The Authors' Cafe 226 members · 1,751 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

So I had the idea to use some photos throughout my story just as little visual extras, and I wanna know how well they work.

(story for those wondering https://www.fimfiction.net/story/338253/beneath-the-suns-surface)

I think it's kind of odd that they're real life pictures, and not done in the style of the show's art, but at the same time it fits REALLY well with the grit I went for in my story.

Thoughts?

I've always found that pics in a story make it harder to be immersed. It's better to be descriptive with words.

5384130 Honestly I think it can be done if done right. Are you telling the story around those photos, or are you just using them to bring a bit of visual aid to what you are trying to describe?

5384142 Mostly visual aid. It's very difficult to exactly show what some of these scenes looked like with words, and it would be nice to give the reader an idea of what the aircraft I mention in the story would look like. (they're based off real helicopters, but their names are different)

5384138 Really? That's odd.

5384165 Well again if it's done right then I don't see anything wrong with it.

5384173 Well, I feel the pictures look nice.

5384186 Alright, well good luck to ya.

Sparkletop Rainbows
Group Admin

I like this idea. Go for it.

5384486 I certainly will. I might make a few more for the last few chapters, since I can really only make these using real photos.

Maybe on a blog the story is tagged in, but not in the story itself. I find that drives the reader out of the story, reminding them that they're looking at a writing, and not experiencing a part of the world for themselves. Just a thought.

5385735 Well... I don't have a blog. Keep this in mind; only these two pictures are featured as little fun bits throughout the story.

Hmm.. might work. Just offering my opinion.

5384130 You can include them, as long as your story doesn't rely on them. Some people listen to stories or read them on a device that doesn't show pictures.

5385911 The story doesn't at all rely on the pictures; I'm just adding them as little visual extras here and there.
Like on this chapter: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/338253/21/beneath-the-suns-surface/why-does-everyone-drink-whiskey The photo is just an extra. Making the story rely on pictures would be a little too hard for me, since I put at least 3 hours into editing the photo I added to the chapter linked in my comment.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14