Monster Mares 589 members · 506 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18
Robipony
Group Admin

What is a Monster Mare?

-I do NOT own this image. Find it: Here.

The word, Monster Mare is derived from the combination of Monster Girl and the word Mare, for a female pony.

While the term, Monster Girl was coined by a few Japanese light novels (according to my research), the concept has been around for centuries as seen in various mythos, like Medusa in Greek mythology and the dragon in the tale of Beowulf. Truth of the matter is a Monster Girl originally just referred to a female monster. If you had a female goblin she would be a monster girl.

Later the term would refer to any girl that had monstrous on inhuman traits.

So does that mean a Monster Mare is just a Monster Girl? No. In the case of the word mare, it specifically implies a female pony. Thus a Monster Mare is a mare with monstrous traits (or a monster with traits belonging to a mare), not just a female monster. In other words, a monster mare would be a female pony with monstrous traits or in extremely rare occasions (like with a slime) a monster that possesses traits like that of a female pony.

So you might be asking, how does a Monster Mare come into being. Here are a few ideas/thoughts on the subject.

1. Hybrid: Once a pony and a monster fell in love and had a baby. This resulted in a hybrid. If the hybrid is female then it would count as a monster mare.:derpytongue2:
  2. Monstrous Species: They have been around this whole time, either in the dark corners of the world hiding from pony eyes or just in an undiscovered region.
  3. Mutation: Something happened resulting in a regular mare mutating and becoming a monster mare. This could be as simple as drinking a potion, touching an artifact, being genetically altered by a god, or even having an ancestor who was a monster or monster pony.
  4. Traveler: Perhaps your Monster Mare is only a monster in Equestria, because she isn't native to Equestria at all. Perhaps she is from another planet or dimension.

Aside from having female pony traits the sky is the limit for what designs you can have for your Monster Mare. In our library we even have a soda pop Monster Mare and a The Thing themed Monster Mare. Feel free to just take a pony and slap on some characteristics of your favorite monster, animal or inanimate object (like I said we have a story with a Soda Pop Mare). Go wild and have fun.

Just try to avoid the whole little kid game of: "Oh, my character has trait A, B, C, D, and E, making it an unstoppable Mary Sue." Though the discussion of Mary Sues is really for a different group entirely.

When writing a story about Monster Mares you also need to establish a few things about the pony populace. Do they view monster ponies as equals, lesser beings, monsters, superior beings, or just confusion? Also are Monster Mares (or monster ponies) common or rare in this world?

This should determine how the ponies in the story interact with your character and believe me, this is really half the fun of creating a story with Monster Mares.

The other half is of course creating your own Monster Mare.:raritywink:

I hope after reading this you found this thread to be both an enlightening and fun experience.:twilightsmile:

-I do NOT own this image. I am merely using it as an example. You can find the original: Here.

Robipony
Group Admin

I realized I missed one.:facehoof: Added Traveler to the original thread. :twilightsheepish:

Comment posted by Galaxy Nebula deleted Sep 30th, 2019

Would vampire mare OCs count as monster mares? I have a friend who owns one and I'm rather curious

Robipony
Group Admin

7008320 Yep. :eeyup:

They sure would. They even have their own section on the monster mare story list.

You know recently i have been looking up vampires from other cultures, its actually shocking at how wide spread myths about vampires actually are and how many varying types there are.

Would siren mare OCs be considered monster mares? I own one and I'm curious if I could post stories that include them here.

Robipony
Group Admin

7093194 I think they might. :pinkiesmile:

Excellent... :moustache:. I wasn't going to work on anything until I got a response just to be sure.

is their any fluff monster(s)/ mare(s)

Robipony
Group Admin

7318459 Fluff monster mares? Like monster mares that are fluffy? :rainbowderp:

if I were to give a description ahem

large soft paws a prehensile tufted lionel tail large fennec fox-like tufted ears and covered in thick silk soft fur with a thicker plush pillow of fluff on her chest designed with one purpose to be the ultimate fluff ball a snuggle monster!

am obsessed with all things fluffy and snuggly

Robipony
Group Admin

7322847 Well, I'm sure we have some fluffy monster mare stories... somewhere.

7322846 So is this actually like a creature seen on DA? If so could you send me a link/image via PM. I am intrigued. :pinkiesmile:

I'm sure you do have one somewhere and sure let me find it

Buck up you monster mare! That sign doesn't look that tough! Claw it down!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18