Logic Prevails 48 members · 10 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Not so New Brony
Group Admin

With so many stories on the site, I have noticed that a lot of Human in Equestria stories I've read tend to involve conflict more often than not. It could be anything from a street fight to a war on a global scale. Even in shipping stories with human protagonists, there is always some form of conflict that involves violence.

Is there a reason behind this trend beside the 'humans have a history of violence'?

5425343 Violence is the easiest conflict to portray in writing, but whether it is portrayed adequately and well is another matter altogether. Violence is also the biggest factor in pushing forward in a story structure; it is the perfect amount of physical and emotional trauma that people use to facilitate to a plot's end.

Is there a reason behind this trend beside the 'humans have a history of violence'?

It's because most authors have no experience with real life and aren't writing from what they know. They're writing bad imitations of popular TV and movies, which are themselves melodramatically bad portrayals of usually very stereotyped conflicts.

Monkey see, monkey do, and it keeps being done as long as it rewards the monkey. Violence is a go-to form of entertainment that appeals to a low common denominator, so it's easy to get an audience with it, without the quality of the writing be all that important. Why do you think, for example, Game of Thrones is so popular? Think about it: minus the intensity of the violence (and to some extent the sex), it would a terribly boring show that no one would like. The characters are all thoroughly unsympathetic, cynical, horrible people, and the world is for the most part generic medieval fantasy. It does little to explore relatable issues about the human condition in a realistic sense (other than perhaps the simplistic message of, "people are scum when you give them the power to be scummy"). The only thing it does is set up and offer a long series of cruel and violent deaths... and this is enough for it to do very, very well in in the ratings.

Not so New Brony
Group Admin

5425354 Not the answer I was looking for but still a logical one. And thanks for the story:twilightsmile:

5425477 A good point but the use of violence in the stories seem to be rather prolific, quite a few feel forced at times.

5425733 Huh, guess that's why I like old war movies so much though I doubt every author who use violence in HiE fits into this category.

As for Game of Thrones, I've never watched a single episode of it before so can't offer an opinion on that. All I know about the show is that many of the characters gets killed. Well, that and the 'winter is coming' line Twilight used.

I feel the combination are humans and violence within the stories is just coincidence violence is found in most stories humans crave conflict humans in this instance being the readers and not the characters

The characters who happen to be human is more of a pseudo self insert you can't go to this magical Fantasy Land but this human that's somewhat vague can and you can easily imagine yourself in his or her place which is in theory the purpose of humans in Equestria stories
Save for interesting crossovers with their shows or video games.
The purpose there is the crossover

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6