Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Well, that wasn't supposed to post with no text.

Anyway, for all of the issues we deal with as a result of being autistic, where's the silver linings? I swear the things that autistic people are normally good at, repetitive tasks, doesn't work so well for me. Like if you put me in such a job like most jobs are, I would not last all that long. And yes, I know autism affects everyone in different ways. And even in spite of that, I don't know what super "power" I have as a result. I don't know that one amazing skill I have that I could profit from.

I've done game modding before, but mostly on the coding side of things. I'm not all that great of a coder or especially programmer. Yet, is this supposed to be my claim to fame? I'm 36 and yet, I might as well still be a blank flank for all I know about my special talents or something I do excellent in.

Well, I was able to type fast enough to get a data entry position, a temp one trying to kick me out on day one. 80 WPM isn't so impressive when it goes down trying to read people's handwriting. And yet there's people who can type close to twice as fast. If I go above 80 WPM, typos are easy to happen.

I'm so frustrated about this. Where's my silver lining? I don't know how to work smart over working hard. I'm employee like a majority of autistic people are. I haven't worked since 2018 and that was a mall backroom that I increasely gotten more frustrated with over time before flat out quitting one day.

It's always so hard to fill in "write down 5 positive things about yourself" papers.

BatwingCandlewaxxe
Group Contributor

I don't have any "super power", and I really despise that trope. The "Super Power" trope (like the closely related "savant" trope) is an ableist rhetorical device used to deny or diminish the struggles and difficulties endured by disabled and neurodivergent people, imposed by a culture that refuses to adequately accommodate their needs and differences; or even to even recognize their shared humanity. It's a form of Othering, which in its extreme results in a sort of "mysticalizing" objectification, depicting its target as something other than equally human, but outside and removed from so-called "normal" humanity.

You remind me of this video. I actually have been annoyed when autistic people are only portrayed as super amazing. "Positive" stereotypes are still stereotypes. I'm not a genius, I'm not Rain Man, Being autistic doesn't mean I'll automatically be so amazing compared to everyone else. "You're so smart, how can you struggle so much?" Stuff like that, yeah, not good.

Which reminds me. I've seen people who want to be autistic because "super powers!" and "the social thing will be no big deal, it's easy". But that's another thread entirely.

BatwingCandlewaxxe
Group Contributor

That's an okay video overall, but there are some things I would definitely quibble with, particularly the expressed view of autism vs. disability. Many autistic people (including myself) do consider their autism to be a disability, and strict exclusive adherence to the social model of disability very often ends up being a form of disability denialism. Also, Sheldon Cooper is about the worst example of "representation" I can think of (the whole show is hugely problematic in multiple ways).

I recommend these channels by autistic spectrum people:
First As Tragedy
Orion Kelly - That Autistic Guy

NicLove
Group Admin

7942036The Model ... Trope, Explained

p.s. Satoshi Tajiri doesn't have Asperger

if we are not a Genius,
then we're just a Worthless thing
that should be Thrown-out in the back of the Closet

I tend to learn things pretty quickly but obviously not in any case

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6