SciTwiShimmer 238 members · 343 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Hello, I’m a bit new to this ship and I’m working on a short story called Runaways. Basically, in the story I’m going to include 3 ships in it which are FlashLight (Pony Flash x Pony Twilight), Sciset (Pony Sunset x Sci-Twi) and FlashShimmer (Human Flash x Human Sunset). I have Flashlight and Flashshimmer all figured out but I’m new to writing about the SciSet ship and wanted to make sure I write it properly.

So, my questions here are these:

• What is so appealing between Sci-Twi and Sunset
  • What do they have in common that could make them attracted to each other
  • What bonds do they share that demonstrate their feelings
  • And just your own personal opinion about why you like the ship

That's a bit of a kettle of worms, but here's my take on it.

The appeal is the juxtaposition of their contrasting yet complimentary personalities and characterizations:
- Sunset is brash, emotional and outgoing, while Sci-Twi is introverted (at least at first), intellectual and reserved. In a way, they complete each-other by having different personalities.
- They're both intellectuals, but again, the contrast is that while Sunset is a practical academic (prefers to "get into the field" so to speak), Sci-Twi is more of an intellectual academic (analyses in a lab and use book learning / data). Again, while they contrast each-other, their natures are complimentary, as one's approach strengthen's the other.
- They clearly care about each other. If you watch them in the series, they're always there for each-other, and are usually the first of their circle of friends to come to the other's aid.

Commonalities
- Both have magic-induced transformation trauma in their pasts. That is a commonality that they share that none of the other girls have.
- Both are very intelligent and academically inclined.
- Both have been social pariahs (Sunset after the Fall Formal, Sci-Twi from being a bullying victim) that overcame their isolation.
- Both are outsiders that found a place with the other (Sunset's not human, while Sci-Twi was a sheltered prep-school kid).

Why I like the ship:
For all of the above reasons, and that they just, y'know, work as a pair. They contrast, yet compliment. They regularly show concern for the other above and beyond that of which they show the rest of their friends group. They have actual chemistry with the other.

Gonna have to agree with a lot of what Voice said, because thats pretty on point for me too. There’s also the point I’m going to add that while the human Twilight is not a doormat, and is, as was pointed out, Sunset’s equal in a lot of areas, she is also not presenting Sunset with open competition/challenge. Sunset by her own admission, does not “like losing” to the point that it does overload both her rationale and engage her temper. Someone like that does not do well in a relationship where they see their partner as competition or as someone who has beaten them…nor do they do well with someone who is as assertive as they are. They are similar enough to have common interests (both are apparently exceptionally good at chess, both are academics, i’d wager both enjoy reading in leisure time—Equestria does not have cable TV or internet, and sunset admitted to having no friends before the formal, so reading was likely her go to leisure activity), both are curious about magic, Sunset by virtue of being a magic unicorn and Twilight because its a puzzle to solve and one bad experience wont turn her off to that it forever…

They have actual on-screen chemistry going. Legend of Everfree, despite the inclusion of Timber, has Sunset spending most of the movie fretting like a worried girlfriend—to the point that she 1. Warns Flash off, 2. Runs around after Twilight the whole movie, ans 3. When Flash tries to have a genuine conversation with her, she basically blows him off because she’s fixated on Twilight. You have other little moments in the background too in a lot of places—theres a number of spots where anytime balance or falling is an issue, Sunset is either helping Twilight down or reaching out to steady/catch her. The way Twilight returns the worried gf behavior in the Groundhog Day special at the music festival, and of course the intimate conversation on the cruise ship, that frankly, had it not been written with two females and had instead shown a heterosexual pairing, would have been enough to confirm for anyone that they were canon.

I’d say though, rather than looking to other fans for the answers, take time yourself to go over the material and look for things yourself. Really watch and study the interactions, the personalities, the characters, and figure out what YOU like, what YOU see. Because…speaking freely as someone who writes a LOT, writing is hard work that requires a lot of reaearch and time and effort to really be your best work, and if youre writing something because you want external validation from people and so youre writing to pander to a specific audience…youre not going to stay motivated. Write for yourself, friend, to tell the story you would want to read.

Hi there!

Well I think they've already said what I could have said.

But just to answer a little more, here's my opinion.

* What is so appealing between Sci-Twi and Sunset?

Answer: Both complement each other very well, having similar tastes but at the same time almost opposite personalities. Being Sunset much more careless and focused on her own fun, while Twilight is always looking for "perfection" in her work.
They make a contrast that simply makes them work as a duo. It's easy to imagine them as roommates, colleagues at work, and of course, a couple.

* What do they have in common that could make them attracted to each other?

Answer: Well, as has been mentioned, it is clear that they have interests in common, such as studying or, most likely, reading.
Both have difficult pasts, both were prodigious students, but each with a dark time, with Sunset being the story we know and Twilight being always alone with no friends.
Not to mention that both of them were trapped by evil magic and turned into monsters that nearly destroyed the world.
Both had to learn what friendship is and each one had their moment for that magic to turn them into heroes, overcoming their past. (Sunset at Friendhsip Games and SciTwi at Everfree)
And even without the magic, Sunset helped Twilight out of her lonely life, so even then there's already a strong bond between the two.

*What bonds do they share that demonstrate their feelings?

Answer: The above, the lonely past, the corrupted magic, the learning of friendship, and how they help each other.
During the movies and specials it is noted that the friendship they have for each other is stronger than the one they have with each other.

* And just your own personal opinion about why you like the ship.

Answer: For all of the above. I just think they are a perfect pair for each other, they complement each other and understand each other too well. The series and movies already let us see that they have a special affection for each other and because it simply works.

And yeah, I think that's all I could say. Hope it helps and your story sounds interesting. I hope it goes well.
Good luck!

What do they have in common that could make them attracted to each other

lol wut?

Thank you for your responses. The main reason I asked this question is because it’s something that I’ve never tried writing about before. This is a new field that I’m writing and I’m terrified that I’ll mess it up if I’m not careful. But I think I’ve got a better understanding on the the relationship between the two thanks to your comments. In addition, I am going to spend time going over the scenes and movies that you all suggested. In addition, I feel more confident in writing the SciSet section of my story now as well as a better idea of how I want to go about it thanks to your comments.

Thank you for your time and words, it was really helpful.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6