HaS Political group 44 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 22 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 22

After hearing what happened in Orlando I regrettably and hastily jumped and claimed that Gun control wasn't what had to be done in the US but rather to improve the school system so everybody could learn to stop hatred... nobody listened to me.

After that I decided to see what the media, society and other political figures started to say and I was horribly disappointed:

The Republicans said that "we had to pray" but they didn't take any action whatsoever, they talked about the muslims being banned but ignore that Muslims are trying to reform their religion so it could be adapted to modern society, they say that Gun Control shouldn't be banned but they don't admit that it must be regulated the system to deliver guns, etc.

The Democrats claim the Republicans as evil but they don't admit that their party has problems as well, the President shows sorrow for the commotion but doesn't address that it was a terrorist attack caused by radical muslims (ISIS took the blame), the Democrats claim that Gun control must be done but ignore the fact that gun control won't erase the hate (thus terrorist will try to cause damage with something else, like a bomb) and the school system must be reformed, they claim that this is a hate attack on homosexuals because it was on a gay bar (ignoring that there were also latinos and painting them in one color instead of treating them as humans) while ignoring that the shooter was a client of the bar (thus, a gay as well), they shouted evil when the governor of Texas claimed "You reap what you saw" but that phrase it's fine when the Democrats said it against the republicans when Donald Trump won the Republican nomination (laughing at the suffering of people that didn't want him while acting like everything is fine when Hillary Clinton won the nomination).

Both parties claims that the media is biased against anything that isn't from their party and allowing any type of abuse in their own media.

From this I came to the conclusion that the problem isn't the Republican or the Democrat party, the problem are the individuals who are starting to politicize themselves (without even realizing) and segregating the other half of the country. Not realizing that EXACTLY THAT WAY OF THINKING is what lead this year's elections to be run by a Corrupt and a Fascist, no matter who wins, everybody will lose.

5303481 Listen, when I finally get of my ass and decide to set up a new country, you're invited.

Thank you, although not sure why.

5303506 Because unlike so many others, you actually think.

Out of curiosity, what exactly do you think could've been done differently in the school system that would've prevented this?

Also, we have the testimony of the shooter himself, we don't have to speculate on the reasons for him to do what he did. It's a bit like painting Kristallnacht as an attack on the middle class of Germany because the victims had German citizenship and were of the middle class and ignoring what the perpetrators themselves said. Outlining in such broad strokes can cover over important details.

Well, here in Venezuela we used to have catechism as a way to teach ethics and morality (then Chávez eliminated that), now the Opposition is trying to start a new type of teaching in schools: "Peace" . Yes, the opposition is literally going to add a class called "Peace" in schools to start teaching again tolerance (teaching what religion is and in what consists) among other things so the new generations doesn't end up being as hateful as the current ones.

THe law to implement this new type of class it's still in discussion so everybody can give their opinion, but I'm not sure what I can say about it (although I would have to read the law again to make a better opinion).

Does the US have something like that? a class that consist in teaching moral and/or ethics, that way the new generations learn to tolerate (remember that tolerance =/= acceptance, you can tolerate something even if you don't like it) others?

I think the closest we have in America is "Social Studies". As best I can recall - from back in the 90's - it was a grab-bag of USA History, how the government works, and extra-USA geography.

I think about as far as we got on the moral front is "Racism is Bad". Religion is basically the same thing as race, so it fits under the same umbrella. Ethics/morality is a subject usually left to TV, the movies, and, to a lesser extent, parents. Most schools also have some kind of library so kids who want to learn can read books.

Not realizing that EXACTLY THAT WAY OF THINKING is what lead this year's elections to be run by a Corrupt and a Fascist, no matter who wins, everybody will lose.

I understand that Clinton is corrupt, and I concede that, but Trump is not a fascist, and I'm actually a bit sick of people using that as a buzzword to describe politicians they don't like.

I used Fascist because that's the closest I can use to describe Donald Trump without causing too much trouble. While he's a nationalist, most of his current speeches are more in the lines of fascism, he's aggressiveness are also similar to Chavez's campaign on 1998 (and before you think wrong, Chávez was a political genius, and I recognize Trump's skills so far. After all, he became the Republican representative). He's a right wing man, but I don't know a word that describes the problem with choosing him and the closest that comes to my mind is fascist.

Provide me a better word and I will use it.

That doesn't sound too promising... most of those fronts can be very biased and parents that doesn't know how to raise kids may cause more harm than good.

Alright, then I won't use that word again in here.

Here's the thing, Gun Control =/= Gun banning (something that even I confused a while ago), and what it worries me is that some people try to ban guns (which is ethically wrong).

With better regulations you could make sure that terrorist or madman's cannot get guns through official means (only smuggling which is another subject in its own). I live in a country where guns got banned and now the govenment gives them to those loyal to them to terrorize the people and the police cannot do anything, the last police group that did their job, PoliSucre, got intervened recently and now they're replacing them with adepts to the government, so no, I disagree with gun banning, but I do agree with better regulations to make sure that dangerous people cannot use them.

I don't remember who said this, but I still remember it:

Any nation where it's citizens have to ask permission to the government to defend itself, isn't a democracy.

IDK, but the gangster idea sounds kinda fun. I like it.

Mine are the 50's (During the Dictatorship of Marcos Pérez Jiménez), the 60's (the beginning of Democracy in Venezuela), the Andino Hegemony (1899 - 1945) and the Yellow Liberalism (1870 - 1899), becuase I consider them important moments in the history of my country and where I think we were the most interesting in both culture and historical context.

I know about him, I respect him and I enjoy his influence across the world of cinema and comedy, but I still haven't watched his work (yet). I would love to, but right now I'm researching my own country's history because after 20 years of my life, I realized that I barely know anything of my own country and wanted to fix that. Once I have a good amount of research of my own country's history I will start to go to the other countries (still. I like movies so one of these days I may end up watching one of Chaplin's movies).

Here in Latin America we have our version of Chaplin called "Cantinflas", the mexican stereotype of the dumb good hearted guy who tried to live day by day (and he worked mainly during the 50's). Again, I have to watch his work, but my grandfather always speaks well about him.

The other one is Roberto Gómez Bolaños (a.k.a: Chespirito. A word that comes from a spanish deformation of the word Little Shakespeare) who made a lot of works during his acting career (the most iconic being El Chavo and El Chapulín Colorado).

But I will start with Chaplin, promise.

Yes, I live in Latin America (Venezuela) and don't worry, every nation has racism of some sorts: Venezuela has segregation, Brazil have a problem with blacks, Perú dislikes Asians, etc. The USA isn't the only one and remember that those racist are always a minority (and remember, There's also racism in Africa from Blacks to white people).

hm Rapture... I'll need some Splicers.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 22