OC Slamjam 61 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

By now this group is dead and it would be pointless to post here. But I feel like some kind of redemption is required on my part.

It's been nearly two years since the SlamJam and I've been working on OddLuck's story since. I'm happy to say that I have a full plot ready and well-thought-out and will most likely publish it before or during summer. But that's not why I'm writing this.

After the SlamJam was over I wrote a few blogs that were... very disagreeable. My only excuse is that -- at the time -- I was young and didn't know any better. Now that I'm eighteen years old and mature, I felt the need to come back and apologize. I'm sorry I made myself look like a cringe-worthy, lack-luster writing moron on a My Little Pony fanfiction website.

After going back to the SlamJam compilation, I read some of the comments -- mostly every comment that had to do with OddLuck -- to find out what everyone really thought of the character. I was relieved that people liked the idea of her. Surprisingly, I was not upset to see a few comments about my poor writing style. (a) At the time of writing OddLuck vs. Mizuko, I was not as avid of a reader as I am now. I used read from time to time then, but I was hardly a beginner. Now I hope to get into screenwriting one day -- I'm even thinking of earning an English Major to help my career. (b) It was true what I said about not finishing the story. Though when I said I was busy the entire week, that wasn't true: I got into some trouble and got grounded. I managed to write something by using a tablet I kept hidden somewhere in my room. When I figured out the due date -- more specifically, due hour -- was near, I knew I had to write something. I finished half the story than had to rush the ending.

My writing has come a long way since then. I have a higher vocabulary, and even if you don't find my sentence structure to be professional, it's defiantly more advanced than the average high schooler's. I also put a lot of thought into what I write and hope to share them someday. I'm also an admin for a review group and hope to become more active there someday. Also, I got into Varsity Theater thanks to two really well-written monologues I wrote and presented to the class (One was about Mr. T yelling at an orange to unpeel itself and at the end, the orange shot him [Grade I Got: 98 {The only issue was eye contact}]; the other monologue was about a breed of hippocampus called hippicampus, which is like a hippocampus, only it has the genes of a hippie[Grade: 97 {The issue here was that I stuttered a couple of times and lost my place}].).

So yeah, I hope to finish OddLuck's story very soon, and I hope to do so in a way that makes my entry into the Slamjam redeeming. So far these are the characters from the SlamJam that I'll be using: Firefly, Mizuko, and Loosestrife. My goal is to use as many characters as possible. If I make a request to use your character and you're worried I won't write them accurately, don't worry: characterization will be my highest priority while writing this story.

This blog will probably not reach an audience, but, eh, it was worth the shot.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

I'm interested in seeing that story when you're done! :) Very few people kept the spirit of the Slamjam alive, so I'm always happy to see what little there is! (Happy to loan out Loosestrife, too!)

Real talk: it's been long enough that likely everyone has forgotten what you might have said, but it's still cool that you've been able to reflect on your behavior and your writing enough to write this. :) Good on you!

Also, don't major in English. c.c Just trust me. Take a minor if you feel it could help, maybe try a technical writing course. English majors are a financial dead-end.

5859016 I never held it against you for the things you said. We all put our foot in our mouths at times. :twilightsmile:

Very interested in reading your story once it's finished.

I'm actually an English major, and I have to agree: There aren't a lot of job prospects with such a broad area of study. I'm mostly banking on the fact I'm taking a more-specified track and have a minor in Digital Media.

Besides, writing is one of those things that you can learn if you simply do it enough. Keep practicing, and you'll probably be fine. (And be sure to read; nothing helps like knowing what came before!)

5859068 Thanks a lot! And as I keep saying, Loosestrife will be in the first chapter. Though a major change has been made to her: she's now a secondary protagonist. Without spoiling much, the story plays her off as OddLuck's roommate and they eventually go on an adventure together. I depict Loosestrife entirely different from the stern former military strategist that she is, but there's a perfectly good reason to that, which you will see as the story continues. If you don't mind, I would like to send you first scene Loosestrife appears in when it's done. I want to narrow her character down perfectly so I have something to work off of as the story progresses.

(Fun Fact: In the original draft I meant for OddLuck to get drunk and accidentally adopt twenty-four orphans. Loosestrife would stay behind and take care of them and Mizuko would be the secondary protagonist instead. Also, I finally read the SlamJam entries of Loosestrife vs. Capslock -- Loosestrife should've won! :raritydespair:)

5859220 I'm working on it! The only thing preventing me from getting past the first few paragraphs is motivation. One reason why it's taking so long is because I have to do a lot of research in order to narrow down the details. Sometimes I read through the paragraphs and scoff because I find so much of it to be inappropriate to the story and another part of me says it's working just fine.

I'm still trying to figure out how OddLuck and Mizuko meet. I want them to go on an adventure together and become friends. Luckily, I have plenty of time to think how that will happen. My only concern is getting Mizuko's character spot on.

If you two want, since your characters are already part of the story and you two have already seen the Introduction I wrote a year back, I can send you two the first few paragraphs of the final draft (of the Introduction). This way you two can see how the story will go from then on.

minor in Digital Media

Digital Media is that one class I really want a take because it gives me the chance to work with computers and pictures -- something I'm experienced in with my free time. It'll give me the chance to learn to use photoshop. All I've been using to edit pictures was Microsoft Office Word, which can be a photoshop if you know how to use it.

Though I mostly plan on going to film school and majoring in that area.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Yeah, Digital Media is definitely worth going for. With the growing use of computers, it's definitely a useful skill to be knowledgeable in.

5859610 Don't hesitate to ask for advice on how to portray Mizuko. :twilightsmile:

One tip I have for working up the motivation is something they teach you fairly quickly in any creative writing class. Write first, think later. Just breeze through your first draft, and then come back and actually put thought into your second. Get the basic framework down pat before refining it to actually be good, essentially.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9