The Witching Hour 176 members · 13 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16
Chaotic Ink
Group Admin

Okay guys, I figured it was high time I explained the rules of kirins as they apply in the Witchingverse, which are mainly just simple ground rules for how they appear. It's still important, though, so keep reading.

To start with, there are two types of kirins, wyvern and dragon, followed by sub types, which are unicorn, earth pony, pegasus, thestral, alicorn, and so on and so forth. Now, a lot of these rules focus on the wyvern type, so let's start with them.

All wyvern types have the following traits: retractable fangs, draconic eyes, can breathe fire, large draconic wings with a single claw at the bend of the leading edge, hard hooves, often sharp, and tails with a tail-mane and ending in some sort of weapon. They are also all highly resistant to unicorn magic, but both alicorn, draconequus, and changeling magic can affect them (queen magic effects them the same as alicorns). Certain physical traits differ from sub type to sub type:

Wyvern-Unicorn (Example: Midnight Storm): these kirins differ by the unicorn horns they sport, but also by the fact that they can't cast spells with them due to the natural magical resistance inherited by their wyvern parent. They do, however, have much larger and stronger fire blasts as an apparent compensation.

Wyvern-Pegasus (Example: Storm Vine): these kirin differ by their wings being almost twice as large as their other kirin cousins. To put this into prospective, a unicorn or earth pony kirin can shelter roughly four normal-sized ponies under their wings, while a pegasus unicorn can shelter nearly eight.

Wyvern-Earth-Pony (Example: Bright Storm): these kirin differ by being larger than the others and having even stronger hooves. They also have a stronger resistance to injuries.

Wyvern-Thestral (no examples exist at this time): Same as a pegasus kirin, only with the addition of ear-tufts and fixed fangs.

Wyvern-Alicorn (no examples exist at this time): a kirin with all the traits of the kirins birthed from the three main pony tribes. As alicorn magic can affect wyverns, these would be the only kirins capable of using magic. However, as they have wyvern blood, their magic would be more comparable to a strong unicorn rather than an alicorn.

Other kirins may rise from such species as changelings, griffins, zebras, and so on, but at the moment they haven't been explored.

It must also be noted that wyverns are together in clans, and as such have clan names. Known kirin-producing clans include Storm, Stone, Flame, and Wind. So far no other clan has come forward with a kirin of their own, and indeed, some are even violently against such unions. *coughbloodcough*

That being said, almost all pairings between wyverns and ponies have been voluntary and loving affairs. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the second main type of kirins, the dragon types.

Almost all dragons kirins are the product of their pony mother being sexually assaulted by their dragon father, who, because of size issues, is almost always a young teen. What could be even more traumatic for the pony mother is that the kirin will show the physical traits of the father more than that of the mother. If the father is blue, has ram horns, and no wings, than the kirin will almost certainly display these traits as well, even if the mother is, say, a red pegasus.

If there is anything good to be noted for this type of kirin, it's that they are accepted by their wyvern-borne cousins; unusual due to wyverns and dragons disliking each other as a matter of course, so this is due to both their pony ancestry and the scarcity of their species.

Alright, so dems da rules. I left the dragon-kirins more open-ended so as to give folks a bit more room to explore what they'd want in their kirin character, as well as the fact that dragons are cannon and I'd suspect that more of you would be more comfortable using that method for their origins and not try to conform to my non-cannon wyvern clans.

5197580 And yet again you do something that propels Tempest farther forward in her character development. If this keeps up I am going to have a finished Kirin this year. Thanks Ink.

Yeah this helped my kirin OC production a lot. I can now get really into the background history much eaiser and level out some details! Thanks ink!

Btw, when is that next chapter coming out? I have literally been dying to read it :P

Comment posted by Vaine deleted Apr 26th, 2016

I haven't finished reading The Witching Hour yet. Is there anything different about their sense of smell, hearing or eyesight compared to regular ponies? I know you said they have draconic eyes but I'm curious as to what that entails.

5197580 to be more precise, European/western dragons are cannon. We have yet to see a dragon of Asiatic ancestry in the series proper.

Chaotic Ink
Group Admin

np, glad to help :twilightsmile:

Chaotic Ink
Group Admin

I apologize for the pain I am causing you, but the next chapter is Hearth's Warming and it's hard to reconcile one self to listening to Christmas music to get in the right mood when it's spring outside.

Chaotic Ink
Group Admin

Originally I planned to enhance all three, but now they just have better night vision than normal ponies and sense of smell

Chaotic Ink
Group Admin

exactly. while the official map did grow, we still don't know what lies beyond the great western sea. Unofficially I say Neighpon.

5198964 Now if I could only figure out what she looks like. :rainbowlaugh:

5198969 so much pain.....BUT I SHALL PREVAIL! TO ME BROTHERS, WE RALLY! :rainbowlaugh:

but yeah that totally makes sense, I could see how this would be a problem :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

5198972 I'm also curious about kirins born from wyverns. Do the wyverns in your universe have just the pair of wings and two legs? If so have you considered making a Kirin with a similar setup?

Chaotic Ink
Group Admin

My wyverns are indeed based on the "two wings and two legs" and no, I haven't considered having a kirin with those same properties. As far as biology is concerned, their pony DNA cements 4 legs and 2 wings

Visit the coasts of the Baltic Sea then, it's been snowing for the past 3 days now

5197580 Just found this post and am glad that despite not reading this beforehand that Rune and Blare don't conflict at all due to their father being a dragon Kirin! Oh the coincidence!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16