Writing Renaissance 400 members · 1,968 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

So, the other day, I was lamenting the fact that I've been having zero luck wit finding another co-writer. Someone in a skype group I was in suggested I try a different approach, said approach being to reboot the story with EQG instead of making it a pure human AU as it is now. Me, being the over emotional, irrational moron I am, couldn't understand this or see this as anything other than an attack on me and my work. But, I've had some time to think and...I don't know.

On the one hand, rebooting it could garner more attention and whatnot at the cost of me not enjoying what I'm doing. On the other hand, I could stick to the format I have now and let it continue to be a largely unknown and passed over, but I would be happy. I can only cling to the "write for yourself" mantra for so long. Ultimately, I will want some kind of attention and to have a fic I pour my heart and soul into ignored because there's nothing familiar to the fandom hurts.

I'm just confused is all. Rebooting it would mean I'd have to do everything over again, and while this could give me more time to fully develop story arcs and other things, re-writing all of those chapters would be a massive pain, plus I wouldn't be happy or enjoying myself.

I could really use some advice or...something. Anything!

5536230 Well... you could keep writing it on your own. You may have to come to the possibility that you may not find another co-writer and you might have to either continue the story on your own or just give up completely.

It's better to enjoy yourself than let your audience dictate what you write...unless you're seeking attention.

On the one hand, rebooting it could garner more attention and whatnot at the cost of me not enjoying what I'm doing. On the other hand, I could stick to the format I have now and let it continue to be a largely unknown and passed over, but I would be happy. I can only cling to the "write for yourself" mantra for so long. Ultimately, I will want some kind of attention and to have a fic I pour my heart and soul into ignored because there's nothing familiar to the fandom hurts.

You're writing for unwise reasons, and in doing so, you're letting other people dictate your happiness. That's really not ever going to make you happy.

I don't like telling people they shouldn't do something, but in your current position and given what you seem to really be after, it's possible that writing and taking your chances with a fickle audience just isn't a good fit for you and your needs.

5536538 Whilst it is true that your main goal is to please yourself with your work, it is very difficult to tell if you are improving or not without any feedback or criticism from others. It's not so much about having a lot of followers, as it is having a lot of opinions, as this is the only way you will really learn what works and what doesn't.

I have been researching the most popular writers on here, and reading their work to see what makes it so great and enjoyable. I would suggest writing a short story with an incredibly interesting story line, to the absolute best of your ability, and get as much feedback on it as possible. People are more likely to take the time to read a short story, and it will work as a 'sample piece' that they will be able to critique and comment upon, and decide for themselves whether to take the time to read any future stories.

Reading popular books in real life can really help. I have just finished the 3rd Game of Thrones book, and the story I am working on at the moment is far better written than any of my past stories.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4