The Writing Process 280 members · 892 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

Greetings all!

I come here looking for help with names. I suck at them. Random name generators feel too generic and ponies on the show are rarely generic in name. Even names i come up with tend to feel blad; poor Red Tunic...

So, for a more random approach i come to you; my sci-fi fic needs at least 10 more names. The fic is going great but i need to start naming more names before others see it. Got any good ideas for scientists?

What names do you have already?

If I’m unsure about some character’s name, I try to think about what their personality and/or occupation is, and then go from there. (So, it’d be great if you told us more about your characters, both in terms of who they are and what kind of science are they doing. There’s a significant difference between cytogenetics and quantum mechanics, for example.) In general, once you know what you need your character to be, you can take some general word that’d characterise them and start looking for synonyms and related words. Throwing that word into Google Translate and pulling it through multiple languages might also provide you with some extra randomisation.

oh i suppose... straight from the "script" with details largely omitted;

the command staff;
Captain Blue Belle - (mare)

the Pilots;
Stellar Nebulous - (mare, pegasus)
Chromatic Rush - (mare, pegasus/demon)

the Medical Staff;
Flat Line - (stallion) the ship's doctor. vary grim minded.
Red Pulse - (mare) the ship's nurse and Stellar's friend and bunkmate.

The Maintance crew;
Orange Rind - (stallion, changeling) one of the ship's engineers.
Grimclaw - (stallion, griffon) a mechanic and general custodian.

The Security;
Red Tunic - (mare) literally the first pony to die. Shocking.

The Support staff;
Patty Cake - (mare, unicorn) a member of the cakes family. has a talent for cooking meat.
Velvet Lace - (mare, Pegasus) doing a better job as a secretary than her previous career.

The science staff;
Quiet Serenity - (mare, unicorn) a major in psychology.
2 (cosmology)
3 (planetology)
4 (physics and chemistry)

The ship; E.E.P Decadence
There is a reason for the odd name. Ship is strickly function first.

forgot to quote you... :facehoof:

And by using the back feature i never even saw yours. Thank you :pinkiehappy:

Monocle Scope! - (stallion, earth pony) Knives Out detective expy. Might not appear on that specific ship. I don't mind if i get too many.

For a chemist pony, how about Silver Flask?

needs at least 10 more names

The only reason why I stopped watching Game of Thrones is because it had too many names. It seems your story is going the same route.

For ponies that have been on the same ship for months it feels strange to say "oh, no! That earth pony is dead!" instead of "oh, no! Silver Flask died!"

I am not looking for a mane cast; that's done beyond a red herring villain or two that will emerge.

Bubbling Beaker
Atom Splitter
Star Gazer
Pencil Pusher

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10