My Little Reviews & Feedback 505 members · 861 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
TLanguage Barriers
Unfortunately for Fluttershy, being able to talk to animals isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Gay For Gadot · 1.7k words  ·  158  14 · 2k views

Language Barriers is a comedy short-story set in the EqG alternate world.

The plot follows Sunset Shimmer and Wallflower Blush as they arrive at a pet shop in order for Sunset to find a pet for her girlfriend, Wallflower. Fluttershy is dragged along, much to her chagrin and ire, to help select a pet with the best personality.

I won't lie. With a short word count of roughly 1.7k words, I wasn't really thinking much of it, especially with the opening being a bit dry and the author opting to skip descriptions of the characters or scenery (normally a big no-no for me). However, the more I read, the more I enjoyed it, and the less I cared about my personal rule. The comedy isn't exactly what I was expecting, but as a purveyor of dark jokes I was pleasantly surprised. A few times I had to do a giggling double take to make sure I read what I read. That said, it's not rip-roaringly hilarious, but it really felt like it wasn't trying to be and just wanted to tell a darkly funny story about Fluttershy's special talent, and its drawbacks.

There weren't any grammatical errors or formatting issues to be found, at least ones that I couldn't really detect while reading. Either that's a testament to how well put together the story is functionally, or a testament to how enjoyable it was to read to such a degree that I stopped caring about technicalities. Or perhaps both.

All in all, it's a cute, risque little trip to the pet store that doesn't end in disappointment at all... except for Wallflower. Poor girl can't seem to catch a break. Hope that mossy rock can comfort her.

8.5/10 - Highly recommend Language Barrier to anyone that likes short, sweet little stories that has a taste for slightly edgy humor about the darnedest things potential pets say. I would be higher if it had a few more jokes, or gave us readers some visual descriptions (probably in a humorous way), but it's no way indicative of the actual quality of the story.

Azure Drache
Group Admin

Is this some kind of application for the reviewer position? :derpytongue2:

I suppose so. I couldn't find where I needed to apply, and the guidelines made it seem like anyone could review, and activity + merit would just get one recognized. I apologize If I had jumped the gun.

Azure Drache
Group Admin

It's fine, good reviews are always welcome:twilightsmile:

On the mainpage is stated how you can apply though:derpytongue2:

If you’re looking to join up on our reviewer team, great! Send a message to Azure Drache — he’ll give you further instructions from there. We’re always happy to have new members, so don’t hesitate to join us! :twilightsmile:

Alright, you already passed the testreview it seems. so are you in our Discord Server already?

No. Is it free to join, or do I need an invite?

Azure Drache
Group Admin

Group mainpage, the Discord Icon, free to join

Thank you very much. I'll do so.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7