I HATE Starlight Glimmer 143 members · 54 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20

A person recently opened an interesting post about good starlight episodes, and I mentioned it was ironic because I was going to write a post about Starlight episodes that are unpleasant. I am wondering what episodes would you say and why?

every little thing she dose. that whole episode is an argument agents starlight

Comment posted by Vigriff deleted Sep 4th, 2020

it simple ever time she show up in the show it a bad espiode

Except for Uncommon Bond and To Change A Changeling.

Shadow Play, Every Little Thing She Does, and To Where And Back Again for me. Shadow Play because she's the Sane Mare while everyone else is too stupid to even question everything around them(especially Twilight), Every Little Thing She Does doesn't even need an explanation, and To Where And Back Again is blatant Character Shilling for her.

I'll go ahead and say all of them, as well. But I think the worst examples are "Every Little Thing" and "A Royal Problem".

Yes, "A Royal Problem".

The map suddenly selects Starlight after only ever selecting the Mane Six. The royal princesses act like spoiled babies. Starlight does what she always does and gets no punishment for it, and instead gets praise. It's the most blatant Mary Sue episode Starlight has ever been in.

No wonder I forgot about A Royal Problem.

"Every Little Thing She Does" is literally Starlight's "Lesson Zero." It's a low point for Starlight and Twilight respectively, and that gave them a chance to rebound off that and grow.

What's the same between the two episodes? Well, a powerful unicorn, the personal protege of a Princess, has to do a friendship lesson. She attempts to learn a lesson the traditional way, but quickly gets overwhelmed. With no way of learning a friendship lesson in sight, each respective unicorn protagonist resorts to magic as a means to learn her friendship lesson. They each then deliberately hypnotize several ponies. The situation rapidly spirals farther and farther out of control until a Princess shows up to set things right. The unicorn mares each learn a valuable friendship lesson in the process.

And you know what? Starlight learned that lesson! The next few times we see her, she's either deprived of her magic ("To Where and Back Again"), in a situation that doesn't require use of magic ("Celestial Advice"), or deliberately trying not to use her magic ("All Bottled Up"). I actually really like "Every Little Thing She Does" because of the episodes it sets up later in Starlight's arc. (I like it in itself too because it's just so silly. And AJ's references are both funny and well-timed. "With a whole lotta power comes a heck of a lot of responsibility!" Ironically, Starlight seemed in need of that lesson on power and responsibility. Well played, writers.)

"Celestial Advice" seemed like a throwaway episode, as the entire episode built up to something that never actually happened. And it's sitting in the season premiere spot, which means we didn't get a season premiere with a villain in it. Kind of underwhelming; imo the weakest season premiere in the show.

Trixie was rather grating in "All Bottled Up," and that's saying something because I'm usually a pretty big fan of Trixie. I went so far as to draft a redemption arc for her even before she got one. That said, even with Starlight's growth from "Every Little Thing She Does," I feel like she made a pendulum swing in the opposite direction from "I'm going to use magic for everything" to "I'm never going to use magic ever." The TrixGlam shipping was a high point of the episode. (They're so cute together!)

ok, I see what your saying but here's the thing. BRAINWASHING PEOPLE IS BAD.

she didn't get the point that the lessons were to spend time with friend and instead just decided to rocket threw them. unlike twilight there was something inherently wrong with what she was doing instead of it just being something with her character like twilight wanting to stay punctual. she sees noshing wrong with taking her friend's (and I use the term loosely) Free will away. she is still an Absolut sociopath. and the other forgave her at the drop of a had even thaw they have every right to be furious with her. she continues to show that she's nothing more then a writers pet by getting away by doing horrible thing with out any consequences

also Trixglam is a very unhealthy relationship if starlight feels the need to magically surprises her emotions

Interesting, everything being said here. I'm afraid however I hate Trixglam (Note: I don't ship every single pair of friends like most people do/ most same sex ships seem forced rather than making sense) mostly because I don't like Starlight, and "all bottled up" made Trixie annoying but at the same time hilarious, I can't really blame Starlight for getting mad however, it's just how poor she handled it.

What do you mean when you say "magically surprise her emotions?"

I forgot to say that in "lesson Zero", Twilight had reached a state similar to a psychotic break and lost control of herself, in "every little thing she does", Starlight was perfectly sane and knew exactly what she was doing.

unlike twilight there was something inherently wrong with what she was doing

Starlight used magic to try to speed up a friendship lesson. Twilight went out of her way to deliberately create a friendship problem where no problem existed before. And in doing that, she deliberately subverted the free will of three fillies, and accidentally subverted the free will of most the rest of Ponyville. There is most definitely something wrong with what she did. This is "Like Twilight," not "Unlike Twilight."

she didn't get the point that the lessons were to spend time with friend and instead just decided to rocket threw them

You're trying to fault her actions during the episode using the lesson she learned at the end of the episode. That's not how this show works.

also Trixglam is a very unhealthy relationship

To be honest, I shipped StarBurst before I watched "To Where and Back Again." The interactions there between Trixie and Starlight just... I don't know. They struck a chord with me. We've seen Trixie and Starlight interact just fine in other episodes. "All Bottled Up" is more of an isolated event and less of their daily relationship. Everyone has their days when they need their space, and invariably on those days, slightly irritating things that others do become 10x more irritating.

in "every little thing she does", Starlight was perfectly sane and knew exactly what she was doing.

Starlight put on a mask for her villagers for who knows how many years. I find it extremely likely that she is good at hiding her stress. When she enters Twilight's library in "Every Little Thing She Does," we can see her start to lose it just for a moment. She repeatedly breathes in extremely deeply and a bit fast. I would liken this to the exercises my counselor taught me to help stave off anxiety attacks--a psychological condition that, among other things, makes its victims lose control over their breathing rate. Starlight was clearly operating under stress here (much like Twilight was).

Putting on a mask is the first way she copes; taking immediate action is the second. We've seen it time and again. Whether it's her town, her friends, or the Princesses themselves. Starlight doesn't like problems; she wants to fix them. That's a good quality, but it needs a proper channel or it runs the risk of causing more harm than good, as evidenced in "Every Little Thing She Does." True to her character, Starlight tried to fix the problem. She saw that no progress was taking place, so she decided (if I may reuse a quote from "Lesson Zero") "If I can't find progress, I'll make it!")

Another point while we're on the topic of "Lesson Zero": Twilight's deadline was perceived. Starlight's deadline was real. Twilight said, and I quote, "You can tackle a friendship lesson today and we can review your progress when I get back later this evening." Twilight only gave her one day--actually, more like 12 hours, and that's a very generous estimate--and that was after she knew this sort of time-bound system didn't always work. My question is, why?

Closing thought: Why were multiple spellbooks on psychological manipulation in Twilight's library to begin with?

This is the conclusion I've come to. I think you in the wrong group.

[Starlight put on a mask for her villagers for who knows how many years. I find it extremely likely that she is good at hiding her stress. When she enters Twilight's library in "Every Little Thing She Does," we can see her start to lose it just for a moment. She repeatedly breathes in extremely deeply and a bit fast.

That's not entirely the same as what went on with Twilight Sparkle.
Starlight is experiencing anxiety and nervousness at this moment as I can see that she is experiencing stress but this all does not suggest a breaking point for her. Twilight was also under stress in which it began to manifest itself into a panicky manic episode, Starlight was arguably, just anxious, whereas Twilight, was scared to the point of temporary madness.

I would liken this to the exercises my counselor taught me to help stave off anxiety attacks--a psychological condition that, among other things, makes its victims lose control over their breathing rate. Starlight was clearly operating under stress here (much like Twilight was).

Anxiety is not always a condition, as said before Twilight's was arguably a real mental episode. Notice that Starlight almost instantly becomes calm and focused when she comes up with a solution, to mind control the mane 5, whereas Twilight wasn't when she figured out that the only solution was to create a problem instead of fixing it. (Something that Twilight in her normal state of mind would never resolve to)

Putting on a mask is the first way she copes; taking immediate action is the second. We've seen it time and again. Whether it's her town, her friends, or the Princesses themselves. Starlight doesn't like problems; she wants to fix them. That's a good quality, but it needs a proper channel or it runs the risk of causing more harm than good, as evidenced in "Every Little Thing She Does." True to her character, Starlight tried to fix the problem. She saw that no progress was taking place, so she decided (if I may reuse a quote from "Lesson Zero") "If I can'tfindprogress, I'llmakeit!")

In all these scenes we see Starlight trying to cop out the easy way while she knows exactly what she is doing, even when she is under pressure.
Starlight was reprimanded and scolded for using her magic against ponies multiple times, only to do it again in a future episode implying that she still isn't learning and is doing this all while perfectly sane. She even told the princesses that she "went with her gut", when she changed their cutie marks without their approval. She uses magic on Big Mac because she doesn't want to befriend quiet ponies, all just to dodge a problem, where in lesson Zero, Twilight creates a problem in her mental illness.

Another point while we're on the topic of "Lesson Zero": Twilight's deadline wasperceived.Starlight's deadline wasreal.Twilight said, and I quote, "You can tackle a friendship lesson today and we can review your progress when I get back later this evening." Twilight only gave her one day--actually, more like 12 hours, and that's a very generous estimate--and that was after sheknewthis sort of time-bound system didn't always work. My question is, why?

I agree with the first thing you said but Twilight trusts Starlight that's why she gave her this specific time.

Closing thought: Why were multiple spellbooks on psychological manipulation in Twilight's library to begin with?

This really hasn't anything to do explaining Twilight's own fit of madness in lesson Zero. I'm sorry but I don't really have an answer, than again, it is possible that she wants to learn more about it.

you know whats fucking stupid, is that starlight is apparently the one with so much hate built up and not trixie, who actually has a reason to hate. fucking hated this episode so much. that and "every little thing she does" cemented my hatred of her.

Comment posted by Axle the Cobalt Exorcist deleted Nov 29th, 2019
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20