Soft Hands 55 members · 124 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19
PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

As promised, I have posted a review blog including each entry, which you can find here.

In this post, you will find extra commentary in the form of constructive criticism, for the most part, because that's outside the purvey of my usual reviews. This is where you can read how to fix stuff that went wrong! Presented in reverse chronological order, Mature fics first.

Oh yeah, I should've said this first PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO YOUR STORIES UNTIL THE RESULTS ARE OUT, we want to keep the judges' experiences all the same.

DICKFIST: There's a lot of 'as' in that one sentence about the right hook. I want to say the description gave me the wrong expectations for this story, but it kind of didn't. How many human dick spells are there? The chapter title contradicts one of Lyra's statements! You got a "for the love frosting" in there, and "she could help thinking." The Llamas With Hats reference was genius. This whole thing is genius.

Twilight's Bathroom Is Flooded With Soft Hands: Why is "Dragon" capitalized? Why is "Tactical Airstrike"? You forgot to capitalize "ponyville" a couple of times, and also a couple of "i". But my god, this is glorious. Way better than the original.

Soft: The prompt drops in the sex scene killed it for me. (I don't ever want to see the word 'soft' in a clopfic again.) Granted, the sex scene killed it for me, but that's just me. POV's a little shaky; telling this from Ember's POV was a good idea, but then you get some thoughts from Spike in there. I very much appreciate you skipping over round two. But yeah, as clopfics go, it's at least got really clean, solid writing.

Lyra's Quest for Pliable Paws: I like these italicized words; they suggest that all is not well and set me slightly on edge. (I wish they had continued more consistently throughout the story.) "And to the library that held within" doesn't need 'that'. Spell out numerals. Hm, I thought that mention of the distracted caster was going to be building up to a Fly reference; I wouldn't have minded it! Not a ton of typos, but this could use a quick proofread. I'll mention too that at first it sounded like Lyra was trying to use teleportation for transformation; summoning makes far more sense. You use 'torn' twice in two sentences. The "oh shit" is a little off-universe. I'm surprised by how humorous you made an exploded person, though.

They Come at Night: Great first line, but then it immediately jumps into not explaining what 'they' are or going into more detail, which is jarring tonally, and something of a letdown, though by the end of the first scene, I'm set totally on edge. Avoid phrases like "My eyes stare"; she's the one who's doing the staring, not her eyes. That last semicolon in the "Wind blowing" sentence should be a colon. The repetition of the first line of each scene does a really great job in building tension and showing how the situation progresses. And perhaps no line is so creepy as "I've lived here by myself for my entire life". I spent the final scene with my hands over my mouth. Jeez.

The Hardest Hand: "Came through the window to the ponies", "one of them on the card", referring to the stallion as 'they': this is full of awkward word usage. I, too, am confused as to why the mare is wearing a bra. For the second time this contest, I have physically slapped my forehead, vis-a-vis Derpy's bluff. Okay, I'm not sure how much feedback you actually need/want, nor if it would be helpful at all. Of course, your biggest mistake was listening to Pascoite, that meddler. :V

Little Miss Canterlot: I'm confused as to what's supposed to be conveyed by "Mmm-mnh-mnh". A smidge disappointed you didn't go more into what Sweetie has to do to get ready for the pageant; that's a pretty big time skip, plus it doesn't really seem like Apple Bloom and Scootaloo actually do anything, aside from cheering. Also, "Lady-stilts"? The scene with Diamond Tiara's gymnastics routine is something of a POV-shift, since Sweetie's not there and the rest of the story has focused on her for the most part. You've got a "Sweeite" in there. The end is missing two things: buildup of tension, and a reaction from Diamond Tiara. In fact, you could have gotten a lot of mileage out of DT's antagonism. If there's anything you change later on, I'd suggest using that to add conflict, but as a slice of life, it works pretty well the way it is.

Handmade: "Figment of a dream" doesn't quite make sense. The "cold sensation" section is kind of really dark; I'm not sure you meant to go that far into horror. (I mean, our protagonist has no mouth but must scream…) Honestly, I don't have a lot of feedback to give, because you pulled this off quite nicely. (Well, other than "where's your Human tag?" :B)

Handiwork: Though I was amused by Twilight's reason for wanting to participate in the contest, the dialogue doesn't always feel in-character, especially Spike using words like "rather". This is a random comedy, though, so I'm not sure how useful feedback is going to be. I did at least laugh!

Metal Gear Soft: I really wish that you'd included a link to the "DX:HR trailer" in the description or something; I had to Google it to find out what it was. Watch your tenses! The way the code names and characters are introduced is pretty matter of fact; you could definitely stand to work those into the narrative more naturally. For instance, the "Yeah I'm Cheerilee" line is too direct; we know Cheerilee's in this story, so identifying her as having been a teacher should suffice. This happens a lot throughout the story, where you have the characters outright explain what's going on for the benefit of the audience. Despite that, I never got a really good sense for this, what things look like or how they're doing any of this, what the 'enhancements' really mean. Crossovers (at least, I assume this is, though it's not tagged) need to be accessible to those who don't know the source material, especially in contests when you've got people who have to read them. Why does everything go italics in the first chapter? You should definitely find yourself a proofreader to catch things like that. When you've got two female characters in one scene, be careful using 'she'. The hyphenated false starts ("Liq-Cheerilee") don't really work in narration. And lastly, that final scene feels rushed, and the joke falls flat. It's not a good use of the prompt.

Give Me a Sign: There are better ways to make a protagonist sympathetic than making them pathetic. Starting Kyle's story earlier could have helped with that, so that we see his troubles rather than being told about them. Same thing goes with emotions. I don't know if you have any experience with Deaf culture, but it's not represented well here; that line about his inner monologue not being 'normal' is a good example of why. It's spelled "strode"; you should definitely try and find yourself a good proofreader. Lastly, "person is sad/friend cheers them up" isn't really a story, per se. You could definitely do more with this idea.

The Best of Tensions: One would think that there being no ripe grapes or apples would in fact be when Berry could find booze the easiest. It has to be fermented after the harvest, after all. Try not to use 'and' twice in a sentence. It's 'ethereal', you only need one quote to quote inside a quote, and there's a spot where you didn't capitalize the first word after a cut-off bit of dialogue, and you've got 'set what had'. Otherwise, it's fine! My only other question would be was she imagining regular Spike or "Sir Spike"? Because I assumed it was the latter, which only made this funnier.

Manus Dei: The biggest complaint I can see about this story is that it seems to exist outside of canon, but that's what you were going for, and it works quite well. I do wish that you had taken one more step with Jet Set's last line, about Celestia and love and mercy, and twisted that around into religious screed, echoing The Cask of Amontillado or somesuch. Watch for commas outside quotation marks and the occasional uncapitalized 'I'.

The Horrors of Inappropriate Amounts of Lotion: There's a 'callus' that should have an -ed on the end. The only thing I could suggest to better the writing is to slow it down a little — there's a spot near the end of the first scene where Starlight speaks, but it's not obvious it's her — though this does accomplish what it sets out to do.

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Contributor

To - sort of - answer your question: There is a metaphysical shop near where I work in Atlanta, called the 'Phoenix and Dragon.' They have a witchcraft section with many books that contain "spells" and each one of them has at least one for use on/or about dicks. Which I assume are of the human variety. I COULD BE WRONG.

To wit: Five dickfingers make a fist o' dicks. Ten dickfingers make two fists o' dick. Two fists o' dick make Lyra THE DICKFIST. Like Hal Jordon is THE Green Lantern(until he's not and has a different title for decades and then goes back to being the Green Lantern again).

In my defense, the phrase 'as soon as' has two 'as' in it by default.

Damnit! I knew I missed more than the one typo the Abyss pointed out.

Thanks for the technical review, PP! Thanks for the actual review too. I'm sorta sorry, but not really, for subjecting you and Majin to it.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll get those typos and such fixed. To me, one important function of the last paragraph was establishing that Rarity is acting on some preexisting notion verses being the latest and last massage zombie. Oh, and I briefly considered adding absinth to Berry's list of vices :trollestia:

We aren't supposed to fix things up? damn it. I fixed the stuff Moriarty pointed out before i looked at this. Should i go back and un-fix them, or leave it be?

Anyways, "Spike the Dragon" is a proper noun - he isn't just spike, he isn't just a dragon, he's the trademarked, patent pending, accept-no-illegal-substitutes genuine premium superfresh brand. If you aren't capitalizing his species, you're probably getting a cheap Canterese knock-off. Similarly, the Tactical Airstrike isn't just your everyday, garden-variety bowel purge: it implies a force and vigor that you'd only find in the brave of heart, the bold of spirit and/or dragons in general. (Granted, it's not the most epic of revolutionary movements: that would be the Royal Canterlot Tactical Airstrike. As far as Equestria knows, though, there's only one alicorn in the world who can pull it off, and it wouldn't exist at all if she laid off of the goddamned sweets from time to time.)

The nitty gritty is all stuff I need to fix up eventually, though. Stupid "I"s! They always give me the slip. :ajsleepy:

I'm surprised by how humorous you made an exploded person, though.

Well, chatting with an actual officer, he gave me this example, so I can't claim credit for it.

"Ste! Ste! Chuck me a bag will you?"
"What have you got?"
"I dunno, I think it's a foot! Yeah... that's a foot!"
"Fucks sake, ill get the science bods to photograph it, how big is it?"
"It's a foot what do you think?!"
"..."
"about a foot long"
"ooh, fancy a subway after?"
" go on then"

I don't really like to explain my stories, because I'm worried it's like I'm trying to defend or justify my story, or even worse, talking down on the person I'm explaining it to. I'll do my best not to come off that way, firstly by saying thank you for reading, reviewing, and critiquing my story. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it.
"Mmm-mnh-mnh" is the cadence of someone saying "I don't know". It's that thing people do when actually saying "I don't know" is too much effort or investment, so instead they just shrug and make the sounds. It's like "Mm-hmm" or "Mm-mmm". "Lady-stilts" was an attempt at a joke--that walking in four-inch heels is like wearing stilts. I guess it didn't work.
I made it a time-skip from the beginning to the pageant because I don't think her preparation would've been very interesting. My reasoning was that there'd be sufficient preparation within the pageant itself to illustrate the things I wanted to get across.
I definitely struggled with the point-of-view thing during Diamond Tiara's gymnastic demonstration. My original thought was having Rarity watch both the routine and Spoiled Rich's response to it (and that this would further fuel Rarity's change of heart), but I couldn't find a way to make it work without feeling clumsy. And regarding antagonism from Diamond Tiara, I felt adding much more would just be redundant. I don't know. Lastly, I didn't write a reaction from Diamond Tiara simply because I didn't want it to detract from Sweetie Belle's moment.
Diamond Tiara's main role in the story is too accentuate the differences between her and Sweetie Belle. While they're both very good pageant contestants, they approach and handle pageants differently. Diamond Tiara represents the more superficial side of pageants, right down to her efforts of gaining her mother's approval.
Apple Bloom and Scootaloo... It's true; they don't do much. "But it's not about what they can do for her--just having them there is more than enough," or something sappy like that. Really, their involvement is helping to get Rarity to agree, providing moral support with cheers and hugs, and being in the crowd so Sweetie Belle has someone to sing to. I thought all of that, plus a little comedic relief, was sufficient involvement for them, especially because I couldn't think of much else for them to do.
Finally, on the topic of tension: Sweetie Belle is the protagonist. Even if one ignores the cover art, one can accurately assume she's going to win. The story isn't about her winning the pageant. It's about the relationship between Sweetie Belle and Rarity. Honestly, the story would be largely the same even if Sweetie Belle lost. That's why I didn't put in too much tension. I don't really think it'd give the story much more impact.
Please don't think I'm discounting your critique. There are definitely things I can and will be taking away from it. Above all, it demonstrates that I need to convey my thoughts and intentions more clearly in my writing. Thank you for your thoughts.
And that "Sweeite" thing... Yeah, that's embarrassing. It's at the most important moment, too.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

Don't sweat it if you did, I should've codified that in the rules in the first place. :B

I guess I've just never seen "the Dragon" capitalized like that before. o.O I mean, it makes perfect sense to do so, and then there's "Mister the Dragon"...

I kinda thought so. Negative humming should use more n's than m's, like "Nn-nh". Granted, I don't see that a lot. But yeah, sticking closely to the relationship was a good idea, and it's what makes the story work, in my eyes. I guess one could consider DT a distraction from the main plot, in that case...

Majin Syeekoh
Group Admin

Way better than the original.

I heard that. :V

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin
Majin Syeekoh
Group Admin

5401603 Oh it's on. :V

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

My soft hands will pierce the heavens! V:<

Majin Syeekoh
Group Admin

5401617 These hands of mine soften with an awesome power! Their moisturizing grip tells me to defeat you! >:V

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

something something these golden fingers

Majin Syeekoh
Group Admin

5401641 I'll something your fingers

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin
Fuzzyfurvert
Group Contributor

Get a room you two. There might be little digits in here.

Majin Syeekoh
Group Admin

5401897 I'll show you the only digit that matters.

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Contributor

You guys're creepy

And I know creepy

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19