Changeling Panic! 19 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10
bahatumay
Group Admin

Night actions here!

So not too bad, I think the person that messed up the most was me, though. I may have gotten a little too into the flavor text here, and not really in a good way. Next time I run a game like this (because it works well, it justifies everything and keeps it friendly), I'm going to write up flavor text definitions. The green knife of the changeling kill was supposed to contrast with the blue knife of the Mare-do-well and the red knife of the Mad Mare, and next time, the unlucky victim will have a chance to give his last words in the morning circle before jumping off the island.

That being said, in this kind of game, an Arsonist's victim would be labeled by a yellow flag on their cabin, which would have to be revealed in a flavor text. But come to think of it, I don't think anyone's ever tried claiming being doused without being doused. hope I didn't just botch someone's strategy...

As I sent out roles, I realized the hybrid might be a little unbalanced here. Then I realized that under the rules, you get a name from each side, but it doesn't specify that you're told which side each name belongs to. I almost did that here, but didn't want to throw too many crazy things out or change the expected game, especially with all the wonky flavor text. I think I'll start doing that, though, just to try and keep things a little more balanced. This would keep the hybrid from becoming too strong in the beginning, as they'd have to wait to see which name was on which team before they could share. Thoughts on this change?

Also don't let me forget to make that table of what each role could be under the Royal Guard check, I keep forgetting to do that.

Actually, Adda le Blue claimed doused when she wasn't in master18's Infiltrator Test Game.

Regarding the green knives...

I'm not very sure, since this isn't indicated in Da Rulez. It could be a regular changeling attack, since Baha usually indicates changeling killers by "drained of all magical energy" but this time, it's a green knife and the killing team was clearly stated.
Urgh, there's too much uncertainty. I'd like to ask about this in the after-game thread.

~Josh

...I questioned if green knives are changeling assassins or not, something that probably could be more clearly stated for the future. Since in your games, I think Assassins can perform non-special assassinations, like if ordered by a Queen.

I'm not sure how I feel about removing the team from the Hybrid's info, but it definitely would add to the panic. Could really backfire for the player though, especially since both names may be claiming town.

master18
Group Admin

6542994 I've claimed doused as arsonist before because sometimes if you can believably get the claim out there first then people are more likely to distrust the second claim

Also I think "hybrid is told two names but isn't necessarily told which is which" feels a bit of a cheat and would make the hybrid a bit useless, no?

How would the last words thing work?

bahatumay
Group Admin

The way I saw it, the hybrid knowing names but not teams means they can't come out with the information right away. They'd have to wait until later in the game when one player dies before using their information (because then it's revealed, and they know the team of the other). I was thinking it would move their effectiveness to the middlegame instead of the opening.
Of course, another changeling could be like "I'm hybrid, [lynched changeling] was my changeling name, [queen] was my townie name", so that would be interesting.

Last words would be, "Hey, you've got the green knife, you have to leave the island. Any last words?" and then they'd go and jump off the pier.

bahatumay
Group Admin

But I hear you on the Arsonist thing. It'll be a yellow flag by the fire pit instead.

Ah, I see. Gotcha.

Can I still clarify how to differentiate assassins from normal changeling kills?

bahatumay
Group Admin

In Fun Fun Island? Maybe thrown off in the middle of the night, no last words allowed.
Heh. This mode might need its own Da Rulez.

master18
Group Admin

6543590 Okay, that's fair I guess about the hybrid. I suppose one of us could do a test game with that. D'you reckon we shouldn't tell people we're when we're testing it so that they don't know for a fact that there's a hybrid in the game?

Do you mean that the player gets a chance to say something during the day or are you saying like, as the flavor for how wills work?

bahatumay
Group Admin

Yeah, no telling. I'll just add it to Da Rulez so it's an option, but doesn't have to be followed.
I was thinking flavor text for wills. So it'd look something like this:

"You all wake up and it's good news for everyone but baha. With a green knife embedded in his doorframe, he's been marked for removal by the changelings. He stands up in the circle, reveals his blank role card, and gives his last departing words of wisdom: 'It was probably Ana Amari. We usually kill each other in these games.'
"With that, he walks over to the pier and jumps off. He attempts to backflip in the air but only belly-flops, which somewhat ruins the tragedy of the moment as everypony bursts out laughing. But the atmosphere soon seriouses up again, as this has proven that there are changelings in their midst."

baha was booted by the changelings and was the background pony!

Adda le Blue
Group Admin

Wow, look at those night actions. Poor RAIDN.

Three on three with three neutrals, though? You must have known your Hybrid would side with the Town. :ajsmug:

Yes, perhaps the Hybrid could be a little overpowered at times. I would have been more interested in playing both sides if I hadn't worried so much about the green knife looking like an Assassin, but I suppose paranoia is the name of the game, haha. Only one boop in the nights, though? That's almost a tragedy itself. Well done, Wolfcape.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10