Night Glider 382 members · 79 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Who here thinks that Party Favor and Night Glider would make an awesome couple/pairing? Why aren’t there even any romance stories featuring them?

I think they look cute together

Because, "Ew, Straight."

The real answer is because neither of them have any personality or hooks. There are an abundance of cute ponies to work with. They're mostly color-swaps of each other, with a few minor details shifted around. If you happen to like the color schemes of those two, that's cool and all, but hardly imagination-inspiring.

Back in the early days of the fandom, even the main characters were not well-established. People jumped on any character that was at all distinct. Derpy was not latched onto due to her personality. Which we still know next to nothing about. She was latched onto for her silly eyes, an animation error originally. People leapt on backgrounds like DJ Pon3 and Octavia as distinct-looking background characters. Lyra and Bon Bon were latched on to for being seen so often together in the background, which the show animators (not even the writers or anyone else, mind you) simply because those two background assets were visually appealing and complimentary in colors.

These days we have plenty of characters that are actually developed and interesting. There is much less need to imagine out the background characters. Sure, some folks still do so, but you're asking about popularity not mere existence. Most people are interested in more interesting, developed characters. They ship characters not simply because of some aesthetic visual elements like in the old days, but on actual characterization and personality.

So, to answer your first question: No. I don't think they'd make an awesome pairing. I don't think they'd make a bad pairing. I don't think they'd make a pairing. I don't think they wouldn't make a pairing. I have zero thoughts about them as a pair. They appear to be friends. They live in the same village. Maybe they like each other, have a relationship, and it works out. Nothing worth writing stories about though.

If they inspire you to write their story, then write it. Whatever excuse you have for not doing so and coming to the forums to try to lure others into doing so instead is your answer as to why no one else has done it already. It isn't interesting, and only people with really specific tastes (and a distinct lack of ability) care.

They appear to be friends. They live in the same village. Maybe they like each other, have a relationship, and it works out.

In “Hard to Say Anything,” Night Glider and Party Favor have a brief cameo where they appear to be on a date (which the CMC interrupt with their shenanigans).

But earlier, based on some minor details in “The Cutie Map” two-parter, I got the impression that Night Glider had a big crush on Double Diamond. So how did she go from crushing on one stallion, to dating a different one? Did she date DD and things just didn’t work out, and now Party Favor is her rebound? Did she just get over the crush? Did she chicken out, and now she’s dying on the inside as she settles for her second pick? There’s a story in there, somewhere. I have an idea, and vague plans to write it.

Honestly, my take on why no one has done anything regarding these two yet (to my knowledge at least) is due to that it is obscure and there's next to nothing from the fans to feed the flame of support for this ship.

While I'm only partially agreeing with Cryosite's response to you, in that ships these days rely heavily on personality and general interest on the characters involve (and, the fact we did technically latch on to Derpy for her weird eyes), I've always felt more that was always the case. I've never done, or supported, ships that were done merely because they looked good together, but more on how their personality was and how they were portrayed in artwork and stories. True, the background ponies' personalities were strictly conjured up by the fans rather than actually relying on what little canon info we knew back in the earlier seasons, but in a lot of ways it worked in my opinion.

Take Vinyl and Octavia for example, they back in the day they had really contrasting personalities, one that seemed a bit more like they'd sooner hate each other rather than date each other; but stories I've read such as "Allegrezza" by Gravekeeper, "Two's a Company, Three's a Crowd" by Lilith Kamitatsy, and "Stages" by Bunnybooze79 were some of the strong samples that presented how their oddball personalities meshed in a way that made sense, felt natural, and were an absolute joy to read as their relationship develops, and further convince me to love that particular ship.

Me personally, I'm on the fence about these two being a couple. I have no reason to not like the idea of them being together, but I've got no reason to really like it either. As Cryosite said, if you're inspired enough to write a story or draw something regarding these two, then go for it. Who knows, it might be your work that helps feed the embers that were placed after "Hard to Say Anything" and help get the fire going.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5