Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

The 2005 video game had ups and downs (to my relief, the Angry Video Game Nerd gave it a pass) and I used to play it as a 'guilty pleasure' since I'm probably one of the few people who liked it, especially the story. So for this thread, let's talk about the game from the game play to the story.

I used to play it as a 'guilty pleasure' since I'm probably one of the few people who liked it, especially the story.

Are you kidding? That was- and still -my favorite video ever! I played it everyday and I'm not ashamed of it!

5550557 Glad to hear that. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, seeing as this is a Shadow the Hedgehog club.

5550570 I should really get my Gamecube out again sometime (or my Wii, since it plays Gamecube games). I never even got close to completing Shadow The Hedgehog. However, although I may have not finished it, I still think that it's a good game. It doesn't deserve all of the hate that it gets. Just because it included guns doesn't make it terrible - it IS Shadow The Hedgehog people! Not Sonic (although he does appear in the game).

I should really get my Gamecube out again sometime (or my Wii, since it plays Gamecube games).

Maybe I should dust off my Gamecube too.

I never even got close to completing Shadow The Hedgehog.

I went through all the endings, including the Last Story, and I have 68 out of 71 A-ranks. I could get the last three anytime I want, but I'm playing to get all the Library paths along the way.

it IS Shadow The Hedgehog people! Not Sonic (although he does appear in the game).

Oh, PLEASE don't tell me that's a reason for people to hate the game. :ajbemused:

it IS Shadow The Hedgehog people! Not Sonic (although he does appear in the game).

Oh, PLEASE don't tell me that's a reason for people to hate the game. :ajbemused:

Yep, it is pretty sad. I read somewhere that many people have critised the game because of its inclusion on guns alongside the traditional Sonic gameplay. I rather enjoyed the gun combat - I thought it made it unique.

I have 68 out of 71 A-ranks

There's no S ranks in the game then? When was the first game to have those?

5552519 But the designers SAID the game would have gun combat and focus on Shadow when they first advertised it! I remember reading about Shadow the Hedgehog for the first time in Nintendo Power and I thought the idea of Shadow wielding guns and driving vehicles was cool! Probably the closest thing to Grand Theft Auto without being Grand Theft Auto. People who weren't gonna like this had no real right to complain if they ever played the game. If this wasn't gonna be their thing, they should have stayed away from it! They were told what was gonna be in it.

I don't think Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Heroes had S-ranks either. For Chao Garden stuff, maybe, but not for any of the action levels for those aforementioned games to my knowledge. Hell, the Last Story in Shadow the Hedgehog doesn't even have a rank! You just clear it and you're awarded the Shadow Rifle. And that's it. Yes, A rank is as high as you go in Shadow the Hedgehog, and if you get all 71 in Story Mode, you unlock harder game play. I kinda stopped getting Sonic games after Shadow the Hedgehog, so I wouldn't know when S-ranks in levels began, if that's what you're asking.

But the designers SAID the game would have gun combat and focus on Shadow when they first advertised it! ...People who weren't gonna like this had no real right to complain if they ever played the game. If this wasn't gonna be their thing, they should have stayed away from it! They were told what was gonna be in it.

That's the thing dude, people just decide to read all that information, be ok with it all, buy the game and play it, then have a massive moan about it. It's just silly.

Probably the closest thing to Grand Theft Auto without being Grand Theft Auto.

You're not wrong on that one. I will say though, Jak 2: Renegade is probably the closest game I've played to GTA, since it essentially has all the GTA-ish gameplay:
Kill Civilians
Steal Vehicles
Guns and normal combat
Missions

I wouldn't know when S-ranks in levels began

For some reason, Sonic '06 cries out to me. But, I'm probably wrong.

That's the thing dude, people just decide to read all that information, be ok with it all, buy the game and play it, then have a massive moan about it. It's just silly.

You know, when I was a kid, I had that moment with Super Mario RPG before I got into it and RPGs themselves. I only got attracted because it was a Mario game that looked cool. As of nowadays, I consider myself a game master in Super Mario RPG because I obtained the legendary Super Suit. I'm also a "game master" in Donkey Kong 64, having found virtually everything.

For some reason, Sonic '06 cries out to me.

Because there might be S-ranks? Or that you think you want to play the game? I used to want that game myself, but everyone's going around saying that it's God-awful. Even the story is wiped from existence in the end.

It was different, but not quite bad. I went into this game with high expectations when it first came out and left it feeling quite satisfied. Not great, but better than some of the worst games in the series with a solid story. Just a shame nothing really changed with Shadow in the long run.

Comment posted by Black Kyurem deleted Nov 27th, 2016
Comment posted by Humanity deleted Nov 29th, 2016
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17