M*A*S*H 11 members · 5 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10
ROBCakeran53
Group Admin

With eleven seasons to go through, and the series essentially being broken into 3 segments (S1-3, 4 and 5, then 6-11). Pick one from them all, or one per segment, or one per season! Share your thoughts and opinions.

ROBCakeran53
Group Admin

Soooo many good episodes in the whole series, but my all time favorite is Season One's Tuttle. It's just so out there, so zany, and makes me laugh at everyone's ignorance, minus Radar.

God, I haven't watched an actual episode of MASH since... I don't know. Late Eighties?
Maybe sometime in the mid-Nineties. I sure as hell never remembered the episode titles. I don't think we ever noticed they had titles.

That lunatic Flagg was always good for a laugh. Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is.  I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion.

ROBCakeran53
Group Admin

Yeah, I can understand that. I grew up watching the re-runs in the 90's. Then about ten years ago for the 30 year Anniversary DVD edition, I decided to get the whole series. Worth the money, and yeah, it has titles for each episode. Usually every winter I sit down and marathon the show. That would be another good forum post, for favorite characters, because yeah Flagg is always a riot to watch.

B_25
Group Admin

Death Takes a Holiday. It's the episode that made me love Charles deeply as well as the one closest to bringing me to tears. I'll save you from the tangent on everything I love in that episode and why.

ROBCakeran53
Group Admin

There were a lot of episodes that made Winchester a lovable character, but damn it if the one that really hit it home wasn't the series finale, Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen, with the musical quartet he practices with. Really makes him be human, if that's the right word.

B_25
Group Admin

Sadface

I have a story for you if that was your favorite ep, but I see you already added it to your read list :raritywink:

This episode thing is a tough question for me. MASH's final episode aired when I was four, so I grew up when syndicated reruns were still popular all over the place. I still have "The Big Book of MASH" on my shelf - the mighty everything tome with synopses of every episode, and I admit that in my youth I had a period where I wore olive-drab fatigues with I-Corps badges on them. Hush.

I will agree that Death Takes a Holiday is high up there. I certainly enjoyed the comedic episodes, but the more serious ones tended to resonate with me because all the comedy made them stand out that much better. Dear Sis sticks with me too, if for no other reason than it containing the most memorable quote in the series, for me anyway - "If you ain't where you are, you're no place." (My college ring has 'I am here' carved into it in homage of this quote.)

Naturally the final episode hits hard and is hard to beat, but I find myself enjoying a lot of the Winchester ones. Morale Victory, for example. Something about Winchester never giving up on that boy, and the line "I can play the notes, but I cannot make the music (like you can)." I'm the same way. I can play an instrument, but I can't make music with it. I can draw, but I can't make pictures. And so, I found my niche with writing. That's my canvas. That's where I can make something happen.

And of course, there's always Dreams. Dark and bizarre, but...it had a lot to say. I'm sort of surprised they let Father Mulcahey's dream release like that.

I can go on, but I'll spare the conversation for now.

B_25
Group Admin

That story looks utterly fantastic and I can't wait to read it. Only three fic's inspired by MASH exist on the site, and by gawd, you'rs looks to be the best judging by the glance I took.

Awww :twilightsheepish:

Well, I hope you like it. When I do an 'homage', I try to base it on the source material without pulling too many direct parallels from the action. It's always 'here is my interpretation of ponies in space' rather than 'Twilight Sparkle meets Captain Kirk,' or 'this is Amok Time with ponies dropped in'. I hope it works for you!

I have had another idea for a MASH inspired fic for awhile now. Most of it is already mapped out in my head. Just haven't wrapped it up into a story yet.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10