Pagans of Equestria 20 members · 55 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

This is from the scriptures of a people in a novel I'm working on. Does it contain the same "depth" so to speak as the original? Also, that story's always struck me as odd. Why is knowledge presented as evil/wrong?)

"Now, it came to pass that the Demons were driven to enmity against the Children of Men and brought many evils against them. The Gods took counsel together and the Shining One was sent to find one worthy to bring knowledge to the People. The Shining One curled up in an apple tree under the guise of a serpent. Eve was a woman of the People who went every morning to fetch an apple from that tree. Unafraid when she saw the serpent, she plucked the apple. Then did the Shining One appear to her and said unto her, 'Honored are you oh, Eve, for you were unafraid. Thus will I give unto you all knowledge that you may bring it to the People.' And Eve fell upon her face before the God. He taught her to plant and to sew, to make garments and to cook food and other arts besides."

It's good, but I have never read the bible or original version of where this is from. And, my thought is that while knowledge, the idea, knowing, is good. But, some knowledge, say, how to kill, how to lie, how to steal, etc, is bad.

The general idea behind a loss of innocence narrative could be a reason why. Though, depending on how you view the Christian narrative, that could be seen as something to fear/distrust/scorn in it or not a literal fear of knowledge, but something different (disobedience, forbidden knowledge, etc).

Most religious traditions at least have forbidden knowledge as a concept, and since Adam and Eve were depicted as able to name creatures in the garden, take care of other plants/animals, and communicate with God/each other and all that, they had to have some knowledge. Most likely the fruit is supposed to be forbidden knowledge because of who was tempting them with it and the distress it caused.

This might sound weird for this group, but by all means read the Bible ESPECIALLY the Book of Genesis. It's a treasure trove of literature.

You're writing a story where the Eden Snake is the good guy? I think that's a bad idea!

Whatever your intentions are: This is going to feel like an attack on Christianity. And it's going to fuel the idea that Pagans are a bunch of Devil-worshipers.

History in my story is...very different. But if someone interprets this as an attack, I can not help them.

Well...considering that Christians believe that God has a grand plan and everything is part of the aforementioned plan... isn't it already consistant with Christian Faith that the Serpent ultimately did the 'right' thing?

I mean, according to Christian beliefs (unless I'm mistaken), the Forbidden Fruit is why Humanity has an understanding of right and wrong, and therefore sin. Knowing what sin is, is why the death of Christ is significant : that humanity now has a potential salvation from sin since Christ paid for humanity's failings.

So yeah...to me, someone outside looking in, it does seem like the serpent was acting in accordince with the Christian God's carefully drawn out plan.
Unless of course you're saying that the temptation of Eve was not part of the Divine Plan, which would mean that the Christian God is less than perfect; since God's grand design took a heavy blow that took a very long time to 'correct': which I imagine would be interpreted as an attack on Christianity.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9