Pagans of Equestria 20 members · 55 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

I'm not sure what religion this puts me in, but here goes. I believe the Creator made all things good, but everything is alive. Many powers, the Divine Powers, go according to the Creator's Will and are good and benevolent. (Sun, Sky, Earth, etc.) Other powers are opposed to the Creator's Will and have chosen to go against the Creator's Will (Powers of disease, famine, etc.) Humanity is caught between these two powers and our purpose is to align ourselves with the Will of the Gods, to strengthen the power of good.

(Of course, some things are merely misfortune not evil. A hurricane may destroy your house, but is necessary for growing things to live.)

I guess the question is why there would be anything that goes against the creator's will. If there's more than one creator, the creator isn't all-powerful or you don't claim the creator is perfect you have no real problem with your mythology... but without something like that it doesn't really work in my mind.

Also I'm not sure if a hurricane is helpful to the environment in any way, but assuming it is... you still could have created a universe where they are unnecessary if you're smart/powerful enough/

Free will, so there's an actual choice, without which there would be no real morality, only automatons. Hey, one might argue mistakes makes life worth living.

"A hurricane may destroy your house, but is necessary for growing things to live."

How is a hurricane necessary for growing things to live? Obviously, plants need rain. But a hurricane?

Hurricanes are interesting things. https://ecmpalhurricanes.weebly.com/how-do-hurricanes-affect-plant-life.html They have both creative and destructive properties. Not all destruction is evil.

Interesting. But, if I had a weather-control machine, I'd still stop hurricanes. If the cost of that were losing some plant species, so be it.

I’ve always felt that you come across as a pantheist.

Have you ever read any of the philosophy of Spinoza? I feel like he’d be of interest to you.

I'm somewhat familiar with him.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10