M*A*S*H 11 members · 5 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

Well, we have a favorite episode thread...how about favorite character? Don't just tell us who, tell us why!

...and really if you say Frank Burns, please tell us why :pinkiecrazy:

I'll start. I liked most of the main characters for various reasons, but I'm going to have to go with Charles Emerson Winchester the Third. Yes I know, he's a pompous asshole, and there were several episodes where he was either straight up the antagonist, or just doing something so jerky that it was hard to like him. But he was a far, far cry from Frank Burns in that at least Winchester was a competent surgeon (and thus a believable character in a story about doctoring), and he did have some redeeming qualities. When those qualities came out, they made for some of the best episodes in the series, in my opinion.

Another thing I loved about Charles is his depth. He talks a big game, but look at him - he keeps to himself, tries to make himself look like he's got all the answers and is better than you, but it's not because he's a jerk. It's because he's shy. He's an excellent surgeon, but he hasn't much idea of how to be a person, getting along with other people. So he goes out of his way to try to make himself look like somebody you'd want to hang onto (fouling that up because he doesn't understand it), and he spends the rest of his time hiding in his music or the small bits of the familiarity of home. Being out in that camp just hanging out with people is probably just as exhausting for him as a day of meatball surgery, but he'll never let you know it. The sad thing is, if he only knew how to express himself, he could have made fast friends with all of them. Of course that would have been a happy ending for him and thus ruined his character for the show, but it didn't stop me hoping that he would.

In the last episode, he bid his bunkmates farewell in the same way he greeted them. A simple nod of the head and the word 'gentlemen'. The gestures may have seemed the same, but by then, it was the highest praise. Just about as high as the salute from Pierce and Honeycutt to their CO.

I think I'm obliged by family to say "Klinger", but I always kind of had a soft spot for Sidney. He hung out with the cool kids, but never quite bought into their hipster line of bullshit, not entirely.

And of course, Col. Flagg and his one-man war against the insidious plots of the perfectly rational. MLP kind of needs its own Col. Flagg, a mad subversive in service to the greater good against the machinations of the griffons, chaos, and the Dragon Menace.

I believe you have a kindred spirit in ROBCakeran, if you're saying Sidney Freedman. The main reason I got to talking to him is because I noticed a Sidney quote on his profile :raritywink:

Remember that Colonel Flagg only sits for two minutes a day. He is the wind.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4