The Skeptics’ Guide to Equestria 60 members · 79 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

I thought this kind of stuff wasn't allowed publicly on this website, but when I saw the other threads on this group forum, I realized there is no moderation.

There is somebody that I know who doesn't like soy-based products because they contain estrogen, and will make them grow breasts. I have tried arguing that the phytoestrogen in soy is not the same as normal estrogen, and in fact, a lot weaker. They don't care. I have also tried arguing that they are fine eating peas and peanuts, even though they also contain phytoestrogen. They said that there is something in peas and peanuts that "counteract" the estrogen. When I asked what, they didn't know.
Also, they also hate canola oil too, they won't eat anything cooked with it. When I asked why, they said that it's just unhealthy, after further questioning, they said that the human body can't digest it. I asked what enzymes are the human body missing, they don't know. I asked how do they know that canola oil is bad? They said that all of the doctors they follow online say that canola oil is bad. Advice?

Walabio
Group Admin

¡Welcome to the group!

This will take time.

Off the cut, it is not "good" and "evil" but a continuum. This will take time and I have to leave soon for work. We shall have to pick this up later.

Protip:

Go to WikiPedia and read the references. Read the primary literature.

You should tell them that if they are eating meats from any herbivorous animals, or drinking cow’s milk, they are ingesting plant oestrogen on top of what the animal normally produced, and he has no clue what the animal ate before it died. Also things like rice, beer, apples, carrots, coffee etc. contain those chemicals too.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7642953 First of all, acknowledge the possibility that they're right and you're wrong. Just because I don't know the exact Ph of an acid, doesn't mean it's safe to swim in.

Walabio
Group Admin

About soy, the literature is a clear as thin mud:

Some studies support the null-hypthesis (no statistical correlation). Other studies say that it is slightly good for health. Other studies indicate it is slightly bad for health. ¿What should your friends take from this?;

Soy, like Earth, is mostly harmless, with possible weak detrimental and positive effects. I would not worry about it.

CanolaOil comes from RapeSeed and rape is bad; so now, your friends are right. :scootangel:

CanolaOil contains Erucic acid which is toxic to the heart, but selective breeding has reduced Erucic acid to less than 2%, which is probably safe. If do not not want to take chances, that is okay, but studies show that food cooked CanolaOil is healthier for the heart than food cooked in animal grease. Here are 2 tables of typical chemistry and nutrition of CanolaOil (FiMFiction does not support: tables; so now, you must go to another site to look at the tables or I must embed them as images):

Health & Nutrition

Here is a table comparing edible VegetableOil:

CanolaOil Compared to other Edible VegetableOils

An important thing to not is that it does not start to smoke until 238 C. One does not want to set off the SmokeDetectors. This is why the "SuperFood" CocoNutOil sucks, and one simply cannot cook in LinSeedOil.

> "They said that all of the doctors they follow online say that canola oil is bad."

To address this point, You must get your friends to give names. If the name is Doctor Oz, I suggest that your friends remember that one can trust neither werewolves nor wizards nor wizarding werewolves.

NachoTheBrony
Group Admin

What makes you think that there's no moderation here? Counting me, you're up to three group admins answering you.
The thing is that we enjoy debate.

Walabio
Group Admin

What NachoTheBrony wrote:

No ad equum, but everything is up for debate. If an idea cannot withstand scrutiny, it is not worth believing. We never attack each other but tear apart the ideas of each other; but amicably however, at the end of the night, we shake hooves and say "¡Same time next week!".

They said they forgot where they learned that canola oil is bad. When I questioned farther, they gave me two names that also say that canola oil is bad. They still don't know where they first found this out.
: Joseph Mercola and Mike Adams

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7645277 Where did you find out it was good?

I didn't say it is good for you. It's just another vegetable oil.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7645389 What if it's bad?

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7645413 Do you have any evidence that it's not?

Walabio
Group Admin

¡I am back (I actually got back yesterday, but crawled straight into bed and slept 14 hours)! ¡DisneyLand rules!

Bad Dragon is being contrarians, which is good because it helps overturn popular but wrong believes:

The null hypothesis is that these products do nothing. They also might be detrimental or beneficial. These are the results:

Soy falls mostly under null, but with some results being beneficial or detrimental. Like the Earth, soy is mostly harmless.

CanolaOil falls within the null hypothesis. Basically it is neither good nor bad. It just exists, minding its own business.

About Joseph Mercola and Mike Adams are grifters. Joseph Mercola is not a real physician, but an osteopath. At least Joseph Mercola has a degree in nonsense while Mike Adams is a pure confidence-man —— ¡he makes the Flim & Flam Brothers look like Saints!

Michæl Allen Adams

Joseph Mercola

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14