Season 6 Episodic Fanfic Group 28 members · 7 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

I wish in Season 6 to begin with a reunion between Starlight and Sunburst, as well as Party Favor, Sugar Belle, Night Glider, and Double Diamond.

Astral Phoenix
Group Admin

That would be pretty good to see I myself wonder if we will see Sunburst appear in Season 6 and reconcile with Starlight.

That would be pretty cool.

Yeah, but we'd have to get ready for the raging Starlight x Sunburst fans. :rainbowlaugh: I wouldn't be one of them, I ship Starlight with Double Diamond, and I'd have Sunburst friend-zoned.

5030789 They don't do that normally in the episodes does Hasbro? Correct my grammar.

I know I will offend quite a few people with this view, but I want Rarity to explicitly friendzone Spike.

Why? Because by now, their relationship is creepy as fuck. Although possibly for different reasons than you think.
Lily Peet has done a video some time ago that gets things half right. Now I'm not completely agreeing with him. Lily says Spike is a child, but it's actually a bit more ambiguous. On the one hand, he is treated like a child by the others (including Rarity), but on the other hand, he has a job as an assistant, which only makes sense if we assume he's an adolescent or young adult. Sometimes he acts extremely childish, sometimes he seems to be the only mature one in the entire group. Look, I get it. Dragons age differently than humans or ponies. However, this ambiguity actually makes things worse.
We all know that an actual relationship between Spike and Rarity is not going to happen, and the ambiguity of his age is precisely the reason for that. I don't think it necessarily has to be seen as a relationship between a minor and an adult (which is why I can still enjoy romantic fanfiction and even clopfics that involve Spike as long as they portray him as an adult). But given the ambiguity of Spike's characterization so far, the possibility to see it that way will always be there, and that is reason enough not to do it in the show. I really hope I don't have to explain to you why. Lily Peet's comparison to Family Guy isn't exactly spot-on, it would be more like Allen Gregory in some sense, but that doesn't change anything.
But the age difference isn't even the real problem here. The problem is that it is obvious by now that it wouldn't happen even if Spike was Rarity's age, simply because it's obvious by now that Rarity is not interested in a romantic relationship with Spike at all. So far, Rarity had three romantic interests on screen (as far as I remember). All three of them were unicorns, and two of the three were white-coated. I think it can be concluded that Rarity has a thing for unicorn males exclusively (maybe including alicorns, but we still have to see a male alicorn), with a favor for white coated ones. Not to mention she has a thing for nobility and classiness, which both aren't exactly words that describe Spike.
But Rarity is still using Spike's feelings for her to get favors from him, and not only passively, but rather actively. She has flirted with him in the past to get what she wants, not only in Secret of My Excess (in my opinion the dumbest episode of MLP anyway, with Spike at Your Service as the very close runner-up). By now, no one can tell me that her obliviousness isn't an act. She knows exactly how Spike feels for her, and she shamelessly uses that to her advantage. Of course it becomes far, far worse if we think of Spike as a child, but it's creepy as fuck even if we think of him as an adult.

As I see it, there are only two ways to resolve this in a responsible way. They could either somehow believably age up Spike, make it absolutely and undoubtedly clear that he is an adult in every sense of the term now, and then actually have them have a romantic relationship. I can't see how that could be done convincingly for a lot of reasons, and it still runs a very high risk of running into the aforementioned unfortunate implications, but I'm open to the possibility that the authors might surprise me. Or they could let Rarity do the mature thing and make it clear to Spike that she is not interested in him. The big advantage of this second option is that it offers quite a bit of potential for character development for both Rarity and Spike. Rarity will have a chance to confront her own occasional selfish tendencies (which usually aren't that bad and are balanced out by her generosity, but still become outright obnoxious as soon as Spike is involved), and Spike will have a chance to grow beyond a hopeless crush that will go nowhere anyway. It could even be a step towards maturity for him.

It should be clear by now that I prefer the second option. As far as I'm concerned, the idea of a romantic relationship between these two characters is simply too tainted by what we've already seen in the show so far.
Secret of My Excess is particularly creepy in this respect, by the way. Spike has a growth spurt, which Twilight explicitly says is a part of his maturing process, and then at the end of the episode, he more or less willingly reverts back to his childhood form for Rarity's sake, in a scene that does at least have romantic connotations - and after that whe never hear of it again. I wonder what the authors were thinking when they wrote this, and how anyone could have believed this was a good idea. This is one reason why I don't think the first option can be pulled off convincingly. It would already be difficult without Secret of My Excess, but after that episode, I think this option is forever foreclosed. The only remaining responsible option is having this relationship end. By this point, just keeping up the status quo and not addressing the issue isn't a responsible option any more. As a matter of fact, I think this has gone on for far too long already.

5030824 Hasbro doesn't do make out scenes all the time. They won't do this. Sunburst and Starlight will just be friends I'm sure.

I agree. Rarity isn't interested, and it kind of is getting awkward. Besides, Rarity is constantly taking advantage of Spike's generosity. She basically begged Spike for the fire ruby, and once used him as a pin cushion (Element of Generosity, everyone). Those are some reasons why Rarity is my least favorite of the Mane Six.

Friends that bronies will still ship.

5030869 Nuzzling cheeks and bumping rumps are fair game, though.

Lily Peet has done a video some time ago that gets things half right. Now I'm not completely agreeing with him.

Bolded emphasis mine. Lily is a woman.

As for actual episodes, I'm hoping that with the birth of Princess Flurry Heart, we're going to get some details about alicorns. I'm also hoping we finally get a Celestia episode. I think the writers have avoided writing an episode for her because a) they haven't thought to and b) bureaucracy is boring. The second reason, however, is only a small part of what Celestia is. She's a sister, a mentor, a lover of fun and pranks (the Gala episodes, anyone?), and frankly would be the best person to give the alicorn details I mentioned earlier.

As for the Equestria Girls film, I'd like two things to happen (both would be wonderful). First, I want closure on what happened to the original human Sunset Shimmer, and how no one apparently noticed that there was a difference between the two. Did she run away from home? Does she even exist (after all, there are humans which don't exist as ponies and vice versa in-canon)? Second, I want Sunset and Princess Celestia to reunite. This can either be in the human world or in Equestria, but I'm pretty sure Sunset will stay in the human world. There's more for her there than in Equestria, after all.

Bolded emphasis mine. Lily is a woman.

Yes, you're right. I got irritated by the voice for a moment. I doubt that Lily will read here, but I apologize to her.

5032808 I know that. Also, I made a new group yesterday.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15