Ponies After People 897 members · 98 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

I wondered what will happen to normal equines and other hoofed animals that were travelling in vehicles during the Event, and then they come back hundreds or thousands of years in the future? Will these returned equines be able to talk and be bewildered by their changes as much as human returnees are bewildered by their changes?

Horse trailer

Imagine a returnee truck that is pulling a "gooseneck" style horse trailer that also has living quarters in the front for people to use. Imagine how both the people and their horses cope with the changes brought about by the Equestrian spell.

Or they ended up as piles of roadrashed meat when the trailers they were riding in vanished from around them at highway speeds.

Or they were like "Ha! Who is an stupid horse now?"

We saw in the original story that some animals were getting smarter, so I'd imagine that's what would happen to those horses. I could see them coming back with near-human sapience, or at least sentience. Might take a while to teach them to talk, but we know Equestrian cows can. They'd just better hope the humans don't come back as Griffons, or the horses might be on the menu... :pinkiegasp:

Of course, having the horses Return as Ponies, but in their original colors might prove very interesting... :twilightsmile:

Personally I don't think the horses would reappear with sentience. Humans are affected by the spell, but not necessarily animals. Their own sapience was acquired after several generations of being exposed to post-Event conditions a.k.a. magical/thaumic field-based intelligence (and in certain case cross-breeding with Equestrian equines), so bringing a pre-Event horse would be like a caveman turning up in 2015.

They'd just better hope the humans don't come back as Griffons, or the horses might be on the menu... :pinkiegasp:

If it talks back, don't eat it. How hard is that? And if the griffons used to be the horses' owners... who the hell eats his own horse?

Something like this scenario already has happened in the Equestria Girls universe. Remember in “Friendship Games” when Spike the dog was struck by Equestrian magic, gaining the ability to think and speak like a human being?

As the entire vehicle transfers into the time stream with the humans driving or riding them, so would any normal animals being carried in them, or pulling them. While within the time stream, animals in direct contact with pure Equestrian magic would be transformed the same way as Spike the dog, gaining the ability to think and speak like human beings.

There are many opportunities for comedy and drama when these vehicles return from the time stream. For example, the former human horse and livestock owners must be careful talking to their uplifted animals, especially when they intended to ship horses to the glue factory or cows to the slaughterhouse. Returnee former humans that are now much smaller than their horses and cows should not get their former animals angry at them.

Daisy the cow: “You little, mean ponies were going to do what to us? Daisy smart person, not hamburger! Daisy now is angry! Daisy will now smash little, mean ponies!”

To reduce the amount of fandom drama, we should default to the establish cannon universe whenever we are able to.

Can't say I watched EG, not a fan. Ain't exactly what drew me here in the first place. I'm more interested in all the sentient fantasy species that are actually different from the run-of-the-mill bipeds.

That being said, it does make me think of cattle carriers. That could be an interesting way to quickly boost the population of a colony without resorting to a cruise or naval vessel or cause quadruple digit loss of life.

Me ranting about ships aside, I do wonder whether species would be 'uplifted' quicker if they passed through the time stream rather than by developping their sapience slowly over the course of several generations. If this were the case, you could wind up with sapient (rein)deer a few centuries earlier than normal. That can make for interesting character development when they realize they're the only members of their species that are actually sentient.

For the record, I do remember an anecdote about one herd of reindeer being transported by ro-ro ferry from Gothenburg to a French port, Cherbourg I believe.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7