The Disney Chronicles 134 members · 5 stories
Comments ( 43 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 43
Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

I thought I'd open this thread up for discussions regarding the Book of Disney, the main plot device for the Disney Chronicles.

1. So far we know that it contains the stories written and the characters created by Walt Disney and his people. Furthermore, it serves as a gateway to each of these characters's worlds.
  2. And according to Yen Sid from Fantasia's chapter: The Sorcerer's Apprentice, the book's powers can be used for good and evil, and if it were to be destroyed, then so will all the magics, worlds, and characters recorded within the pages.
  3. The book has also displayed the power to project holographic images of symbols or the characters whose stories have already been explored.
Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

which begs the question how did he write the pixar stories and post jungle book

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

1. It's true that most of these movies and characters were initially written by Walt Disney and members of his team, hence where the inspiration came from 'The Book of Disney' as serving a gateway into their worlds. Which would beg the question 'Why should we include Pixar?' given the fact initially Pixar was a separate company before Disney bought it and if anything it should be a side series instead (I've even brought this up SO MANY TIMES). But regardless as to how Disney had wrote further stories post-Jungle Book (Considering he died before all the other ideas were finally made), we should take into account that the Book in some way is 'self-aware' and is constantly evolving as each new chapter in it's page is written. As if the book is a living immortal entity that is constantly growing and never stopping. At least that's my takeaway from all of this.

2. Yen Sid was right about the book's power and it reminds me of a line he said in 'Epic Mickey' on not knowing whether the book was being mischievous or malicious as if no matter what the book 'knew' the roles each reader was destined to play. In a way, it doesn't matter 'who' stumbles upon the book, good or evil, if they should succeed or if they lose (Mostly with the villains). Still the book is of great importance, not just representing the legacy of the man who started it all but the fact that to all these characters this is their natural way of living (Even if most of them are aware of how their stories were meant to end). But if something were to happen to the book, at least in this canon, all the work Disney put in to give his worlds and characters life symbolizing some high power over us all in some 'bible study' junk would suddenly disappear and with it 'all' the magic of childhood innocence. Which is why above all else, the book must also be protected from those who can abuse it's power for their own selfish motives or else such a loss could be worse than the loss of the 'Elements of Harmony' initially (At least the physical gemstones anyway).

3. As far as this method goes, the book uses these symbols for a variety of reasons. We've seen it first orchestrated as a lock combination to access the book, not just using symbols from the 'Walt Disney Animation Studios' films of course and eventually we did get to see holographs of the characters they did meet. But still we wonder: How far can the book go as far as it's power? The characters have once talked about reuniting with their friends at some point, but early on in the series we've neither seen this occur nor has there been a way to communicate with them from one dimension to another. Hopefully later on during the course of the series, the book's hidden magic will be further explored as we hope to also get a more in-depth look at it's origins which up to this point has been vaguely hinted during 'Fantasia'.

cheerful9
Group Contributor

The book looks great!

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I know, right?! Just look at it... Pure Gold! Yes, that does look pretty good. If there was a book like that in real life, I'd bet folks would pay a fortune just to have this in their possession (And try to resell it to get their money back, if not more) but yeah... The overall appearance would definitely draw anyone towards it. The Gemstone itself even looks like the ones that the dwarfs minded for hence possibly how part of the book was developed. I wonder what the 'key' looks like.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Well it's dino choice so you can't really complain with great pixar stories

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Who did that picture

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Yes you are right. It 'is' Dino's ultimate decision to include Pixar stories and there are plenty of films in that line-up to work with. I wouldn't say 'all' of them are great, there are few that even Pixar wasn't particularly proud of but I think they're saving grace is the animation. We don't even know how 'Toy Story 4' will turn out given not everybody expected a sequel to follow-up from 'Toy Story 3' but it could still offer some potential.

Frankly, that's exactly what I imagined what the book would look like, except it's black with intricate patterns around the corners.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Hmm... I suppose I could at least see some 'small' patterns that are black while everything else is gold. Kind of like UCF colors in my state.

An interesting idea. In that case, would it be too much to expect that the Book the ponies have is not the only Book in all existence? Not like, an exact copy of the same powers, but perhaps like at least one earlier version of it, something akin to a proto-Book with major flaws not found in the final version of the Book~?

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

I have faith in dino with the pixar stories

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Who knows? At this point, we are still stuck on Episode 3 'technically' for 'The Disney Chronicles' and ergo it's too early to assume there are other copies of the book. Even if that were to be the case, each book would have to be spread out toward other dimensions and not just Equestria. And on an added note, while Spike was able to find this book moments after it crashed, who knows for long it would take for the other books to be discovered in their own landing points? Even if they were uncovered, there's definitely some factors to consider: The time differences for each book's trips, the level of magic if we are assuming no book is the same, and each would definitely need their own patterns.

And not to mention any effects it has on those who enter the book. Not just species changing, but also age or time distortion, like slowing down or even stopping the aging process even when outside the Book itself~

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Exactly. There's a ton of variables that need to be taken into account before making such a suggestion official to the series. Nothing must be overlooked.

Someone show this to Dino!

It's already on his profile page, man~

Brerdaniel
Group Admin

Impressive! I wonder who made that picture?

Dinodisneylover1
Group Admin

I think it was Phantom-Dragon himself.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Well I suppose that would make sense since it's difficult to find the source of where this picture came from (Unless it's on a Deviantart page).

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Actually, it's in sta.sh on DeviantART. The artist is currently studying the art style for these designs.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I don't blame him. Whomever originally made these books for the movies did such an exquisite job with the design work to make them look authentic. Least we can see where the artist got the inspiration for the gold plating for the book. Almost like Disney has a thing for 'Gold'.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

John Lasseter used to work at Disney before he found pixar so that explains why their are pixar stories i n the book of disney

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I guess there's a bit of justification there. That's why I slowly allowed the decision for Pixar features to be part of the group and just let it... Pass.

Wildcard25
Group Contributor

6865228 I saw those books in person at a Disney exhibit at the museum downtown Chicago a few years back

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Wow... I still can hardly believe how legit these books are. What with all that attention to detail that was put into them and that they were made solely for the purpose of serving as a means of gaining entry into the story. They must be worth a fortune to the most ambitious of treasure seekers.

Wildcard25
Group Contributor

6868918 Makes me even wonder with how many opening pictures they have featured during the narration, and if all the rest of them save for the final page is just blank?

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Hmm... You know, I hadn't really thought of that until now. The thing with the book is that it seems to indicate there are other 'pictures' because if we recall in that 'Pinocchio' story one of the sirens does notice certain stories before they get inside that story.

Unless of course, all the other pages in between the opening picture and the 'the end' part are truly blank thus symbolizing that anything the ponies and their friends do is part of their own story or something.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

I just had a thought and I wondered and I know it may be a car fetch but I think the book of Disney is the spirit of walt Disney himself i mean if this book does has consciences why not be the man who started it all?

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Oh fair point

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

It's possible that a spirit may reside within the book, able to summon and bring back it's readers at will. But what remains relatively unknown is not so much the 'identity' of the spirit, if any at all. Rather I think what is more mysterious is the book's intentions. It's difficult to say whether the book itself is mischievous or malicious, given it doesn't just invite the 'heroes' alone but it also allows the villains to enter the worlds of the stories for whatever reason (Either with intent or amusement). But either way, it seems what we know about the book is that each reader who reads it's contents has some form of role to play for better or for worse.

Regardless of what gender the spirit the book is, for all we know it might not have any gender at all, no means of identification but rather the spirit exists as it's own entity. A being far more powerful than any form of magic in the known universe and if what Yen Sid is true, if such power does indeed fall into the wrong hands then it will spell doom for all. Besides, the book would not have come to Equestria on a whim... Unless the book knew that these girls (And their little Dragon friend) are destined to defend the power of this book at all costs and not just using it to have fun.

Dinodisneylover1
Group Admin

Well, the spirit of Wal Disney is kind of in the book or bound to it, so yes.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Interesting... Intriguing... Well that's definitely food for thought to keep the heads scratching.

cheerful9
Group Contributor

And maybe after their adventure in "The Jungle Book" the spirit of Walt Disney should appear. How does that idea sound?

Or something of mysterious bystander.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

It's possible given that 'The Jungle Book' was the very last feature that was in development before Walt Disney was alive. Though I would've liked to imagine that Walt Disney would make an appearance during 'Fantasia' since it's been teased throughout the chapters. But the closest we get out of it is 'Yen Sid', which is literally 'Disney' spelled backwards.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 43