodigies who have each been spending most of their lives studying magic. If Star Swirl managed it, well, he spent literally his entire life studying magic, so he's in the same boat as Twilight and Starlight. Meanwhile, even Chancellor Neighsay, who's implied to not exactly be a lightweight in magic, can't teleport under his own power, he needs an artifact to do it.

Radiant Hope expressly dropped out of learning magic. Whatever Radiant's raw potential for magic might be, it doesn't do her much good without having actually learned to teleport, which given that she never teleports, we can't presume that she knows how to do.

simply because of giving him a talking-to

But that wasn't the only time she ever talked to him and tried to convince him that he didn't need to be a monster, now is it? You keep bringing up the final conversation that Sombra and Radiant had but it wasn't the only one. Nearly every conversation we've seen the two have over the past thousand years has been about destiny verses choice and whether or not you have to follow your destiny or if you can choose to be something else. Radiant never even expressly said that she wanted Sombra to be a good pony, she just wanted him to be what he chose to be rather than what he felt he had to be. She just also believed that what Sombra was, deep down, was a good pony.

And she believed that because she was his friend when the two were foals. You're thinking of Sombra the tyrant king of the Crystal Empire, but Radiant Hope knew him when he was some dorky little colt who'd play games and go to school and have fun just like any other colt might, and she knew him as that basically decent colt for a lot longer than she knew him as the tyrant king. She'd already seen that he could be a good person and she'd personally seen that he started being evil because he believed he had no choice but to be evil. She just believed that if he realized that he'd always had a choice, he'd choose to be good.

And that doesn't make her a Mary Sue or anything like it. Simply being right doesn't make someone a Mary Sue. And the story doesn't "bend over" to make her right, having actually read Siege now plus the FIENDship is Magic comic for Sombra it's pretty well laid out that Radiant Hope being right about him was a viable and logical way for the story to go. That doesn't mean it's great writing, but the writing doesn't have to be good for a story to still follow through to a logical conclusion.

We only see three or four unicorns capable of teleporting in the main series: Twilight, Starlight, and Rarity

Rarity didn't manage it 'til Season 9

When did Rarity Teleport ?

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

And that doesn't make her a Mary Sue or anything like it.

Yes it does.

I seem to recall it happening once in the finale. Could be wrong, but honestly if I am that really only helps my case.

Then by that same logic any main character who is ever right about someone not actually being evil is a Mary Sue. Aang is a Mary Sue because he believed Zuko wasn't evil. Luke Skywalker is a Mary Sue because he believed Anakin Skywalker was good deep down. Peter Parker is a Mary Sue due toOtto Octavius in Spider-Man 2. Will Turner is because he was right about his father Bootstrap Bill in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, and to a lesser extent about Jack Sparrow throughout the whole trilogy. And so on, and so forth.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

In the end, all I’m trying to say is that I hate Radiant Hope, and I wasn’t pleased with the direction the themes and morals were getting taken in and how they were executed, which felt openly unnatural, toxic, and less-than-genuine. Especially compared to ones like the previous story elements you mentioned.

I suppose that’s another reason for why I want to make my own reviews of Whitley’s Sombra comics, so that even you could gain a greater understanding of where I’m coming from with what I think of Hope.

all I’m trying to say is that I hate Radiant Hope

And that's fine, you can hate her. But if you give bullshit reasons for hating her then you're gonna be called on that bullshit. And if those bullshit reasons should be equally applied to other characters but you clearly aren't because you happen to not hate those other characters, then you're gonna be called a hypocrite.

I suppose that’s another reason for why I should make reviews of Whitley’s Sombra comics

There is nothing you can say in your reviews that you haven't already said at one point or another over the past several years.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

There is nothing you can say in your reviews that you haven't already said.

Don’t be so sure. I find that my thoughts and feelings are better communicated through reviewing, especially compared to debating. Even as I look back on our previous interactions, I’m not even sure if the messages I typed before gave any sense of clarity or understanding.

I seem to recall it happening once in the finale. Could be wrong, but honestly if I am that really only helps my case.

I don't remember Rarity teleporting. But Sweetie Belle did manage a teleport in "Growing up is Hard to do", though immediately after her horn was sparking and she rubbed her head like she was in pain. Considering Sweetie was being taught magic by Twilight back in "Twilight Time" it'd make sense for her to be better than average.

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

Not true.

Characters I dislike only equals characters I dislike.

• Viewing 101 - 150 of 136