I HATE Starlight Glimmer 143 members · 54 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

Hello everybody, and welcome to the first part of a two part blogpost. Originally, this was supposed to be a single post, but whilst writing this and taking my notes, I rapidly realised this was going to be absolutely massive in terms of length, so I decided to split it into two parts.

In this series of posts, I shall be taking a deep dive into one of the show's more controversial characters and a moment which arguably changed the dynamic of the show forever; the redemption of Starlight Glimmer.

It will come to no surprise that Starlight Glimmer is a controversial character for many reasons. I want to make one thing clear; this blog is not to bash the character. Instead, I am more interested in analysing what went wrong with her redemption, in my opinion, and how this issue could have theoretically been fixed.

The core issues with Starlight's redemption, and her later inclusion in the series as a member of the principal cast, can be boiled down to three core problems.

1. Starlight's motive

At the end of The Cutie Re-Mark Part 2, Starlight's motives for all the shenanigans since the start of Season 5 are revealed.

Starlight Glimmer: And just like that, my friend was gone. His family recognized his magical talent and sent him off to Canterlot. I never saw him again.
Spike: Well, why not?
Starlight Glimmer: Because of his cutie mark! He got his, and I didn't! He moved on, and I didn't! I stayed here and never made another friend because I was too afraid another cutie mark would take them away, too!
Twilight Sparkle: That's ridiculous. A cutie mark can't take your friends away.

-The Cutie Re-Mark, Part 2

It rather goes without saying that this is a completely ludicrous motive for a villain. Tempest Shadow at least has the excuse that she was actively shunned and discriminated against by other ponies for her deformity. Starlight Glimmer's plan essentially boils down to 'my friend left, so I threw a tantrum and decided to be a dictator, then decided to wreck a group of friendships and nearly obliterate reality in the process';

Sunburst: I'm sure Star Swirl and the Pillars did the best they could back then, but magic has come a long way. Mostly because of the work they did.
Starlight Glimmer: That's true. And you did get your wings from finishing one of Star Swirl's spells.
Twilight Sparkle: Exactly.
Starlight Glimmer: But then I messed with one and nearly destroyed the universe, so...

-Shadow Play, Part 1

Not a rational response.

To understand why this is such a problem, let us look at a similar incident from Season 1. In Call of the Cutie, the episode starts with Apple Bloom being friends with Twist. Partway through the episode, Twist gets her Cutie Mark;

Twist: Oh, what's up, Apple Bloom?
Apple Bloom: So I was thinkin'... maybe we could go to Diamond Tiara's cute-ceañera together. I don't have a cutie mark, you don't have a cutie mark.
Twist: Well, um...
Apple Bloom: [gasp]
Twist: Isn't my cutie mark swell? I've always loved making my own favorite sweets, but it took me some time to discover that it was my super-special talent. Pretty sweet, huh?
Apple Bloom: Yeah, pretty... sweet.
Twist: Hey... this doesn't mean we can't go to the cute-ceañera together. You're still gonna come to the party, are you?

-Call of the Cutie

Instead of throwing a temper tantrum over her friend now having a Cutie Mark, Apple Bloom instead makes some more friends, in the forms of Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. It's worth pointing out that Apple Bloom is a filly, and yet responds in a far more mature manner than Starlight Glimmer, a grown mare.

2. Starlight in Season 6 onwards

At the end of Season 5, Starlight Glimmer is accepted into the 'inner circle' of the mane cast, with no strings attached;

Starlight Glimmer: [gulps, exhales] I know there's no excuse for what I did, but I want you all to know that I'm ready for whatever punishment you think is fair.
Twilight Sparkle: I've been thinking a lot about how badly Equestria fared without just one group of friends. Because even when one friendship dies, the results can be disastrous.
Starlight Glimmer: I know first-hoof how true that can be.
Twilight Sparkle: And that's why I've asked you here. If you're willing to learn, I'm willing to teach you what I know. You'll have the power to make Equestria an even better place.
Starlight Glimmer: [hushed] How do I start?
Twilight Sparkle: Starting is easy! All you have to do is make a friend! And you've got seven of them right here.

-The Cutie Re-Mark, Part 2

There is a fundamental problem with this entire setup. Starlight, as previously pointed out, nearly destroyed all of reality with her little temper tantrum, and receives no punishment at all or any apparent consequences. Throughout Seasons 6 and 7, Starlight is not visibly disliked by Equestrian society and seems to have no difficulty fitting in. Similarly, there are many occassions where she screws up spectacularly, and yet gets away with it easily. Every Little Thing she Does is a case in point.

In this episode, Starlight chooses to mind control the Mane 6 (sans Twilight) in order to complete multiple friendship lessons at once (intentionally misunderstanding Twilight's instructions and trying to cut corners), and only gets a slap on the wrist for this act from Twilight, facing no real consequences for her actions.

Starlight Glimmer: Maybe if I had reversed the Fiducia Compelus and Cogeria... Or maybe I added too much Persuadere... What?
Spike: You're really missing the point here.
Twilight Sparkle: [sighs] I finally untangled that mess of a spell and got everypony home. It was really powerful stuff. They're gonna feel that in the morning. Now please try to explain to me how in the name of Celestia things got this out of control.
Starlight Glimmer: Well, it was the first time I cast that particular spell, and I didn't fully think it through. I-I bet if I had reversed—
Twilight Sparkle: I think you might be missing the point here.
Spike: Told ya.
Twilight Sparkle: What made you think that casting a spell on your friends to do your bidding was even remotely a good idea?

-Every Little Thing she Does

Starlight gives a half-assed apology and all is magically fine and dandy.

Incidentally, this sort of narrative has been done before within the franchise. That narrative is the story of Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset, like Starlight, is a former villain who changed sides similarly abruptly. However, there is a key difference between the two characters; Sunset had to fight for her redemption, as nobody in Canterlot High actually trusted her;

Sunset Shimmer: You're never gonna get away with this.
Adagio Dazzle: Why? Because you didn't? Oh, we know all about you, Sunset Shimmer. You've got quite the reputation at Canterlot High.
Sunset Shimmer: I've changed! I'm in a much better place now!
Aria Blaze: Waiting in the wings while your friends have all the fun?
Adagio Dazzle: Oh, yes, you girls are so tight. And yet... they didn't ask you to be in the band.
Aria Blaze: Probably afraid no one would want to see them play if she was in the group.

-Rainbow Rocks

Trixie Lulamoon: Good show, "Rain-brooms". I especially liked the part where Sunset Shimmer, in a fit of jealous rage, knocked out Rainbow Dash mid-guitar solo!
Sunset Shimmer: It wasn't a fit of jealous rage!

-Rainbow Rocks

Flash Sentry: Now that's the bad girl we love to hate!
Crowd: [jeering]
Octavia Melody: I knew she was still trouble!
Male student: The real Sunset Shimmer is back!
Sunset Shimmer: No. It isn't like that.

-Rainbow Rocks

By the end of Rainbow Rocks, Sunset is loved by those who know her, as she has proven she has changed. This never happened with Starlight, which is why her ultimate position as a member of the Mane 7 (and her ultimate promotion to head of the School of Friendship) feels unearned.

3. Starlight as a writer's pet

The writers of the show appeared to be aware of Starlight's mixed reputation amongst MLP fans. Unfortunately, they made a common error of television shows; instead of reworking the character to make her likeable, they instead chose to shove her into as many episodes as they could, eventually getting to the point of throwing idiot balls at the main characters. Three prime examples of this are To Where and Back Again;

Mirror Magic;

And Shadow Play, Part 2;

The problem with all of these cases is that the other characters are shoved out of the way through plot contrivance to give Starlight the leading role. In all three cases, she gives the big 'reform now' speech;

Starlight Glimmer: When Twilight and her friends defeated me, I chose to run away and seek revenge! You don't have to! You can be the leader your subjects deserve.
Queen Chrysalis: There is no revenge you could ever conceive of that will come close to what I will exact upon you one day, Starlight Glimmer!

-To Where and Back Again, Part 2

Juniper Montage: Who would want to be my friend?
Starlight Glimmer: I would.
Juniper Montage: Why?
Starlight Glimmer: Because I understand you, Juniper. You think getting revenge is going to make you feel better, but it's not! Please, don't make a mistake that you'll end up regretting for the rest of your life.

-Mirror Magic

Stygian: No! I wanted their respect. I brought them together. I planned strategy, and I read all I could about the beasts we faced. But I didn't have magic or strength, so nopony ever noticed me. I went to Ponhenge to make my own copies of the artifacts. With them, I thought I could be a Pillar, too, and stand by their side in battle. I never wanted to steal their power. But instead of sharing and letting me help, my friends threw me out. [voice deepening and growling] So I became stronger than any of them! The darkness welcomed me when no pony would, and I will do what I must to protect it!
Twilight Sparkle: This is all a misunderstanding! If the Pillars knew how you felt, I'm sure they wouldn't have turned their backs on you. The shadow isn't who you really are. Let me help you be Stygian again.
Stygian: Even if my friends did still care, what makes you think you have the power to help me?
Starlight Glimmer: Because it's what she does. I wasn't so different from you, and Twilight helped me change. If there's one pony in Equestria that can save a friendship, it's her.
Stygian: I... I want to believe you... [growls] But the darkness will not be stopped!

-Shadow Play, Part 2

The third case is especially egregious, as Starlight is the only one who even considers the possibility that the Pony of Shadows might want to reform. Now imagine if they'd done this with characters with historic connections to the villains (less so for Juniper, as she was another Starlight). How brilliant would that have been?

In Part 2, I shall outline how I would have written Starlight Glimmer and her redemption, had I been in the lead writer's chair. See you then!

Honestly, what they should have done with Starlight is to cut off her horn, send her to Tartarus and forget that she had ever existed.

That might not be the best of idea, given how flimsy Tartarus' security seems to be.

Honestly they should have done that, kept her a villain, and have her be a part of the jail brake crew, even without her magic she would have been grate as a mastermind

Starlight's redemption also felt bad because Twilight said roughly "She has the most powerful magic I've ever seen" it kindoff makes you think had Starlight been an earth pony, or even a unicorn bad with magic she might have been forgiven but not immidatly made Twilight's pupil. It felt like Twilight was saying "I want her, she's powerful, I don't care who she is as a pony." To be fair Celestia's reasoning for reforming Discord was "his magic could do great things for Equestria" but I expect Twilight to be a lot less Machivelian for who she decides to redeem and teach.

Starlight is what made me quit the show, but honestly I suffered through alot of bad episodes, if the end of Season 5 happened and she dispeared with maybe returning once a season I would have been ok. The show has had some very bad episodes and I could forgive a bad finaly with a bad villain motive. I would be upset because Starlight was(And still is) my favorite villain(if we only include the season opener) but I could deal. I suffered through Spike at your Service.

The main problem with reforming of Starshit Himmler that her "redemption" looks like attemt of 2 gays to conceive a child. The more they try the more their asses hurt.

The watchers understand that and have a questions like "why Hasbro push the character they don't care for and don't understand why Twilight with M6 should care fore down their throat".

If she has mental illnes then she must be taken under medical care. You can't rationalize insane.

What's more Himmler is not even a character because she has no personality and behevioral pattern. In every episode where she appears she act differently. The way screenwriter wanted so Himmler is always the winner and her action has no consequens to her. One episode she's hysterical bitch other one she solves a problem. BTW he hysteric in the final of S5 when she suddenly start to cries that she nearly destroyed the world just don't work too. People just don't change their behavior so fast but that's what screenwriter wanted.

Where's part 2?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9