The Writing Process 280 members · 895 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11
Dolphy Blue Drake
Group Admin

Okay, I've considered this idea a few times. I even plan to implement it later in some of my unfinished fics. But I'd like some feedback on it:

In Roman mythology, there are twin goddesses, one of chaos, one of order. The goddess of chaos is "Discordia", while the one for order is "Concordia" (Greek names are Eris and Harmonia). Seeing how Discord's name seems to be a masculine version of Discordia (yes, I know Discord is a word, just bear with me), I thought it would be interesting, if a long time ago, in the almost completely unknown pre-Discordian Era, Discord wasn't the only one of his kind, but instead, one half of a pair. "Twins of Balance", if you will. Whether they ruled or not isn't the point here. Their dichotomy would've had a world with chaos and order in a healthy equal balance, where besides themselves, everything had a natural 50/50 split at birth, so they could establish their own drift towards one or the other on their own.

I use the name "Concordia" for this idea, simply so I can give her abilities that are order-based reflections of Discord's including a "Concording" that pushes too far in the opposite direction.

But, she never used such things, as the brother and sister loved each other as family, even going so far as to craft a green crystal sapling with their combined magic and plant it, linking it into the lifeblood of the world: a "Tree of Balance".

But then, one day, something goes very, very wrong: For some reason, Discord murders Concordia, and the loss of her counterweight to him begins the Discordian era. The tree they planted pulls what's left of her presence into it, changing to the Tree of Harmony, becoming the focus of all energy to rebuild life with a more harmonious tilt, all for the purpose of eventually stopping him. Of course it succeeds, and the power of the Tree remains Concordia's presence.

But, at some point, something allows her to slowly return to life. The gradual harmonizing of Equestria gives her strength, and after enough time of peace has fueled her, she returns to the physical plane in full: Looking like a female version of her brother, but symmetrical, and with all parts seeming to flow into each other, avoiding his patchwork appearance.

But she has a score to settle. Now, she'll use her powers and skills of manipulation to do whatever it takes to get revenge on the brother that killed her. After all, they're the Twins of Balance. To balance things out, now he has to die!

Yeah, my idea of her is a once-benevolent being turned twisted by thirst for revenge, but she hides it well. Everything up until her return was part of her plan to fill the world with enough Harmony for her to drink deeply of it, and through it, restore her flesh. Thousands of years have made her a villain, ironically fueled by everything good that has been done in the entire series, her only coming onto the scene after what seemed to be happily-ever-after.

So, what think? Anyone is free to use this character, and even alter her to not be a villain, if you want, but just please don't claim ownership of her. I don't necessarily require credit, (although you're most welcome to give it), I just require none claim they made her is all.

So, once again, what do you guys think? And you can use her so long as you don't try to take credit for her.

This sounds awesome

Pretty brilliant. Balance must be maintained, which is why they cannot destroy Discord, but must only contain him, for his destruction would bring ruin upon the world. Day, Night. Sun, Moon. Good, Evil. Harmony, Chaos. There has to be a twin out there, because otherwise, Discord could not exist.

That sounds like a wonderful idea.

But, I wonder if Discord is not the same as chaos.
It might seem like that.
Just when everything's cool, this goddess throws a golden apple in the mix.
Now all of the major goddesses are squabbling.
Then suddenly some pretty chick gets swiped and mortals are killing each other.
Again.

Yeah, Discord could lead to chaos, but it might not be chaos.

What's Harmony?
That's when everything just works together seamlessly.

What happens when you have too much Discord?
Too much craziness, yeah, chaos.

What happens when there is too much harmony?
Imagine the Zone in the movie Annihilation.
Everything just blends together.
No need for being an individual because that just gets in the way.
One sour note in the symphony of combining.

Once I framed it this way with worse case scenarios for both, it's easier to see why balance is needed.
Why a bit of discord is needed and why harmony is needed.

This idea might also give clues on what Concordia looks like.

Discord looks like a mishmash of creatures.

Concordia could look like everything mixed in but it looks good on her.
Everything is blended in.
Or she looks like the person she talks to.

Or you just can't tell what she looks like because she looks like everything and nothing.
A bitch to draw, but could be described in writing.

I always felt Twilght was Discord's opposite. Friendship has a way of bringing things into harmony.

Dolphy Blue Drake
Group Admin

Technically, too much chaos is anarchy, and too much order is Tyranny, but yeah, I think I understand, even though I've never seen that movie. (Also, props on the reference to the Apple of Discord).

I intended her to be a second Draconequus, like her brother. She doesn't change appearances (unless she snaps her fingers for some Harmony magic to do the trick), but her parts flow, not clash, and she's symmetrical: her arms match, her legs match, her wings match, her horns match, and if she's fanged like her brother? Why, she'd have two instead of his off-center one. The parts may be the same as her brother's, just with the negative ones thrown out and replaced with a mirror of the positive one from the other side (such as two feathered wings), or maybe her parts are different, like a "druid" or "mother nature" feel, that would have fit her much better when she and her brother frolicked through the young world. (Such as butterfly wings.)

I'm not fully sure of what Concording would do. although I have some loose stuff: since Discording desaturates, Concording does the reverse, and saturates the target's colors further. In addition, at least fighters become pacifists, the loopholes that allow combat to protect one's people, loved ones, and self, all closed, and they wouldn't fight even to save their world because "hurting others is wrong". As for personality change? unsure, as Discord already inverted.

But, she only wants to kill her traitorous brother (in my scenario), and will try to avoid anypony becoming aware of her plan until she's got him trapped in a pocket dimension that she'd drain of all chaos, then flood it with so much order, that he would expire (as I thought that that would be a way he had murdered his sister).

I was considering making a fic entirely about this: first, it covers the pre-Discordian era, from their shared childhood, to his betrayal, and then up until his defeat. Then, a time skip to some "happily-ever-after" period after the show. (Say, 9 Anno Harmonia, 9th year since Luna's return), where the amount of peace has built up enough and lasted long enough for her to return to life. As the tree, all she was concerned with was harmony, but deep inside, her mind had remained, first hurt that her dear brother could betray her, then hoping to bring back the brother she knew, so at least he would become responsible, and then over time, things changed in her, until even her brother's reformation isn't enough, and now free of the Tree, she can do her work. And worst of all, almost all life is naturally tilted towards Harmony from birth, now, and Harmony can't harm her.

I'm wondering if that could work as a fic. Even just the first half, without her resurrection, with maybe the resurrection being the sequel.

Dolphy Blue Drake
Group Admin

Oh, hush. Don't be such a killjoy. That's not the kind of feedback I meant. Just on if the idea is interesting or not, and hopefully some further thoughts.

Okay, in all seriousness, Twilight didn't exist in the almost unknown pre-Discordian Era (all we know about that era is it was before Discord's reign, Discord was "born" in this era, and he was fully-matured when his reign began, so he didn't take over the world and turn it into his playground until he was an adult, meaning he "grew-up" in the end of that era). He had to have some original counterweight until he began his reign, or he likely would have as soon as he was "born."

Hushing... :scootangel:

I just threw that out there.

(Perhaps she died and was reborn a pony?) :twilightsmile:

Dolphy Blue Drake
Group Admin

I'd make a reference to "The Other" from Doctor Who having been reincarnated as the Doctor millions of years after he ran out of regenerations, but I won't… And then realize I just did anyway. :facehoof:

Okay... i have read opening post;

(I shall not name names but spoilers ahead if it reminds you of what you're reading)

Sister of discord has been done at least once before, i read it. I do love the concept as Discord, on his own, always felt like an 'out of context' creature in that he was the one and only. Celestia and Luna are a pair, crystal princess (past and present) has Sombra. Discord (and Twilight) seems to be alone. Much like pre reformed changelings he didn't seem to fit the world. Sure he looked the part but he is the only reality warper without limits (beyond one throne) as even Sombra, Tirek and Luna have preestablished limits. Like Dungeon and Dragon gods they can only do things they have domain over. Yet what we have is a ponified (loosely) Q. Q is fun but I grew bored of him before I grew pubic hair in the 90s. Discord was fun but all I saw was Q and the appeal left (don't be offended if I choose not to read your upcoming fic)

Story Time! (Read warning above)
There once was a Unicorn with a god complex (shocker) who had grown envious of Alicorn Celestia and Luna. In a stroke of brilliance she decides that she needs wings to be every much an Alicorn like them and bring her peace and harmony to all the world. This Unicorn was already a Princess of a nation while I can't remember whether our favorite pair of sisters were princesses or not. So she walks up to her pegasus friend (debateable) and forcibly fuses them together. She promptly goes insane with two voices in her head.

Eventually she (by this time a 'we') realizes that she would need to disgrace herself with 'mud pony' parts if she truly wanted to be an Alicorn.

Her fusion spell has one interesting property; leftover biomass is converted to energy (think Full Metal Alchemist) instead of hanging around. So when she adds yet another pony to the fusion she remains Twilight sized and carries no demeaning earth pony features. Of course this is one pony too many and what grasp of sanity any of the three had goes out the window. Lo and behold; Queen Eternia was born!

She lasted about an hour. Celestia found her/him thing and upon realizing what had transpired attempted to split the two ponies apart. For those that kept up with me will undoubtedly notice a problem with that last sentence. The spell failed and lo and behold;

Discord and Harmony were born.

(Fast forward a thousand years)

A dying Rainbow Dash with Twilight standing over her with a tried and tested fusion spell...

Oh and Celestia still doesn't know the mathematical error from before. She now worries a new life and death themed event happening.

I can't wait for book three when i finally find out how Twilight Dash is going to adjust to living. But i am skeptical; book two was supposed to cover that yet i got the crap you read above. It won't be the last time nor the first that an Author takes a book series in a direction I don't care about; It was still a good read.

Dolphy Blue Drake
Group Admin

Hey, how'd you know that I was having them have once been part of a single whole? But the difference here is they can reform it, temporarily. They both know they can, but neither knows what doing so will do to them, for they were born from the death of an ancient guardian called "Dichotomy", for which their forest is named, was that is where it died. As I've revised the idea to just take place during the Three Kingdoms era, but before anypony in the Hearth's Warming play would be born), Eventually, they'll be put under siege by all three at once (to "stop these insolent brats from interfering with our politics"), and to protect each other and the forest they are the caretakers of, they reform Dichotomy out of desperation.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11