The Equestrian Diarchy 62 members · 134 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Amethyst_Dawn
Group Admin

The more Celestia's character is shown in canon, the more we can appreciate the wisdom she's gained from her multi-millennia of ruling Equestria.

But, I think we can all agree that wasn't always the case... Who else could see this sort of thing happening during her first few years?

(Also, special thanks to Berry Delight for making me aware of this video.) :twilightsmile:

My headcanon is that she was a lot like Blueblood when she was young, and viciously cruel toward Luna. Or at least manipulative. Lots of blaming the victim, scapegoating, baiting and switching, etc. Sibling rivalry is a real thing.

I'll just keep thinking my silly thoughts until canon defies me. :derpytongue2:

Fireheart 1945
Group Admin

5915085 I see her less as egotistical and probably more just not noticing or underestimating the whole trouble Luna was having, and yes, there would have been a time where Celestia and her sister were inexperienced; we have clues that they were born (Hearth's Warming's Eve pageant and season 6 premiere) and were not deities, after all.

I think Celestia just didn't take the problem seriously until Luna was possessed by Nightmare Moon. I don't think it was an ego problem so much as sisters failing to communicate, or maybe being busy.

Amethyst_Dawn
Group Admin

That's a very good take on it, Fire.
However, I don't think I was clear: I wasn't saying she was necessarily egotistical only towards Luna, though with the last line in the video in context with the post, I can see how that can be drawn. I was trying to say that I think she might have been sort of a glory hound at one point, that Luna might have been just as equally overwhelmed and elated by all the power they gained.

I think you're dead-on about the incident with Nightmare Moon, but I also think that came into the picture a few hundred years later than their little "teenage power trip". :twilightsmile:

EDIT: Yeah, looking at the original post, I definitely wasn't clear on that. :facehoof:

Fireheart 1945
Group Admin

5915312 Hmm. I generally believe that Celestia and Luna had this sort of disagreement a few years or two after coming into power, which would probably be somewhere in their twenties or maybe thirties. Unfortunately, we don't have concrete evidence to go on; the show is about Twilight and her friends, not about what Celestia and Luna did 1000+ years ago.

Regarding the two episodes that just came out, I was kind of afraid - still kinda am - that Starlight and Trixie and their pals will be replacing Twilight and co. as the main characters. It's probably irrational, but...

Amethyst_Dawn
Group Admin

Fair point, I can see that.

And yeah, I was kind of worried about that too, but I'm not really anymore. Even if they get more episodes centered around them, I don't think they could ever replace the Mane Six. If they become the new center of attention, I'm oddly fine with that.

For a lot of people, the main hook for the show was its slice-of-life morals, and you can only do so many with a fixed cast of six characters, oddly enough. To use an example from the most recent episode: Starlight's anger problem wasn't something I could see being done well with any of the mane six, since they've all learned a lot of lessons about using magic instead of directly resolving the matter. She's still learning, so it felt natural for her character to make that mistake, and it was relatable to watch (at least for me).

I also feel like the show is entering a new arc, but I highly doubt that the Original Cast will be cast aside, forgotten, or reserved for cameos. We've grown attached to these characters, but letting them become secondary characters isn't something I feel too bad about: since My Little Pony; Friendship is Magic is a show about life, friendships, and cliques. Whether we like it or not, cliques change all the time, and this show has a good history of letting us feel bittersweet emotions.

I guess what I'm saying is that if it reaches that point, I'm confident it will be addressed well. I have faith in the writers, they know what they're doing. :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6